The CHEAP Plastic on the Galaxy S3

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Unless there's something special about this battery cover, aluminum plating is not a good idea if you intend to use NFC at all. There's a reason the Evo 4G LTE has a plastic cover over the area with the NFC chip. The metal will also have a negative impact on all radio transmissions - cell, wifi, GPS, etc, which is why Asus stopped making the back of their tablets 100% out of metal. I'm willing to bet either the aluminum plating is so thin that it'll chip off quickly from normal use anyway, or you'll have a terrible experience using your phone for anything network-related.

Exactly so why are people complaining about the use of plastic? I have a TF300 and while it's plastic it's still sturdy. I like metal, but that gets hotter, and scratches much easier. There is also the problem with radio signals of the phone. The iPhone 5 does a decent job at this problem with the two toned design, but then I don't wan't every phone to look that way. I like my plastic back.

Like another user said, build quality is the quality of the materials used and how they were put together. People tend to use build quality with the texture/feeling they get from the product, making all DSLR camera's horrible quality in their definition I guess.

comshock25

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
If you hate the plastic feeling, try buying an aluminum plated battery cover. I am thinking about it but have not bought one as I intend on getting Seidio Obex

Does using an aluminum cover affect NFC functionality? You are covering the back with some sort of metal here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

After seeing this, I'm so glad Samsung used flexible and coated polycarbonate, especially with a backplate that is cheap and replaceable. Look how easily that scratched. I can just see it now, accidentally putting your phone in your pocket with keys and bam, the entire phone has scuffs and exposed metal.

Is the video showing for you guys? It worked perfectly before, now it's just blank there. It was the ifixit scratch test video?

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
back of mine is all scratched and i dont care but it just proves how good the glass is coz its flawless :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

ramnitb

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Something I find incredibly irritating is when Iphone users mock the plastic casing of android phones in an attempt to make their device seem superior. Many people overlook that one of the main reasons that Samsung devices have a plastic back casing is to allow for a removable battery and for extra storage. Can't do that with glass! The iPhone may be encompassed by a glass casing but it is only at the cost of it's internal hardware being non-removable.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
First thing I thought of was that iphone5 vs. GS3 drop test. The plastic is more resistant but the GS3's glass goes to the edge, so it doesn't offer as much protection as older phones did w/ bigger bezels. I have a padded case on mine :)

And ditto the battery replacement...that's a huge reason why the back is plastic unless they want to put screws in...

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
back of mine is all scratched and i dont care but it just proves how good the glass is coz its flawless :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Even when it gets scratched to hell just spend the $5 and you have a brand new back piece. Can't do that with that iphone...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Even when it gets scratched to hell just spend the $5 and you have a brand new back piece. Can't do that with that iphone...

true but the back really doesnt bother me lol i dont have to look at it. stuck a decalgirl skin on it though just because it came with the front one uploadfromtaptalk1348773675430.jpg

anyone know what the camera lens cover is made of btw? wouldnt fancy getn a deep scratch on that!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been saying this for years. Polycarbonates, high quality plastics, and gorilla glass found on your typical Android phone is actually more damage resistant than the glass/aluminum on the iPhone. Flexible plastics and polycarbs are much better at absorbing/distributing impact energy away from the fragile screen and preventing screen shatters when you drop your phone. Thusly, "cheap plastic" phones are actually superior. It's the perfect example of how uninformed consumers and biased reviewers don't know what is or isn't good.

The iphone has had gorilla glass since it was introduced. It was the first mobile device to have it.

Stean Kruger

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Please tell me you guys are joking! Are crazy? Plastic is cheap rubbish and it feels cheap. We life in modern world now, where glass are timeless elegant and stylish. Maybe the prob is that you guys want a iPhone 5 but can't afford it???

Hhahahahaha i mean really. Plastic? Over Alumium and glass? It is hillarious actually. Fact is, any phone will be damage if dropped, even the plastic samsung. If you own a iPhone 5 you can afford insurance and have it replaced in no time. So I really don't get where you are going with this...

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Please tell me you guys are joking! Are crazy? Plastic is cheap rubbish and it feels cheap. We life in modern world now, where glass are timeless elegant and stylish. Maybe the prob is that you guys want a iPhone 5 but can't afford it???

Hhahahahaha i mean really. Plastic? Over Alumium and glass? It is hillarious actually. Fact is, any phone will be damage if dropped, even the plastic samsung. If you own a iPhone 5 you can afford insurance and have it replaced in no time. So I really don't get where you are going with this...

The plastic on the s3 is fine. Dropped it plenty of times with no damage. Aluminum will damage allot easier then the plastic on the s3.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's the BMW phenomenon. People pay a 50% premium for a car that's less reliable than a Honda so they can park it in the driveway and let all the neighbors know they have money and class.

But give the iPhone and HTC crowds a break. They know the S3 is functionally superior, so they need something to hang their egos on to. :)

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

I think this is the dumbest thing that i heard all morning.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Plastic, lets the RF in and out.
Metal, shields the RF.

What idiot would wrap an RF device in metal and expect it to work well.
Google antennagate.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

What kind of idiotic assumption is that? The iPhone 5s insurance price and deductible is the same price as other flagship devices. If I drop my dna and kill it, ill be without a phone for weeks/ months until the extra leeway in our budget is enough to purchase the replacement. That's how it is with normal people. Just because they sprung the 299 on contract fir an iPhone doesnt mean they have anymore money at their disposal than someone who chose to spring the 299 for a note 2. Glass is timeless? It is one of the easiest shattered substances in this world. Google "how do I replace the" and the first searches that pop up pertain to replacing broken glass on iProducts. I'm going to buy something for its functionability and purpose, not its appearance. As for you, enjoy owning a device that defeats its purpose by constantly having to order replacements, or doesn't serve its purpose because signal is being blocked by a thin aluminum casing that will dint and scratch the first time you put it in your pocket with your keys. Search eBay/craigslist for used iPods/iPhone's before the glass generation. nearly all of them are dinged up and scratched unless they were slapped with a case ans screen protector upon purchase. Now how far does that premium feel in your hand get you. And ftr, I'm not an apple hater at all. Just a hater of stupid assumptions.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Paying for phone company insurance has got to be one of the stupidest financial decisions you can make, unless you're accident prone. Between the deductible and one year's premium, you've just about paid for a new phone. But I guess iPhone buyers have more money to burn that the rest of us. Why else would they buy into Steve Job's overpriced, style-first ethos?