texting setup

rouxster

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
is there something i need to do on my captivate to allow texting? my phone won't send or receive text, but i can yahoo msg.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There shouldn't be. Can you make calls? I would do a *228 option 1 and reset the device. If those don't work then give VZW a call.

laney12186

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Try calling them and asking if the phone was fully activated or not. You shouldn't have to actually set up your text messaging aside from changing the settings like notifications and such

rouxster

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
i did call att. the guy who setup my phone deleted my text plan & unlimited data plan when he updated my phone. att said that i should be able to get my plans back.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I'm not sure why you still couldn't send/receive mms. Even if you didn't have a plan I would think you could still text and be charged a /text rate version your plan rate. Let us know if it clears up soon. Are you rooted? If the problems persists I'd suggest a factory reset; be sure to back-up all data before doing it.

rouxster

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
i thought the same thing, srk. texting started working as soon as the att tech turned it back on. i'm not rooted yet. i'm still trying to make sure i know what i'm doing. baby steps haha.