Text messages waking up the screen when using stock / default messages app

Abbers27

Apr 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi

Is there a way for the text messages to not wake up your phone everytime you receive them?

I was using Textra because I'm not sure there's a way. But I like how in the default / stock messages app that you can see when some of your contacts have read your messages.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Unfortunately unless the app you use (in this case, the stock one... Which doesn't) supports disabling this, messaging always wakes up the screen. Also ufnortunate, Textra doesn't seem keen on implementing RCS (i.e. What allows you to see when someone read a text) as they keep blaming Google as not opening up the RCS profile.

You MAY be able to get this to happen if you use Edge Lightign, as that does have an option to toggle 'show while screen is off' (haven't tried it, so don't know if texts still force it to light up and I use Google Messages).

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Nope. Unfortunately unless the app you use (in this case, the stock one... Which doesn't) supports disabling this, messaging always wakes up the screen. Also ufnortunate, Textra doesn't seem keen on implementing RCS (i.e. What allows you to see when someone read a text) as they keep blaming Google as not opening up the RCS profile.

You MAY be able to get this to happen if you use Edge Lightign, as that does have an option to toggle 'show while screen is off' (haven't tried it, so don't know if texts still force it to light up and I use Google Messages).
Google literally hasn't released the api for rcs to anyone but samsung. That is an accurate statement by the dev team of textra.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Yes, enabling Edge Lighting and toggling "show while screen is off" will prevent the screen from being woken up. I would use this, except it's slightly buggy - I often double tap on the notification (AOD enabled) from standby screen to go straight to the message, but this fails to work sometimes. This process which doesn't work 100% of the time is too much for my OCD tendencies haha.

But yes, if you're not concerned about that issue, it's actually a nice way to get notified of new messages.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Google Messages now uses Google itself to enable RCS (so if your carrier doesn't support it, it can just go through their own servers and make it work). BUT you have to either be having a conversation with another Google Messages user or a carrier that supports cross-carrier RCS (like T-Mobile) or you won't really see the benefits of it. Also, remember that RCS conversations are 'locked' and cannot be backed up by 3rd party tools or read by other apps (i.e. if you have an RCS chat going and you switch apps to a 3rd party one, those chats cannot be accessed).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez