The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Congrats, I hope you enjoy it. Glad you are keeping your Note 4 as I have. :)

Thanks. I'm liking this phone so far. I'm hoping the battery life improves a bit more after a few days. The fingerprint sensor seems to be working better than I expected, a lot better then the one on the note 4.

I'll likely get a wireless charger for it also.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I'm liking this phone so far. I'm hoping the battery life improves a bit more after a few days. The fingerprint sensor seems to be working better than I expected, a lot better then the one on the note 4.

I'll likely get a wireless charger for it also.
Cool! I believe Samsung may still has the free wireless charger promo after you register your Note 5 and activate Samsung Pay. But for me personally, the wireless charger, ultrapower saving mode, etc all do not beat the convenience of replaceable battery as explained here. I also got one of the smaller portable external batteries for my Note 5 (see pic), but the cable needed to connect is extremely cumbersome. Have fun with your new Note 5 though, and let us know after 1 month of use.

Attachments

• 1454684297905.jpg
    1454684297905.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 75

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Cool! I believe Samsung may still has the free wireless charger promo after you register your Note 5 and activate Samsung Pay. But for me personally, the wireless charger, ultrapower saving mode, etc all do not beat the convenience of replaceable battery as explained here. I also got one of the smaller portable external batteries for my Note 5 (see pic), but the cable needed to connect is extremely cumbersome. Have fun with your new Note 5 though, and let us know after 1 month of use.

I'm trying to set to Samsung Pay but it's failing to register any of my cards. I just saw the list and none of mine are supported yet.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Apart from wanting the freebie promo (understandable!), is there any sign that it's actually worthwhile to use Samsung pay? That is, I'm not yet sure I've seen any place I use offering to take it. Many of those places offer Apple Pay. And Android pay (which I do sometimes use) But I've not seen a lot of evidence of any market penetration for Samsung pay.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Apple pay and Android pay depend on NFC. Samsung pay works with NFC and Mag Strip terminals. As long as you can set your phone next to the mag strip reader samsung pay will work. So basically any situation were you swipe your card you should be able to use it. To the merchant it is just as if you swiped the card.

The biggest limitation is if your bank will let you register your card to work with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Curious, but, wouldn't it better to merely use Android Pay? Hence if you ever switch to another Android device, you're still covered, and not stuck with Samsung Pay...

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Curious, but, wouldn't it better to merely use Android Pay? Hence if you ever switch to another Android device, you're still covered, and not stuck with Samsung Pay...

You can use both, but Samsung Pay works in more places. I use Android Pay on my 6P when Im using it but always use Samsung Pay when using the Note 5.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the Note 5, for 30 days with the Test Drive.

I got over this whole lack of Removable Battery & Expandable Storage. In all the phones I've (lost count, LOL) owned I think I took advantage of it twice and that's when I went away on vacation and also before they started packing them with 3,000mAh batteries. I have to problems as long as it's a minimum of 32GB and I don't even use Cloud Storage either.

After the Galaxy S5 & Note 4 I hated Samsung because not only they're charging Premium but Battery Life wasn't improved at all. If I'm going to pay this much for my phone I might as well get an iPhone (6S 128GB) and I did then I went back to android. This is why I love my nexus 6P.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the Note 5, for 30 days with the Test Drive.

I got over this whole lack of Removable Battery & Expandable Storage. In all the phones I've (lost count, LOL) owned I think I took advantage of it twice and that's when I went away on vacation and also before they started packing them with 3,000mAh batteries. I have to problems as long as it's a minimum of 32GB and I don't even use Cloud Storage either.

After the Galaxy S5 & Note 4 I hated Samsung because not only they're charging Premium but Battery Life wasn't improved at all. If I'm going to pay this much for my phone I might as well get an iPhone (6S 128GB) and I did then I went back to android. This is why I love my nexus 6P.

How many gbs. with your 6P, and how much did it set you back?:p

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
This truly the first Note I wouldn't buy. I was primed for the Note 5, because to me, the Note 3 and the Note 4 were and still are killer phones, in other words, to me, the BEST.
I am a heavy user, no games, but a lot of music, movies, and always on..
With that said, I am from USA, but right now, I am in Italy. I have 3 spare batteries, a 128 sd card, and they do their job.
Being out on the town for long periods, using the phone, it was quick work when the battery ran down, to just swap in another battery and keep right on rocking. Now, what was I supposed to do if, I had a Note 5, out on the town, on the water, partying here and there for long hours, what would I have to do if I had Note 5 and the battery ran out??
Go find a outlet to charge my phone and set there and watch it when it is charging? Pull out a bulky portable charger and hook it to the Note 5? I mean what? This supposed to be upgraded tech!

Not only that, back at the Hotel, I am not into Italian TV or Movies. I got 75 gbs of my favorite and latest movies on my Note 4, since I have a 128gb, I also have over 40gbs of my favorite movies, and adding more. In fact, getting ready to put a 200gb in my Note 4.

IMO, and only speaking for myself, Samsung missed the boat big time with IMO again, 2 of its hottest items, the Note 4, and Gear S smartwatch. Yes, I shunned the latest Samsung upgrade smartwatch too.

The Samsung Gear S2 upgrade to the Gear S was a bigger dud then the Note 5, to Me..
So, here I am rocking big time in Italy with my Note 4, and Gear S, everything works like a charm.

Those 3 spare batteries for my Note 3 are thin as a dime, and I keep them right with my passport. No weight, no fuss, and that gives me long, long hours of contiunous heavy use of my Note 4, and when i get back to the hotel I charged them up again.

Coming to this Note 6, they better have put back the sd card and removable battery, unless they come with a 3 day battery, I am jumping ship to another maker that has sd card support and removable battery. I think that be Sony and LG, also, I will be going with the same maker's smartwatch too.

Hoping Samsung hears its users and make the Note 6 with removable battery and sd support, or a 128, or 256 models..People need STORAGE. :)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 spare batteries, a 128 sd card, and they do their job.
Being out on the town for long periods, using the phone, it was quick work when the battery ran down, to just swap in another battery and keep right on rocking.

Your configuration is mine, too. For me the SD is more important, but I just had a big business trip out of town. Up early every day. We'd take a quick 30 minute break around 530. By then, the battery was pretty depleted considering I was using it a lot during the day to access emails, etc. There wasn't much time to charge. I just swapped batteries and put the depleted one on the travel charger. And always kept a spare in my pocket. More than once I got down below 10% before I swapped batteries. If there had been no swap available, it would've been ugly. It just makes so much sense. I guess too much. :)

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling they're going to just put a larger sealed battery in the Note 6. Hopefully that won't be the case, but since we won't know for certain for months yet figured I'd pick up some extra insurance for my Note 4 by grabbing two more OEM spare batteries in this steal of a deal from Shop Android (ex. 43% off! :D): Samsung 3220mAh Standard Battery for Galaxy Note 4 - Android Batteries - ShopAndroid

Thanks for the tip on the OEM battery. My OEM battery is showing signs of wear. Didn't expect to keep this phone for over a year, but due to the Note 5, I am going 2 years with the my Note 4, and will be going for the Note 6, just as soon as it is available in Oct/Nov 2016.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on the OEM battery. My OEM battery is showing signs of wear. Didn't expect to keep this phone for over a year, but due to the Note 5, I am going 2 years with the my Note 4, and will be going for the Note 6, just as soon as it is available in Oct/Nov 2016.

Well, of course, I want to see what the Note 6 has. According to rumor, SD cards will be back. Then, I can at least think about it. But if not...I'm still happy with the Note 4. I'm having no problems. It does what I want. I'm debating whether upgrading is essential even if the Note 6 has both removable batteries and a sd card slot. I'd probably be certain to get the Note 7 if I don't upgrade this Fall--a 3 year turnaround for me--but I have begun to question whether my normal 2 year turnaround is necessary any more. We'll see what features the "6" advertises. Of course, I didn't even consider the "5," for oft-stated reasons. P.s. I did upgrade my SD card to 200mb. :) Well worth it!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well, of course, I want to see what the Note 6 has. According to rumor, SD cards will be back. Then, I can at least think about it. But if not...I'm still happy with the Note 4. I'm having no problems. It does what I want. I'm debating whether upgrading is essential even if the Note 6 has both removable batteries and a sd card slot. I'd probably be certain to get the Note 7 if I don't upgrade this Fall--a 3 year turnaround for me--but I have begun to question whether my normal 2 year turnaround is necessary any more. We'll see what features the "6" advertises. Of course, I didn't even consider the "5," for oft-stated reasons. P.s. I did upgrade my SD card to 200mb. :) Well worth it!

We are in the same club...:)

However, at my age, can't play the waiting game, I am grabbing the next Note 6, quick, fast and in a hurry. I would have had a Note 5, but for widely mentioned reasons, I didn't get a Note 5. BTW, I guess to stay in this club, I need to upgrade my 128 in my Note 4 like you...:D. That will be a good move, so now I can move 128gb over to my Fiio X5ii DAP. The 128 in my Note 4 is has 8gbs free, and I have some more FLAC and HD movies to add to my Note 4.And I hear peeps saying they have no need for additional storage..I say speak for yourself...:D

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
W, I guess to stay in this club, I need to upgrade my 128 in my Note 4 like you...:

That's exactly right. :) When the LG whatever came out with a special promotion of 200gb cards tossed in for free, there was a rush on eBay selling them at pretty nice prices. I imagine that's worked itself out by now. Lotsa people don't need/don't want that much. More for us. :cool:

I'm pretty close to where I need to be. I've filled the 200gb mostly up. I have about 5gb free. Had tech advanced as it typically does, i.e., doubling the 128 to 256, that might've come pretty close to satisfying me and giving me some headroom.

Not that I wouldn't take more than 256gb if offered. ;) It is a truism that, when space is easy to find, app vendors, etc., find things to use it for. For example, Comcast's X1 (wonderful!) program now allows you to download a lot of the DVR recordings to your device for offline viewing without an internet connection/no streaming needed. An hour TV show is about 1gb. I travel a lot. I could DL a couple of weeks worth of stuff for a long trip and the dead time, airplane time that goes with it. I wouldn't have to worry about streaming, which is often perilous in many hotels and not available on trains and planes. I'd be set--but there's a limit to how much space I have for that type of downloading. So, sure, offer me more space, I'll always take it.