Textra vs Google messenger?

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Using Google messenger, on my HTC One A9. Sprint is the only one where they are using the full RCS system. T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon have it too but they limited how much they use.
I'm also very pleased with sprint and thier RCS rollout with Google. Messenger sent from an app that was probably the most bug ridden and troublesome to one that just works and works WELL! I text my wife and I see immediate the sent/delivered /read along with her "typing" I use to use a separate application for im with the family for those perks alone and then sms for everyone else. Now there's no need. Google messenger along with sprint RCS is all I need. People are going to love it when they get it, point blank period. RCS will be the death of many if not most all im apps. At least in the US anyway.

manusbaldspot

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I've switched to Textra. I was using Google Messenger for quite a while but noticed that the compression of pics I send in the V20 is a bit much.

Who over received more than one pic at a time from me gets horrible quality transfers. In my end they look fine. On the receiving end they are extremely pixelated.

Textra allows me to change the carrier send limit on pics. So the person receiving is getting near original photos.

huntm856

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I used to used Textra, but switched over the Messenger for awhile and installed a few of its sticker packs. Since then Textra has force-crashed whenever I access its emoji screen. So I guess I'm stuck on Messenger now LOL.

anon(7937399)

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I've used both, and I like Textra much better. It's faster and looks way better (dark screen: text colored blue for the other person and black for me). Better looking stock icon.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
First time I tried Textra it failed. It's not bad. I also like Verizon message app. You don't have to be with Verizon to use it. I'm on AT&T and used it until I went back to the stock app.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I just use stock now. I was using Handcent for a while. The customization on Handcent is the best IMO. I tried Textra and didn't really like it. I personally found the color themes boring. I like having actual pictures for my messaging wallpapers. With Handcent, you can set different wallpapers on the conversation level and theme different skins however you want. The only thing I don't like about using third party messaging apps is that if you have a picture you want to send, you can't just select the common contact when you hit the share button. You have to choose the third party app and then choose the contact within the app. It's just one extra little annoyance. Handcent is by far my favorite and I was using it for a while on my S7 Edge but when I got the V20, I went back to stock.

rebirth24

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
Both garbage for their own respective reasons IMO. Unless Im not doing it right..

Textra = No Car/Bluetooth control (Can't mark as read or delete)
Textra/Messenger = No Androidwear Delete (How hard is it to come up with this?
GMessenger = Slow compared to Textra and I even feel a little slow compared to stock

Deleting on both of these is a pain in the butt...wish someone would come up with something clean/fast with easier ways to control your messages remotely or via the initial notification...

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately Sprint is the only carrier in the US using RCS right now, or at least to my knowledge, and I'm on T-Mobile. As soon as RCS is available on my carrier I'll probably swap over unless Textra or stock gets support. Though it may not matter much because 99% of the people I text have Apple crapPhones.

It is not Textra or Android Messenger, but the LG Messaging app on T-Mobile has Advanced Messaging:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v20/772212-blue-checkmarks-lg-messaging-app.html#post5693220

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Textra = No Car/Bluetooth control (Can't mark as read or delete)

Press & hold message, it will be
Marked read (it is no longer highlighted)

Press & hold one or several messages in the msg list. It becomes selected. Press the bin icon. The message will be deleted

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I started using Google Messenger again because my group texts come in all separate on the LG app and I couldn't figure out why.. so I just axed it.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I started using Google Messenger again because my group texts come in all separate on the LG app and I couldn't figure out why.. so I just axed it.
Maybe I should try it again. My textra has been having issues with sending pictures recently, or at least I think it is. I've set the size limit to what my carriers is but still just says "sent" but doesn't say "delivered."

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Did you try this setting, I know it says the opposite of your issues, but seems like it would be related

Attachments

• 11610.jpg
    11610.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 66

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk