Tethering with WiFi?

keelon.ellis

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
So I got a desktop computer today and we have wireless internet....I just don't have a wireless card....so is there anyway I can connect to wireless from my phone and tether using my wifi connection

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

AT&T will want to charge you for this. If you sign up for their tethering plan for the likes of an extra $20/month, you can do this through official channels.

If you root your phone you can do it without going through AT&T... but if they catch you they might slap the plan on you or some other stuff, dunno. Some methods are supposedly stealthier than others. I pretty much have wifi most places I go so I haven't needed to face this issue.

For some people it might make sense to pay that vs the cost of a home internet conneciton... but be aware that if your data plan is capped (as anything new on AT&T is these days) the limit goes a lot faster on a PC than it does on a phone. The tethering I think comes with a 4GB cap (double the 2GB, and still far more than the 200mb).. but even that goes very quickly doing stuff you might be accustomed to on a PC or laptop.

sphinx23

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Paying for a tether plan is crazy when your phone can do a wi-fi connection by rooting it,sure beats having to pay those extra costs and if you have an unlimited data plan you could connect to other devices while on the go without worrying about the capped plans.

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I had to read it twice but, keelon.ellis is asking how to use his phone to connect his desktop pc (no wireless adapter) to his wifi router for internet.

I just tried this on my phone and worked rather surprisingly.

With your WIFI On on your phone, go to Settings/Wireless and Network/Tethering
Plug your phone in to your computer's USB. Then you should see USB Tethering highlight to be able to enable tethering. Once you turn it on, it will load up a network driver for the computer and you are ready to go from there.
*if it doesn't work, you may first need to install Samsung driver for pc here. thanks to AC's DroidXcon's page here.

I tested speedtest.net on my laptop, with its wifi off of course, tethered to the phone and got full download/upload speed off my internet connection. It also displayed my ISP so I was sure it wasn't using my phone's data connection.

Although this is nice, it would be best to buy a wireless adapter for your PC. They are extremely cheap now.

Here's a couple examples to get you started.
Amazon.com: TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter: Electronics

Amazon.com: AirLink101 AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter: Electronics

I'd choose the mini usb if the wireless router is near by or one with an antenna if farther away. For obvious reasons. Hope it helps.

-GeNeS

phaggard

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Be advised that your desktop will suck so much data through your phone you might get some high data charges depending on your phone data plan.

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
the method I described above does NOT use your phone's 2g/3g/4g connection, it's your home connection's wireless internet.

For this method to be described as actually tethering AT&T data, I would give a big F U to AT&T if they charged people in this type of manner.