The iPad just officially got Amazon Instant Video

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Curious, what are you paying Amazon $75/year for?

Mostly the shipping benefits - I have a small business doing, among other things, computer repair. I source a fair number of parts from Amazon, and customers appreciate fast repairs, which means I appreciate fast & cheap shipping.

You say most of your music. Does that means some still comes from Amazon MP3?

I'd say about 90% Google, 9% Amazon, 1% iTunes. Sometimes what I need isn't on Google, or I have credits or there's a better price on Amazon. Every once in a while I can't find what I need anywhere but iTunes.

You say a lot of electronics through Newegg. Does that mean you comparison shop and Newegg usually has the better deal?

I probably place 3-5 orders a week through Newegg and Amazon, each. Prices are usually comparable between them, but it's a thousand times easier to find what I need on Newegg, and I have the Shoprunner free 2-day shipping through Newegg as well. So unless I need the $3.99 1-day from Amazon, shipping is a wash between the two.

Saying "locked" probably isn't the best description for Amazon. I can turn an iPad into a Kindle Fire if I was that deep into Amazon but didn't want a Kindle Fire. The main missing piece is Amazon Instant Video for Android if I wanted to turn an Android device into a Kindle Fire. Amazon's approach to it's ecosystem has always been to make their content available in as many places as possible, even video game consoles.

And most, if not all Android devices can play Amazon Instant Video, we just don't have the dedicated app. We may eventually. But I can see why Android would be their lowest priority, between it already technically being functional on Android (granted it requires a Flash workaround on the N7), and Android being the highest competition for their own Kindle. The question is whether it's a matter of priorities, or if it's a matter of them actually holding out due to some kind of strategy. I honestly don't know, but I can make guesses based on the more obvious motives of the market they're working in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones