The Pixel is a nice looking phone but I prefer the Priv

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
But you just said the government uses BB.. I said I work for them and there are tons more iPhones.. So if we use your logic that since they used BB a log before so that means it's secure.. Doesn't that mean they must think iOS is just as secure?

Edit - also so you're saying blackberry is the only one who does security and they help all manufacturers (like Apple) secure it? Nothing Apple or any of them do it's all blackberry? Do you have any evidence to support that claim?
President of United States is using blackberry for work and iPhone for pleasure

I can bet you president elect will use blackberry for work and his iPhone for pleasure

and example of Sony should be good example of how secure other phones are. I mean why would Sony deploy blackberry phones after being hacked ?

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Any computer and smart device can be hacked, whether Blackberry or not, especially if someone has physical access to it. Anyway, I've seen government employees and officials carrying Android, Apple, Windows 10. And Blackberry devices.
blackberry never been hacked this includes foreign governments like Saudis and Pakistan. blackberry is so secure that country like Pakistan prevented any blackberry phones from selling.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
President of United States is using blackberry for work and iPhone for pleasure

I can bet you president elect will use blackberry for work and his iPhone for pleasure

and example of Sony should be good example of how secure other phones are. I mean why would Sony deploy blackberry phones after being hacked ?

That doesn't answer my question. I said iPhones are used in DoD all the time for work -- they must be secure to do so or they wouldn't allow them. You said that is simply due to BB help -- where is the proof on this?

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't answer my question. I said iPhones are used in DoD all the time for work -- they must be secure to do so or they wouldn't allow them. You said that is simply due to BB help -- where is the proof on this?
I am sure they are secure just not as much as blackberry. I mean if iPhone is so secure why would US top officials use blackberry ?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am sure they are secure just not as much as blackberry. I mean if iPhone is so secure why would US top officials use blackberry ?

And where is the evidence that they aren't as secure as BB? As I said they wouldn't use it if it wasn't secure and up to standards that BB and others have done. They won't be like "Oh well I mean it does have some weakness but we will do it to please people" -- that isn't how it works. Trust me. They all have to meet the same criteria or it is a no go when it comes to that stuff.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador
Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
blackberry never been hacked this includes foreign governments like Saudis and Pakistan. blackberry is so secure that country like Pakistan prevented any blackberry phones from selling.
As far as you know, they haven't been hacked, but still, that's not my focus. All computers and smart devices can be hacked, including Blackberry, especially if the person has physical access to it. To think otherwise is naive. I am, and have always been a Blackberry fanboy, but during my 53 years of life, I've been around the world and have seen and learned a few things, one of which is that if there's a will there's a way.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador
Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

I agree that an iPhone is not as secure as a Blackberry device, especially one running a Blackberry OS, but that's not to say that the iPhone isn't a capable and secure device in its own right because it is. Custom security software can do wonders, in my opinion....??????

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm pretty sure the reason they aren't allowed in that country is because they didn't write in a backdoor to allow government surveillance.

This is not the same thing as "never been hacked".

On the flipside, didn't they willingly work with the Canadian law enforcement agencies to provide user data when requested?

Yes, yes they did:

https://news.vice.com/article/exclusive-canada-police-obtained-blackberrys-global-decryption-key-how

Why does hacking matter when the company is willing to hand over the keys to the kingdom? The most secure phone in the world won't matter at all if the company isn't as protective with the user data that they collect.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The "evidence" is the list of buzz words that BlackBerry uses to describe their security on Android. And that entire list is comprised of things that come, out of the box, with the features that they used. There is no evidence that they went above and beyond in any way other than locking down the bootloader and refusing to boot if it is somehow breached. That's it. So for the 99% of people who don't know what a bootloader is and will never unlock it, the effective security rate of a Priv or DTEK50 is exactly the same as a Moto X running the same version of Android.

This means that the newest iPhones are probaby equally or more secure than the Priv, etc. for the same reasons they're presumed to be equally or more secure than Android 5.0 and 6.0 devices that lack hardware backed encryption and other security features that Android comes with by default but are either incorrectly implemented or just not implemented in some Android OEM devices.

This also means that the Pixel and Pixel XL are by default more secure than the Priv, DTEK50, etc. because both of those lack security features that are native to Android 7.0+ on devices that ship with 7.0+ and have correctly implemented the features.

BlackBerry stands above most Android devices because they consistently rock out monthly security updates - but they have a peer that does that and more, who started off more secure and remains more secure - Google themselves.

So based on all of the available information, the pecking order for "most secure devices" is probably going to look as follows:

Unaltered Google device > Unaltered iOS device > Unaltered BlackBerry Android device > Samsung Devices > Whatever, who cares - don't buy these phones.

But that list is general, because the newness of the hardware and software technology matters, and we cannot forget, that regardless of updates, the Priv launched with 2014 software on it and thus has 2014 security with some patches and augments - but the hardware and software foundation both reside in 2014.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The thread started as "hey I like my phone" but seems like the true nature of this thread is showing with OP further posts.

BB phone are just Ok.. their only card is security but a security firm said a year ago that nexus 6p on 6.0 was more secure than priv on 5.0.
sure they take their sweet time to update and thats not helping blackberry. now with Android N the cycle is all over again.

also a note about pixel sales
as per the pixel launcher(exclusive to pixel) count from play store there are about 500k to 1 million active pixel devices but thats excluding phone which hasn't updated the app in playstore.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
BB phone are just Ok.. their only card is security but a security firm said a year ago that nexus 6p on 6.0 was more secure than priv on 5.0.

Right; the only reason anyone thinks they have the best security is because they themselves said they do. Years ago was it true? Maybe, hard to know since they've never actually shared any real details of differentiation. But at least since the Priv and DTEK phones, they are NOT the most secure - and since when do we trust any random OEM's claims about anything? Notice how 5 different phones say they have the best camera? In the US, 4 different major networks say they have the biggest or fastest or most modern network - they can't all be true, right? So which one do we believe? Or should we all just pick one and use their own marketing as facts, rather than factual statements about the nature of those claims?

7AndTRT

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site

I don't think you'll get an answer to the question, just more buzzwords and talking in circles...

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
This post exceeded its usefulness with the first post. Sure there was a nod to how the Pixel was a nice phone, but the entire purpose here was to do what?

If you need further examples of uselessness, consider that we ended up talking about government users and what phones they use--as if they are known to be un-penetrable.

Compound that with the silly insertion of Sony into the conversation. Sony was not hacked because of what phone they had. And the easiest way to hack into a company is not necessarily through their phones. Sony was hacked because their network was not secured to even a minimal standard. That translates into employees without minimal physical or cyber security training or thinking allowing the hackers into the facility thus allowing them to lift an IT password. How exactly does that even get to one phone being more secure than the other? It doesn't.

Finally, in an obvious fit of clarity, Almeuit points out that the DoD ditched its BB's for iPhones a few years back and with utter audacity that post is replied to with what the poster relies on--their own surety of BB's unfailing security. Let me just try to make something clearer here than Almeuit--an act possibly more audacious than ever seen in the history of audaciousness. The DoD has lived by the mantra that convenience does not trump security for the last 10-12 years. They did not move away from BB because they liked the look and feel of the iPhone. If BB was the last word in enterprise mobile security, the DoD would still be using them just like its still using the C130 and the .50 Cal. They would have designed their own if they had to. They certainly wouldn't have gone to a phone with cameras.

And lets not forget to include the always useless "it looks like an iPhone". I get it, its rectangular like the iPhone, has a screen--so does the iPhone, and they thought of it first, finally, it has some buttons and a cameras, OMG, its just like the iPhone!

I know I'm being a bit of a curmudgeon here, and that this post is ill advised, but I've needed to get one off my chest for awhile now and this is just unavoidable.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The thread started as "hey I like my phone" but seems like the true nature of this thread is showing with OP further posts.

sure they take their sweet time to update and thats not helping blackberry. now with Android N the cycle is all over again.

also a note about pixel sales
as per the pixel launcher(exclusive to pixel) count from play store there are about 500k to 1 million active pixel devices but thats excluding phone which hasn't updated the app in playstore.
I don't believe that the pixel launcher has received an update via the play store yet. Because this is a system level app that is only available on pixels the first update came out on October 19th which was launch day and the second update came out with the December 5th OTA with the December security patch.

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
LOL. Samsung would make better cameras. And they wouldn't put archaic technology (slide-out keyboard) on a phone

The keyboard may be old tech, but especially in the winter with cold fingers, a physical keyboard is often faster than the on-screen one. Plus, the screen ends up being effectively bigger, as you don't lose screen space to the keyboard when typing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard may be old tech, but especially in the winter with cold fingers, a physical keyboard is often faster than the on-screen one. Plus, the screen ends up being effectively bigger, as you don't lose screen space to the keyboard when typing.

Yeah, but then you're still holding a huge, ungainly, ugly, monstrosity of terribad tech that died for a reason. That might be harsh, but what are we talking about here? Going back to sliders and trackballs? Absolutely not.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This also might sound harsh, but I feel like we're pretty far off track:

Guys it is disingenuous to forget that the Priv was a Q4 2015 device running 2014 software on a midrange SoC, low storage, bad workmanship/build quality and it was a half baked design concept to begin with. And that's without it's subjectively hideous design. It's BEST feature was a failure (security) and the only redeeming quality has been that Blackberry thankfully takes monthly security updates seriously, despite ignoring major version updates and the benefits that come with them. Trying to compare it to 2016 flagships just flat out doesn't make sense. Comparing it to 2015 flagships didn't make sense either, it was a midrange phone with a flagship price.

Now, it is TOTALLY fine to like what you like and love what you bought. Always going to encourage that. But let's not pretend this is the Phone version of Jesus. It was mediocre at best and it seems silly to me to try to compare it to any of the flagships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware