The Samsung Gods have punished me for my insolence!

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so as some of you may know, I made a post saying how I thought the Note 7 would be before it came out. Well sure enough, a lot of those expectations have come to pass. I have a Note 5 and originally was not planning on getting a Note 7, however, this weekend my laptop broke and i do not have $500-$700 to buy another one.

I also move a lot of files off of my Note 5 to my laptop and then onto a thumb drive sometimes. Well I found out the hard way what happens when you don't have a laptop, its either you email the files to yourself(not realistic for everything) or upload them to Google Drive, which took me over 20 mins for 120 photos, and 8 mins for 60! This is just too long, what were they thinking?? So I am considering getting the Note 7 although I don't want to let my Note 5 go just because the file transfer options suck. It seems fine now, but if I change my mind later, I can't go back to my Note 5 as I would have already traded it in(I have JUMP!)

So my options are 1. Suck it up and trade my Note 5 in, 2. Open up a new line and pay for it that way. or 3. Put some money down and pay for it that way, no new line, but insurance will only cover 1 phone.

At this point, I am kinda lost as to what to do, the only for sure thing is that I don't have money for a laptop and I need a way to transfer music and pics off my phone that won't take almost half an hour.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As far as what you should do (financially) that's really up to you. I would suggest taking a long look at what option(s) you can afford. It seems like you have three (3) options you are considering; however, you need to weight the cost of paying the device over the x number of months to pay it off or the responsibility of being on the hook for the new line if you decide to go that route.

But really, if you do regular backups and have a decent connection (WiFi) your backups should not take that long. If you want to transfer files to a thumb drive, which is appears you do, then consider transferring straight from the Note 5 to the memory stick/external storage: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...onnect-large-external-usb-drive-note-5-a.html

Although it would be great to get a Note 7, I'm not sure how buying a Note 7 would solve your problem when you can solve it now with the Note 5 and save some money. Though, if you want the new device and you can afford it then go for it.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so as some of you may know, I made a post saying how I thought the Note 7 would be before it came out. Well sure enough, a lot of those expectations have come to pass. I have a Note 5 and originally was not planning on getting a Note 7, however, this weekend my laptop broke and i do not have $500-$700 to buy another one.

I also move a lot of files off of my Note 5 to my laptop and then onto a thumb drive sometimes. Well I found out the hard way what happens when you don't have a laptop, its either you email the files to yourself(not realistic for everything) or upload them to Google Drive, which took me over 20 mins for 120 photos, and 8 mins for 60! This is just too long, what were they thinking?? So I am considering getting the Note 7 although I don't want to let my Note 5 go just because the file transfer options suck. It seems fine now, but if I change my mind later, I can't go back to my Note 5 as I would have already traded it in(I have JUMP!)

So my options are 1. Suck it up and trade my Note 5 in, 2. Open up a new line and pay for it that way. or 3. Put some money down and pay for it that way, no new line, but insurance will only cover 1 phone.

At this point, I am kinda lost as to what to do, the only for sure thing is that I don't have money for a laptop and I need a way to transfer music and pics off my phone that won't take almost half an hour.

wouldn't it be less expensive to go get a new laptop then getting a note 7?

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I backup all my photos regularly so it doesn't take long. Then I delete them from my phone. I'm using Google drive, onedrive, flickr and Dropbox. It's a good habit to have them backed up elsewhere should something happen to your phone. A half hour for an initial backup is nothing. Especially when your other option is spending close to a grand.

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
If I get a cheap piece of crap, yes, I saw 1 laptop for like $329.99 and another for almost $400 this are barebones systems for a mid range pc you will spend more.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I backup all my photos regularly so it doesn't take long. Then I delete them from my phone. I'm using Google drive, onedrive, flickr and Dropbox. It's a good habit to have them backed up elsewhere should something happen to your phone. A half hour for an initial backup is nothing. Especially when your other option is spending close to a grand.

If it is just photos and videos, you should probably be using Goolge Photos with the autoback up feature on. You will have free unlimited storagae of all the photos/videos you take with your device. You can set it to move the photos off your phone, or leave them there. Either way you will be able to see them quickly in the Google Photos app -- either on your phone, or any computer you sign into.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If it is just photos and videos, you should probably be using Goolge Photos with the autoback up feature on. You will have free unlimited storagae of all the photos/videos you take with your device. You can set it to move the photos off your phone, or leave them there. Either way you will be able to see them quickly in the Google Photos app -- either on your phone, or any computer you sign into.

I do. I include that as google drive since storage comes off of that. I keep original size for the photos so as a result I don't get unlimited storage. But that's fine.
When it comes to photos I back them up everywhere. Everything on my phone is sync'd and backed up so if I were to lose it I have everything.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I do. I include that as google drive since storage comes off of that. I keep original size for the photos so as a result I don't get unlimited storage. But that's fine.
When it comes to photos I back them up everywhere. Everything on my phone is sync'd and backed up so if I were to lose it I have everything.

FYI, none of the Galaxy phones have over a 16 MP camera, so the free option gives you essentially full resolution and unlimited storage. For me, I have not noticed the trade off of what ever compression they are doing. YMMV.

Google Photos: Unlimited storage for free, with a few gotchas | ExtremeTech
Google Photo gives you unlimited storage space if you are willing to limit photo resolution to 16 megapixels and video resolution to 1080p. You do have the option to store at higher resolutions, but the storage counts against your Google Drive quota. Note that you have to make this resolution choice the first time you set up the Google Photos app on Android or iOS. This limit should not affect most phone and tablet users today. However, photo and video recording resolutions have increased tremendously over the years. And, even today there are phones like the Lumia 1020 that can record 41-megapixel images (although Google does not provide a Photos app for Microsoft Windows Phone).

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en
High quality
Unlimited free storage.
Regular cameras: Recommended for phones or point-and-shoot cameras that are 16 megapixels (MP) or less.
Uses: Good for typical printing and sharing.
Size: Saves high-quality photos and videos while reducing size.

What should I choose if I take photos with my phone?
Most phone cameras are less than 16 megapixels (like iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy phones), so most stored photos will essentially look the same if you choose High quality.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Well there's Flexshopper.com. Not the cheapest route, but they have weekly payments that come out of your checking accout

Holy Moly! I just checked that site out. More out of curiosity than anything else. A $1600 laptop costs $3848 including the rental cost.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
If not mentioned already, how about an otg cable hooked to a flash drive?
484361596e8d8f182f0b91fb1e14ee98.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95