Tbolt Charging issue

davidlnewman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I always charge my phone (while off) overnight and take it off the charger in the morning when I wake up. Sometimes it charges 100%, other times it will only charge maybe 94% or even 88%. I do nothing different. I always check and see that the charging light is on after I plug the charger in. I am using the standard charger that came with the phone. Can anyone help?

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Part of it is probably OS load time checking for updates, time to acquire signal etc. Mine is the same way and so was my incredible.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When you leave your phone on the charger, the way it works is this.... it will charge to 100 percent and then it will let itself "drift down" to maybe 90-95 or so (depending on the specific device/charger) before it starts charging to 100 percent again. This cycle goes on indefinitely. If you just happen to unplug it when it is at the 90-95 percent point in this cycle (and the light will continue to show green at that point), you'll leave the house with a 90-95 percent charge. Just the way Lithium battery charge management works. It's not really unique to the ThunderBolt.

-Frank

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend the Seidio Multi Function Battery Charger and a couple extra batteries (one standard, one extended) and you'll always have a charged battery at the ready. I have two standard and one extended and rarely use the stock charger anymore. When I go to swap out a battery, they are always at 100%. To confirm what Frank is saying, the other night I did use the stock charger with the extended battery in the phone and in the morning when taking it off the charger, it was only at approx. 93% charge. So it was definitely in the middle of that cycle where it wasn't charging the battery anymore. Again, I never have this problem when using the Multi Function battery charger. Also, the convenience of having a fully charged battery at the ready on any given notice is invaluable! :)

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
What FrankXS said. It is normal for the charger to turn off at 100% and turn back on around 95%.

Now, why do you turn off the phone at night? :confused:
If the battery has dropped down to 95% on charge (normal). You pull the plug then power the phone on, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you lose another 4% or 5% or more just on the power up. If you leave the phone on, you will typically be in the 95 to 100% range when you unplug it.

Jo5329

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I put mine on Airplane mode before going to bed. Sometimes updates and emails would stop the charging process over night (shrug). Just what works for me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone set to beep when the phone is fully charged, then I unplug it before I go to bed, then charge it a little bit more in the morning when I wake up.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone set to beep when the phone is fully charged, then I unplug it before I go to bed, then charge it a little bit more in the morning when I wake up.

Same thing that I do. Wake up, take the Bolt off the charger, then once Battery Monitor Widget reports its real % (usually 90-95) I just plug it back in. By the time I'm finished showering and getting ready for the day it'll be at 99% or 100%.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Why not just leave it on charge all night. The phone charging system is smart and automatically turns off the charge at 100%. Even the batery itself has a safety in it to prevent overcharging. Keeping it on the charger can only extend the battery life, and you always have a charged battery.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Why not just leave it on charge all night. The phone charging system is smart and automatically turns off the charge at 100%. Even the batery itself has a safety in it to prevent overcharging. Keeping it on the charger can only extend the battery life, and you always have a charged battery.

Because of earlier posts stating the facts... If you just let it charge and pull it off, you run the chance of it being at 94% when you unplug it. If you plug it back in while you're getting ready, you're pretty much guaranteeing it will be higher than that when you pull it off the charger again on your way out the door since it won't be on a de-charging mode.

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem so once a week, generally on a weekend, I shut the phone down at night and let it charge. When I wake up, I do a bump charge 1 time. That fills the battery to 100%. This helps keep my battery at full working capacity, gets rid of the problem of waking to a battery that is at 95% and seems to extend the time it takes for my battery to discharge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201