The first thing I'll do with my 6P when I get it is...

Nexuslover27

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
The first thing any Nexus owner should do is enable adb debugging and connect the device to a SDK installed computer and open the command line and:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
Since that will erase the entire device, it's best to do it sooner, rather than later, if you ever plan on rooting a Nexus device. Don't want to root? No worries, you don't have to but just in case you ever do it's ready to go.

Of course this is not for everyone, so be sure to read up and understand exactly what you are doing if you decide to do this. And I'm just kidding about every Nexus owner having to do this...but seriously, consider it :).

This is what I always do first. I'm a little concerned about Android Pay though - I know for sure it doesn't work with root, but what about an unlocked bootloader? I feel like there shouldn't be an issue, but there seems to be some confusion here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/3khcez/android_pay_does_not_currently_work_with_an/

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is what I always do first. I'm a little concerned about Android Pay though - I know for sure it doesn't work with root, but what about an unlocked bootloader? I feel like there shouldn't be an issue, but there seems to be some confusion here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/3khcez/android_pay_does_not_currently_work_with_an/

Reading through it appears that if you are Bootloader Unlocked, on the stock ROM, then Android Pay will work. If you are Bootloader Unlocked and having a modified system (i.e. kernel, root, mods, etc.) then Android Pay will not work.

I don't have a Nexus at the moment, so I can't test. If anyone does and can confirm that would be greatly appreciated.

Nexuslover27

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Reading through it appears that if you are Bootloader Unlocked, on the stock ROM, then Android Pay will work. If you are Bootloader Unlocked and having a modified system (i.e. kernel, root, mods, etc.) then Android Pay will not work.

I don't have a Nexus at the moment, so I can't test. If anyone does and can confirm that would be greatly appreciated.

Hold on, I just realized I've been using Android Pay on my bootloader-unlocked Nexus 5 (still on Lollipop) so far! Lol.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I use android pay on Nexus 6 with bootloader unlocked.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

I agree, but IIRC that kills off Android Pay.

edit: meant rooted, looks like unlocked will work fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OllieFallon10