Thanks Google, I'm going back to my carrier

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought that purchasing outright through the Google Store would allow me to distance myself from AT&T. While it has in the past year, making the jump from a P3 to P4 results in the loss of close to $400.

Purchased the Pixel 3 64gb last year at $799 + tax for $840.
I can either trade in for $225 or sell for $300 on Swappa.
AT&T offers the Pixel 4 64gb for $839 + tax for $880.
If I pay monthly $38, I can jump from the Pixel 4 to another device in 1 year. That turns out to be $420 for the year, with no worry of depreciation.

If you're looking to jump from Pixel 3 to 4 to 5 each year. I'd say go with your carrier and let them figure out what to do with the depreciation.

I'd much rather have trade-in credit for around $375 over a 3 month promo of Google One or a free mini.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I thought that purchasing outright through the Google Store would allow me to distance myself from AT&T. While it has in the past year, making the jump from a P3 to P4 results in the loss of close to $400.

If I pay monthly $38, I can jump from the Pixel 4 to another device in 1 year. That turns out to be $420 for the year, with no worry of depreciation.

If you're looking to jump from Pixel 3 to 4 to 5 each year. I'd say go with your carrier and let them figure out what to do with the depreciation.

I'd much rather have trade-in credit for around $375 over a 3 month promo of Google One or a free mini.
Does AT&T offer the 4 through the store?

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
The Pixels have been available on all Canadian carriers since the OG Pixel.

Unfortunately though, the "deals" Canadian carriers offer are absolute garbage.

I just checked with my carrier to see what I could get the Pixel 4 for. Well I'd have to sign up for a 2 year plan that's $50 more per month than what I'm currently paying AND I'd still have to put down $220 up front. So after 2 years I would have paid $1440 CAD for Pixel 4 (extra $50/month plus the $220 down).

Or I could just buy it unlocked from Google Canada for $1129. This is why I never get phones through carriers up here. I don't understand why so many Canadians still do.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Wonder what At&t will be able to add bloat wise, hoping it is similar to Verizon and only a couple of apps and not much else. Never know with At&t though.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Yep, basically you end up paying for half the total price and upgrading every year. Not a bad deal. I did the exact same thing with my Note. But I got the unlocked from Best buy. Got the note 8, then a year after, $500 trade in at Best buy for Note 9, and then last month, $600 trade in for Note 10. Samsung has kick as trade in value, google SUCKS at that. So can't do the same at BestBuy with pixel phones.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

I only upgrade through my carrier, its a zero interest payment on a device you are just going to get rid of anyway. Why not pay for half the cost and trade it in every year.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't recall seeing that -- got a link to the gov doing that?

I had a conversation with my friend about this a month ago when the pixel 3a launched on all carriers. I cant find that dam article anywhere. Not sure if it was getting rid of carrier exclusives or it was that phones sold in the united states have to work on all the carriers. Which I think is what it was. Even the one plus 7t has carrier compatibility for all 4 major carriers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a conversation with my friend about this a month ago when the pixel 3a launched on all carriers. I cant find that dam article anywhere. Not sure if it was getting rid of carrier exclusives or it was that phones sold in the united states have to work on all the carriers. Which I think is what it was. Even the one plus 7t has carrier compatibility for all 4 major carriers.

I think it is the having to work on all carriers -- which all have been doing for some time now (mostly). I don't think it has to do with selling the phone only in specific stores (or carriers).

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't bought a phone from a carrier in a long time and, with Pixels, AT&T didn't even have it until now.

If you go this route and need the phone unlocked to use a SIM in another country, is it like it always was and you have to pay off the phone first?

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
the thing I think is most jacked up is that I ordered my phone through the Google store on launch day and won't get it till November. Upgraded my wife's phone the next day on ATT...she will have her phone tomorrow. 😟😕🙁☹️

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
the thing I think is most jacked up is that I ordered my phone through the Google store on launch day and won't get it till November. Upgraded my wife's phone the next day on ATT...she will have her phone tomorrow. ??????????????????☹️

Just means the Google store got on back-order and AT&T didn't ?

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I ain't really mad at em. If I had ordered as soon as it went live I'd have it this week, but I waited....so it really is on me. I am willing to wait for the Panda hotness.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's a thing. The current powers that be are giving carriers more power, not less, plus there's 5G phones that don't work on all carriers. Exclusivity agreement probably just ran out.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance