The stars "might" be aligning for Motorola- with a lot of help from Samsung

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Motorola might be on a good track for growth. Even their new entry level products are getting good reviews and their new delivery model is getting good buzz. Now that it is essentially confirmed there is no sd slot on the Note 5, a chunk of the core Note audience could go to the new Moto X. Especially appealing to early upgrade folks.

Good things:

1. Same size display and resolution, plus view angles are apparently very good (for LCD).
2. SD slot
3. 32GB model will be at least $300 less
4. Front facing stereo speakers that apparently sound good
5. Camera is apparently good too
6. No carrier bloat
7. Unlocked
8. Custom cover options
9. Solid build- Should be less of a crack magnet than the Note 5 will likely be.

Concerns:

1. LCD display, so not as power efficient as OLED. Hopefully an IPS panel and not TFT (for LCD, IPS has better contrast and more power efficient).
2. Fixed battery powering the big 1440p LCD. Samsung has a fixed battery too, but bigger battery and OLED.
3. The consumer delivery model. Will it be adequate, or a bottleneck just using Best Buy and Motorola direct?

Added: The 808 verses the 7420 chipset is not a concern for me, since both are IMO fast enough. The 808 is faster overall than the 805 in the Note 4. I leave the Note 4 in power saving mode most of the time and do not even notice too many games impacted much.

Anandtech has a good summary review of the 808 performance in the G4- Another device that should gain customers due to Samsung's cardless move.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested to see what Samsung brings, but I agree that Moto may have made a competitor to it in class - though I firmly believe the Note will still sell a ton more devices.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah samsung will sell millions more notes. I like the note series a lot but don't use any of the note features. For people like me switching between equivalent devices is easy. There are some spen diehards who will never leave though. But I greatly prefer Moto as a company and their software.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola might be on a good track for growth. Even their new entry level products are getting good reviews and their new delivery model is getting good buzz. Now that it is essentially confirmed there is no sd slot on the Note 5, a chunk of the core Note audience could go to the new Moto X. Especially appealing to early upgrade folks.

Good things:

1. Same size display and resolution, plus view angles are apparently very good (for LCD).
2. SD slot
3. 32GB model will be at least $300 less
4. Front facing stereo speakers that apparently sound good
5. Camera is apparently good too
6. No carrier bloat
7. Unlocked
8. Custom cover options
9. Solid build- Should be less of a crack magnet than the Note 5 will likely be.

Concerns:

1. LCD display, so not as power efficient as OLED. Hopefully an IPS panel and not TFT (for LCD, IPS has better contrast and more power efficient).
2. Fixed battery powering the big 1440p LCD. Samsung has a fixed battery too, but bigger battery and OLED.
3. The consumer delivery model. Will it be adequate, or a bottleneck just using Best Buy and Motorola direct?

Added: The 808 verses the 7420 chipset is not a concern for me, since both are IMO fast enough. The 808 is faster overall than the 805 in the Note 4. I leave the Note 4 in power saving mode most of the time and do not even notice too many games impacted much.

Anandtech has a good summary review of the 808 performance in the G4- Another device that should gain customers due to Samsung's cardless move.

Samsung will probably still outsell Motorola and it'll probably be 50Note 5s to 1 Moto X Style/Pure Edition.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I did not imply in any way Moto would sell more than Samsung, but think they will take some share away from the Note. At least 15% share also counting the G4 as part of the exodus from the Note. Just 15% would be a billion in revenue taken away from Samsung and mainly due to removing the SD slot.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I did not imply in any way Moto would sell more than Samsung, but think they will take some share away from the Note. At least 15% share also counting the G4 as part of the exodus from the Note. Just 15% would be a billion in revenue taken away from Samsung and mainly due to removing the SD slot.

I would guess that .5% or maybe 1% of sales lost may be due to the SD card. If they lose 15% of sales year over year I'd attribute that to the market diminishing along with the presence of other devices that can now compete in the giant phone arena (Nexus, LG G4, iPhone 6+, Moto X Style, etc). That alone chips away at what was formerly a one pony show.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Sales for the G4 haven't been that great. The new Moto X with an sd card slot may pick up more interest, but I doubt it will be anywhere near 15%. The Style may do better overseas where people are accustomed to purchasing unlocked devices, but here in the US, most still stick to whatever the carrier offers in store. Since the Style/Pure Edition won't supposedly make it into carrier stores, it's going to be hard to cut into the Note sales. The only large device Samsung is likely worried about is the next iPhone 6 Plus.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Working in a retail store with a mobile department, the people I see coming in are either looking for an iPhone or Galaxy. Or whatever is advertised for the best deal. Never had one person ask for a Moto. Never seen one buy a HTC One. And only a couple G4s. People buy what their friends tell them to buy it what they can get cheap.

Now, I tell everyone to get Moto but that's just me. Unless they want a camera then they must look elsewhere... Hopefully until now.

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see the note 5 take just enough hit in sales to make samsung re think the note 6.

The note line is a line all its own, with the s pen and added programs that come with it.

For people who just want a phablet sized phone than yeah, the moto will fill that need. But for people who really use it as a business or school tool there really is nothing besides the note.

Dont get me wrong, im a die hard moto fan, thats why i switch back and forth between the note line and droid line so much. But my turbo is enough smaller for me it won out (for now) but i miss some of the things i could do w the note 4. If the new droid is as big as a note and costs as much as a note than i would probably consider getting a note.
However, if it was between just having a big screen, then id prob go w moto

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It's from EvLeaks...one of the most reliable sources on phone news.

Evan Blass ‏@evleaks 5h5 hours ago
Both the GN5 and GS6e+ sport 3000mAh batteries.
Embedded image permalink

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/631188175696883712

wow, hopefully for Note fans this will be an M9 like error. if he's wrong about this I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to trust him.

that said, I have a feeling he dead on.

thx for the link!

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
what's your source? I believe you, I read the same thing on GSMArena, just wondering where you read it. thx! that would be a travesty.

Droid-Life reported the same thing last week. That leak though only pertained to the regular Note 5. Plenty of people got upset since most didn't expect a drop in battery size when compared to the Note 4. However, Samsung did the same thing with the S6 battery compared to the S5.

Posted via the AC app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non