The Gear S3 Frontier has only one Model (LTE)

mcain4041

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I ordered my Gear S3 Frontier on Sunday morning from the Samsung website, I am in the US. After reading and researching I was concerned about not ordering the correct version/LTE model. As a Verizon user I want to use this watch on my Verizon plan. I called Samsung tech support and they assured me all Frontier models of this watch are LTE ready. All I would need to do is activate with Verizon once I receive the watch. I have read mixed reviews and comments on this issue so I wanted to share my experience.

jakestgermain

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe this is correct information. If you look on Samsungs website they have two different Frontier models and on clearly states bluetooth and WIFI where the other says Bluetooth/LTE and WIFI

mcain4041

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
That is why I called Samsung Tech support. Because I was getting contradicting reports. If you click on the non at&t model for $350 it states LTE ready. Just scroll down.

Gear S3 frontier Wearables - SM-R760NDAAXAR | Samsung US

"The Gear S3 is 4G LTE connected1 so you can receive texts, emails, and alerts without reaching for your phone. With a built-in speaker and microphone, you can also make and answer calls hands-free. "

LivDoug

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Just looked at the product page. It does seem like this could be right. Even if you look at the footnotes at the bottom of the page, it doesn't say anything about lte only being on certain models.

jakestgermain

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
That is why I called Samsung Tech support. Because I was getting contradicting reports. If you click on the non at&t model for $350 it states LTE ready. Just scroll down.

Gear S3 frontier Wearables - SM-R760NDAAXAR | Samsung US

"The Gear S3 is 4G LTE connected1 so you can receive texts, emails, and alerts without reaching for your phone. With a built-in speaker and microphone, you can also make and answer calls hands-free. "

Look at the bottom of that page where you can expand the tech specs. It says Bluetooth and wifi.

jakestgermain

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Also it wouldn't make ANY since to charge $50 more for an AT&T preorder on Samsung's website if you could just spend 350 for the other frontier model and get the same LTE

Sword fish

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
The version AT&T and Verizon is selling is the R765 so I am not sure the Samsung Rep knew what they were talking about. Since this watch uses an e-sim, it will be software based so this software is probably not on the R760.

srz1977

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Someone on Reddit called Samsung CS and they said it was indeed two different models.

The more expensive one is LTE equipped.

mcain4041

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Just called tech support again. NOW they are saying there are!! two different models and that I should wait for the release of the Verizon version which should be in a few days. Ugh order canceled problem solved. Thanks guys.

LivDoug

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Im assuming there could be plenty of upset customers after these all start shipping. Ive seen several posts of people buying these non lte frontiers and they are figuring they have lte because its a frontier model. Samsung really needs to try and make sure the product information on their site is made much more clear, and best buy/amazon should have their pages say bluetooth only. Im still patiently waiting for verizon to get the s3 up for sale.

Sword fish

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
If you ordered the gear Frontier from AT&T, you should get the LTE model SM-R765. If you order it from anywhere else, it will not have the LTE option SM-R760.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
The AT&T model will have LTE connectivity. You have to add a line (or put it on a line) to order it -- at least I did.

I went to an AT&T store earlier and they assured me that there isn't two versions of the Frontier. They said there's a Frontier and a Classic version. I already have a line. They told me that I pre-ordered the correct one and that I should be fine. No worries. I just keep seeing online that everyone is confused and thinks there's two versions of the Frontier.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I went to an AT&T store earlier and they assured me that there isn't two versions of the Frontier. They said there's a Frontier and a Classic version. I already have a line. They told me that I pre-ordered the correct one and that I should be fine. No worries. I just keep seeing online that everyone is confused and thinks there's two versions of the Frontier.
That's because there are two versions. The one you can buy at Best Buy will not have LTE. The cellular versions are being sold through carriers so if you bought it from your carrier, you can't get the wrong version.

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I ordered my Gear S3 Frontier on Sunday morning from the Samsung website, I am in the US. After reading and researching I was concerned about not ordering the correct version/LTE model. As a Verizon user I want to use this watch on my Verizon plan. I called Samsung tech support and they assured me all Frontier models of this watch are LTE ready. All I would need to do is activate with Verizon once I receive the watch. I have read mixed reviews and comments on this issue so I wanted to share my experience.

I think these are carrier specific. If you want Verizon i recommend you get it from them.