News The 3-2-1 backup rule is broken — here's how I safeguard my data

Zilexa0

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
It's funny to see how you tried to write a serious article about backup methods, then reveal you and your wife currently store and backup (as if it's precious data) 100TB of photos and videos.
You sir, don't need new backup methods, more storage devices. You also don't need spend time on these articles. You and your wife need to start cleaning up your data. You are not convincing anyone that you have 100TB of precious data. You also cannot convince anyone you are ever going to do something with 95TB of your 100, except snapshotting and copying it around until you die.
It's a total waste of resources, material, time and money all because you simply don't cleanup before sending data into your backup system.

Can your next article be about the best culling methods available to cull through 100 terabytes of photos and videos within a lifetime while still having sort of a life?

Reactions: cribble2k

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I think it's basically now cheaper to just buy more storage once and a while, than periodically going through all of one's data (pictures) and the effort to downsize, delete, cleanse, etc. Kind of sad, since we will probably get to the point of just throwing out hard drives full of pics and such when people die, because family or kin might also not want to spend the time/effort to go through it. I guess automated tagging and photo recognization software will eventually also come further along, to help out.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One of the defining features of the 3-2-1 method is off site storage in case of catastrophic failure or destruction at home. If you're going to call that broken in favor of only excessive on site storage in your forum click bait post, I'm not even going to bother reading the actual article.

Jbweld4

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
You did it wrong.

You should have gotten high quality external multi Bay drive enclosures

Then plugged them into Mac Mini(s) for cloud backups.

Backblaze gives unlimited backups for about $90/year on macOS and Windows hosts for all physically attached storage, and it's encrypted by default and not visible to anyone but you.

Then you can just share the data over your network with SMB and SSH

If you want to be able to see you pics and vids from mobile then just store lower res versions in your Google photos account and keep the full size versions at home

Last edited:

Jbweld4

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Btw I have ad blockers on my phone and network so Android Central certainly did not make any money off me for clicking on this clickbait headline

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Was this article sponsored by Synology?

Who still uses "Plex?" Poor people who look for illegal downloads of things? Seriously, too many streaming services right now.