Text notification/preview -- show on locked/AoD/sleep screen (like iphone)?

sb65

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend just switched from iPhone to Android and is really missing the feature of her iphone 5 in which with the screen off, when a text notification arrived, the screen would wake up and show who the text was from and the first line of verbiage. We have so far been unable to figure out how to do this on her new S7 and she really misses it, finding it a bit of a pain to have to turn the phone on to see who sent the text. We tried installing Glimpse to do this, but it also is not working.

She is using the stock samsung messaging app. When a text arrives, it does show as a notification on the AoD (not not if AoD is off) and has the notification sound.

Are we just missing some setting? Every setting I have found is so that notifications will show on lock screen or a sleep screen, but so far, no dice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's just how the stock text messaging app works, unless your carrier disabled this (in which case I'd love your carrier but not great for you). Not sure how it would work with AoD (it's so useless to me I just turned it off after a day) but without it, at least on every other Galaxy phone I've used and my current S7 Edge (T-Mobile version), the stock messaging app always wakes up the screen to display the notification (something I'm not keen of, so I always end up switching to a third party app that doesn't do that).

You might want to check your Settings, Notifications, Advanced and select the Messages app. There you should have the ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS switch turned on, and the HIDE ON LOCK SCREEN and HIDE CONTENT ON LOCK SCREEN turned off.

sb65

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, tried all of that, but it is not working. I use Handcent on my S4 and it pops up if the screen is asleep or the phone is locked. May have to swing by a Sprint store to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks for the reply

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, you can try Handcent in the S7 and see if that does help. But at leat in T-Mobile's version (and, again, Mexico and International versions I've tried in the past since the S2), that's the default behavior of the stock Samsung messaging app: it turns the screen on when a message is received, and since Lollipop, the message is displayed in a pop-up like (if set up to allow it) in the lockscreen; previous to that it would show up in the notification bar with a preview.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Download textra it does all that and more. And if she misses the way apple messaging looks then she can totally customize the whole experience. She can even have the little sent message sound like with imessage. Really nice app with lots of options. If she do words it and has any questions I'm here to help. Textra is hands down the best app for messaging on android

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
As Spookdroid said, check the notification settings.
I'm on t mobile too but I don't think it matters; I just tested it and any texts I get do wake my phone and display on the lock screen for a moment because I adjusted the settings to do so.
I also adjusted them to not wake the phone and NOT light-up the screen and display them and that worked also.
I guess, maybe, carrier depending, your setting adjustment results may vary.
Good luck

Coffeeman

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and I use Handcent (a.k.a. Next SMS). If the screen is off and a text comes in, Handcent's popup appears with the texr, and allows one to answer, without unlocking the phone. You have to enable this in Handcent settings.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As Spookdroid said, check the notification settings.
I'm on t mobile too but I don't think it matters; I just tested it and any texts I get do wake my phone and display on the lock screen for a moment because I adjusted the settings to do so.
I also adjusted them to not wake the phone and NOT light-up the screen and display them and that worked also.
I guess, maybe, carrier depending, your setting adjustment results may vary.
Good luck

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it to NOT light up the screen? I think I've tried a few things and it always wakes up the screen (which is why I don't use the stock messaging app).

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The 'Hide on lock screen' toggle should be to the right and lit-up (enabled) to NOT wake & light-up the screen.
Works for me.
I wonder how thick the owners manual would be for smartphones these days if it listed how to use every feature?
THANK GOD FOR ANDROID CENTRAL!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah, got it. But then that would effectively hide the notification from the lockscreen. I just don't want the darn screen to flash every time I get a text, but do like having the notification preview there. Oh well, guess I'll just keep using a 3rd party app.

sb65

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
No idea. We have all of the notification settings set so that it should wake up the screen and show the text preview if the screen is locked or asleep, but it is not working. For the other poster who asked, it is Sprint. Will see if textra and/or handcent will allow it.

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
For anyone that has some free time, check out the Samsung+ app. I found it in the Samsung folder in my app drawer.
It looks like there is a lot of information, including step by step, about the messages notifications.
Just hit the plus sign and search for what you need.
Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcweir