The Cloud or an SD Card

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested to know where most folks store their photos. I'm looking at this question only from the aspect of photography and nothing more. I've been doing some work using both solutions and even combinations of solutions. If you have an opinion I'd like to hear it. Thanks all in advance.

Posted via the Android Central App

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I use the cloud and my phone storage. My phone doesn't have an SD slot.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I use both. Back ups for sure on the cloud but I can't afford (data) to stream from it. Music and photos are on the card.

aidedesk

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
With a 8GB moto G that has no sdcards I just use internal. Not surprising my free space is under 1gb. I get space warnings once in a while. Then I just delete some photos or recorded videos.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I triple backup all my data. One to cloud, and two on external HDDs. No SD cards, they're not as reliable as HDD and much easier to misplace. There's only one use I've ever had for SD and that was to store a ton of videos to pass the time during long flights because internal storage wasn't quite enough.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Cloud... I trust whatever ungodly massive SANs Google uses over some flimsy little plastic bit o' storage any day.

Though, I don't use SD cards in anything other than my Olympus compact.... I've had too many cards crap themselves on me to trust them.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Y'all must have unlimited data to back up all your photos on the cloud while taking pictures.

I have a Fujifilm bridge camera with a 32 GB SD card, I don't think I've ever even considered making backups of my pics to a cloud storage while taking pictures. Usually I just pop my SD card into my computer and transfer the pics onto there.

Then I upload the pics I like onto imgur. I guess that's my cloud storage, haha.

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I store photos in the cloud because of 2 reasons:

1) I'm a Nexus 5 user so space is limited
2) I've got an unlimited UK data plan

If I had a phone with a SD card I;d use it plus the cloud. Prefer to store photos and music locally just in case I'm travelling.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
SD Card.

I am in a country where we get a huge mix of great 4G LTE coverage in some areas to nothing but EDGE within the same area by just one move e.g. at my Father's place, where I get either 4G or EDGE and nothing else, while here at home I get H+ and EDGE, no 4G LTE. So with such sporadic speeds, I simply cannot rely on Cloud.
Yes, I do have WiFi at home, but its capped.

Got a Note 4 with 32GB Internal Memory plus 2 32GB MicroSD cards, I plan on getting a 64GB MicroSDXC soon though. Have a ton of photos, vids, series, music and docs. I back them up to both my work and home laptops. I use cloud for important work stuff like presentations, research etc..., so in case I lose my laptop or if I forget it, at least I can log on Google Drive and get the data.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I use both for different reasons. Cloud offers a nice place to sync data I need to send home but may not be there for a while, backup photo's etc. But I don't stream my video files and music is there but not as often. Key reason is data is not cheap, cloud storage is, but getting it back to your phone when not on Wi-Fi is just not cheap and likely won't get cheaper for years and years to go.

So a microSD is great for local and cache storage, and if you have an S6 you can get 128GB of storage built in which is huge for me.

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
No cloud here. Not having a SD card slot was a deal breaker for many just released phones. I have my own server that I use to store backups/copies on.

Via my HTC One M9...

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The Cloud. Doesn't get lost, stolen or corrupted. Accessible from anywhere with anything that has a browser.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Last edited:

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I back them up to the cloud, but store them on an SD. I'm not always in a place where there's wifi. Irks me to have to pay someone else to store stuff that I can access for free (well, for a nominal one time charge) myself.

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
The Cloud. Doesn't get lost, stolen or corrupted. Accessible from anywhere with anything that has a browser.

Not true. All those nude celebrity photos that came out a while back were on a very popular cloud. .
Company goes down and you loose it all.

Stop telling folks incorrect information.

Via my HTC One M9...

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
That's true, anything might happen and make stuff public. But just because a site is popular doesn't mean it's a smart site. That's clearly not a smart site.

And I'm far more concerned about the odds of loss or leakage of data due to fire, water, theft or loss - physical losses - than I am loss due to my passwords being cracked or other hacking.

I don't care if a company goes under. I'm not gonna lose anything. I keep multiple copies in multiple locations both cloud and local.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edneil1967