The official "Where the hell is Gingerbread?" thread

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Utterly and completely absurd the way Google has handled this.

N1 was my first and probably my last Android device if this sort of amateur hour treatment is what I have to look forward to.
Maybe It's still in beta testing for other phones.. and won't be available to us as yet. Just my thought.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the SMS bug that has been discussed recently is going to delay Gingerbread even more? Hopefully Google will address the SMS issue with a later, post Gingerbread patch. But I wonder.......

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

N1 was my first and probably my last Android device if this sort of amateur hour treatment is what I have to look forward to.

crying-baby-party-56800676.jpg

Seriously, get over yourself. We're talking about a delay of a few weeks.

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, get over yourself. We're talking about a delay of a few weeks.

Oh good, an eight year old meme. Much worse than posting nothing.

Anyway, with every day that passes without a solid word about Gingerbread, Google is damaging its reputation a little more with some of its most core audience-- Nexus One users. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh good, an eight year old meme. Much worse than posting nothing.

Anyway, with every day that passes without a solid word about Gingerbread, Google is damaging its reputation a little more with some of its most core audience-- Nexus One users. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

It's reputation is damaged only among those who aren't getting laid.

I have a N1 and it doesn't make a nickel's worth of difference to me whether 2.3 arrives tomorrow, next week or next month. Maybe that is because I interact with the world around me, instead of focusing on the small screen in my hand? My phone is an asset to my life, but not the center of my universe, so I can't spend a lot of time worrying about when Google is going to push Gingerbread to me. It will happen when it happens, and I have plenty to do in the meantime.

You'd benefit greatly by getting a life; that, or a high colonic and a ten mile hike.

And this isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
It's reputation is damaged only among those who aren't getting laid.

I have a N1 and it doesn't make a nickel's worth of difference to me whether 2.3 arrives tomorrow, next week or next month. Maybe that is because I interact with the world around me, instead of focusing on the small screen in my hand? My phone is an asset to my life, but not the center of my universe, so I can't spend a lot of time worrying about when Google is going to push Gingerbread to me. It will happen when it happens, and I have plenty to do in the meantime.

You'd benefit greatly by getting a life; that, or a high colonic and a ten mile hike.

And this isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

Its not that we don't "interact with the world", we just want the update that was promised to us and now that its late we're upset, which is reasonable. When someone says their going to do something for you by a certain time, you have the right to speak out if it doesn't happen.

And this isn't an opinion, its a fact.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't get why people have this entitlement that Google owes them anything.

Does Microsoft owe you Windows 7 because you bought a Vista laptop? no.

Honestly.. relax.. it'll come. Whining about it on forums isn't doing anything but getting you angry and making your blood pressure rise.

Reactions: GeoKaplan

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't get why people have this entitlement that Google owes them anything.

Does Microsoft owe you Windows 7 because you bought a Vista laptop? no.

Honestly.. relax.. it'll come. Whining about it on forums isn't doing anything but getting you angry and making your blood pressure rise.

Actually if you bought a computer with MS Vista after June 26, 2009, you were entitled to Windows 7.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
They didn't have to give you that "entitlement".. they did it to not have their name scraped through the mud again.

bottom line is, none of these companies owe anyone anything. IF you dont like their product, it's simple.. Don't buy it.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Its not that we don't "interact with the world", we just want the update that was promised to us and now that its late we're upset, which is reasonable.

No, it's self-indulgently stupid, but thanks for playing.

Read all the materials that came with your N1: There is no contractual guarantee of any OS beyond the one which came with the phone itself. If you get updated to Gingerbread (or to Ice Cream Sandwich, or to...), it will be because Google decides it suits its purposes to have more users in the world sporting that newest OS.

Google makes updates available, but the user is at the mercy of its schedule and scheme. It owes you absolutely nothing, and junior high hissy-fits like:

Originally Posted by kevykev

don't make the slightest difference in Google's release plans. In the case of the impotent mook above, Google won't miss him, since he'll undoubtedly sell his phone to someone else, and that someone will be the next person Google interacts with regarding future OS updates--the change will be invisible to the company, with no net lost of N1s out in the field.

It will happen when it happens, and whining about it like a kid in the backseat of the family stationwagon won't make it happen one moment sooner. Lose the sense of entitlement. Go take a pretty girl to dinner instead. Or a pretty guy. I don't judge.

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
No, it's self-indulgently stupid, but thanks for playing.

Read all the materials that came with your N1: There is no contractual guarantee of any OS beyond the one which came with the phone itself. If you get updated to Gingerbread (or to Ice Cream Sandwich, or to...), it will be because Google decides it suits its purposes to have more users in the world sporting that newest OS.

Google makes updates available, but the user is at the mercy of its schedule and scheme. It owes you absolutely nothing, and junior high hissy-fits like:

don't make the slightest difference in Google's release plans. In the case of the impotent mook above, Google won't miss him, since he'll undoubtedly sell his phone to someone else, and that someone will be the next person Google interacts with regarding future OS updates--the change will be invisible to the company, with no net lost of N1s out in the field.

It will happen when it happens, and whining about it like a kid in the backseat of the family stationwagon won't make it happen one moment sooner. Lose the sense of entitlement. Go take a pretty girl to dinner instead. Or a pretty guy. I don't judge.

What a ridiculous clown you are.

"Entitlement"? Give me a ****ing break. Google has dropped the ball on its communications (ironic for what is essentially a communications company, no?) around Gingerbread for N1. Some users are annoyed and it's important to make some noise about it. People at Google need to understand user dissatisfaction. Besides, without consumer ire, crappy corporate patterns that give users the shaft never change.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Kevykev.. I'm curious.. Did Google send you an email stating they would offer Gingerbread within a certain amount of time after the Nexus S? Did they send you an email stating it would be upgraded to the newest OS at all?

Has Google communicated to you that you are very important to them? Have they emailed/communicated to you that you matter? No on all fronts.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but they owe you nothing.. the entitlement generation of people growing up..kids think they are owed the world.. just like your fathers, grandfathers, grandfathers fathers..after you die, you will still be owed nothing.

Reactions: GeoKaplan

decyphersmc

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
From @Googlenexus
'The Gingerbread OTA for Nexus One will happen in the coming weeks. Just hang tight!'
Dec 20 2010
Twitter

Which is now 4 mondays ago, and in 8 days will be a month from now. So hopefully soon, to keep with the 'weeks' rather than months. Though I suppose technically unless it takes 2 months from Dec 20, it'd still fall under 'weeks'.

Not complaining, my phone is running just fine, but it would be nice to have the update especially since the above tweet did put a rough marker down for the OTA.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
What a ridiculous clown you are.

"Entitlement"? Give me a ****ing break. Google has dropped the ball on its communications (ironic for what is essentially a communications company, no?) around Gingerbread for N1. Some users are annoyed and it's important to make some noise about it. People at Google need to understand user dissatisfaction. Besides, without consumer ire, crappy corporate patterns that give users the shaft never change.

So now you're "getting the shaft" because you haven't yet received an update which didn't exist when you bought your phone, which hasn't cost you a penny and which will never cost you a penny?

Oh, poor, poor you. Jeepers, my heart does bleed for you.

How is it possible you lack any sense of proportion? Maybe a decision was made to squash a few more bugs before release. Maybe the golden master fell behind the fridge at Google HQ and nobody can find a broom handle to get it back. Who the f*** cares and what the f*** is it to you? What a sad, little existence you must lead if whether or not you get a free update promptly is front-page news in your life, the cause of your earlier verbal tantrum.

Please feel free to cite the contractual obligation Google has to provide a single OS update to you. The only promise ever made to owners was that the Eclair which shipped with the original N1 would be updated to Froyo when it was released. That's it. There is no promise that the OS would be updated for free in perpetuity, nor that the phone will be compatible with every future iteration of the OS. Just one single upgrade was promised to purchasers, and that promise was fulfilled in June, about 45 days before the company stopped selling the phone.

Now that the Twitter account has said less than ten days ago that Gingerbread would be pushed out "in the coming weeks", you're thinking that "the coming weeks" is some sort of code for "yesterday". Instead of being a whiny little b****, why not find something to do while "the coming weeks" pass? Reacquainting yourself with the English language would be a great place to start.

If Google sent you a twenty dollar bill, you'd whine that it wasn't a ten and two fives...

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Eric Schmidt first uttered the Few Weeks phrase on Nov 15 at web 2.0 summit.
Eric Schmidt shows off a Nexus S at the Web 2.0 summit, says Gingerbread coming in 'next few weeks' -- Engadget

So in three days, it will officially be "Months".

? The story you quote was dated 11/15.
? The SDK was released 12/6.
? The Nexus S was released ten days later.

By any reasonable use of the language, the 30 day period between Schmidt's appearance and the debut of the Nexus S can be termed "the next few weeks".

What part is still confusing to you?

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
From @Googlenexus
'The Gingerbread OTA for Nexus One will happen in the coming weeks. Just hang tight!'
Dec 20 2010
Twitter

Which is now 4 mondays ago, and in 8 days will be a month from now. So hopefully soon, to keep with the 'weeks' rather than months. Though I suppose technically unless it takes 2 months from Dec 20, it'd still fall under 'weeks'.

You might want to recheck the date of that Tweet.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So now you're "getting the shaft" because you haven't yet received an update which didn't exist when you bought your phone,

Rest of overly abusive rant deleted. Bit harsh don't you think?

The Update didn't even exist when you bought your phone argument sounds like you came straight from the iPhone Forums over at Apple.com.

That argument may fly there, but it has no place in the Android world.

Android phones are bought precisely because they are expected to be upgraded. Its called the Open Handset Alliance for a reason.

The Nexus One was the device Gingerbread was developed on. How can it not be ready for Gingerbread if that is what was used to develop it?

Now I don't mind waiting a few weeks, and one or two more weeks won't kill anyone. But when its for some pride-of-place bone thrown to Samsung its a little lame.

There are already rumors of a new version of the Nexus S, coming out with 2.4

How can it Possibly be TOO Early for the Nexus One release?

Oh, and why do you have to post like such an Ass. Can't we all just get along?