Thinking about a Note 3

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Just totaled my G2 and moved back to my Razr Maxx. Looking to pick up a gently used phone. Never had a Samsung. But the Note series intrigues me. Been lurking a lot of forums and this one seems quiet compared to most. I take that as a good thing. Most post are about problems. I noticed that radios seem to be a little suspect in this phone. I live in a rural area. My 4 year old Razr works better than my G2. I also want wireless charging. I'll have to look into options for that. I guess I'm looking for someone to sell me on the pluses and minus of the Note 3. Thanks in advance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most post are about problems.
Because most people don't post here just to say that they have no problems. I have 2 Note 3s (mine and my wife's). My first one went in a few days and was replaced with a new one. That one went in a few weeks (because the battery died during an update that was forced on it while I was asleep) and it couldn't be reflashed, so they replaced it with a refurb. That's the one I've been using for over a year. (I just got finished trying a few different ROMs on it today - it's back to where it was, no problems. My wife's had the battery get hot once. Pulled it, let it cool off, and it never happened again.

I noticed that radios seem to be a little suspect in this phone. I live in a rural area. My 4 year old Razr works better than my G2.
The radios are pretty good, but if there's no signal, there's no signal. The Razr was never known for great radios (in fact, the first one was known for terrible radios), so if it works, a Note 3 should. (And with most carriers, you have about 2 weeks within which you can change phones.)

I also want wireless charging.
A $10 receiver inside the back cover and a $15 charging plate. I'm using a Lugu Lake for both, but there's a large selection on Amazon. Qi is just about a commodity, so a few dollars more isn't going to buy anything but looks. (I prefer a charging plate with an indicator light, so I know when the phone is positioned right. On this one it has to be a bit off to the right and a little over the front edge.) Once you get the receiver in position, tape it to the phone (not the battery), so if you want to take the battery out you just swing the receiver out of the way on its tape "hinge", and it stays in position when you fold it back to put the phone back together.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at buying used just to try out the Note experience before I shell out lots of dollars for a new 4. As far as wireless charging I have a couple of Tylt chargers that work perfect for the G2. Just get it close and it works. Expensive but very good. Is Touch Wiz as bad as I read everywhere? Do you use the stylus very much? I work in construction and get calls all of the time and have to jot down notes about supply and phone numbers. As a phone that has been out for a year and a half how is it holding up. Thanks.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Just totaled my G2 and moved back to my Razr Maxx. Looking to pick up a gently used phone. Never had a Samsung. But the Note series intrigues me. Been lurking a lot of forums and this one seems quiet compared to most. I take that as a good thing. Most post are about problems. I noticed that radios seem to be a little suspect in this phone. I live in a rural area. My 4 year old Razr works better than my G2. I also want wireless charging. I'll have to look into options for that. I guess I'm looking for someone to sell me on the pluses and minus of the Note 3. Thanks in advance.

I love my VZW Note3. Had it since July 2014.
I like the long batt. life, 64GB micro-SD card, and the S-Pen.
I really enjoy the multi-view function which allows you to run several of the most common apps on half of the display while another runs on the other half.

But the most usefule feature is the large size of the display. It is very sharp and colorful.

The only downside to the large display size is that makes it more likely you set the device down rather than slipping it into a pocket. It the Note3 is naked it is really very slim and will fit most pockets. But with a silicone skin or case it may not fit.

As a road warrior I have almost entirely stopped carrying my laptop computer and now rely on the Note3.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Note 3 just over a year now and I have nothing bad to say about it other than the Jelly Bean to KitKat update didn't go so well. But since then it's running KitKat 4.4.4 NK1 and is fast and smooth as silk. I simply love this phone and it's S pen! 👍😉
I highly recommend it, but I am anticpating the Note 5 arrival!

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I love the Notes. Note 3 was my first one. Now I have the Note 4 and my GF has my Note 3. I root all my phones and install a nice stock rom with tweaks for better battery life and stability. I also like Touch Wiz. To me, it's not as bad as people say but that may be due to the customized stock roms. I do not use the stylus often but like that it's there. I initially got the Note for the huge screen. Can't go back to a small phone now. Came from the HTC One M7. I definitely recommend the Notes.

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought my note 3 used from eBay in October it works great. I also bought a slim extended battery that fits the stock battery door. I'm constantly using the s pen to jot down quick notes. My previous phone was the note 2 which I factory reset and gave to my husband and that one is still working great also. I live in a very rural area 2 dirt roads to get to my place, the signal is fine out here normally 3 bars. My carrier is verizon and my note is running kit kat.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Just bought one off of of Gazelle. I also bought a wireless charging back cover. Let you know what I think later this week.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Because most people don't post here just to say that they have no problems. I have 2 Note 3s (mine and my wife's). My first one went in a few days and was replaced with a new one. That one went in a few weeks (because the battery died during an update that was forced on it while I was asleep) and it couldn't be reflashed, so they replaced it with a refurb. That's the one I've been using for over a year. (I just got finished trying a few different ROMs on it today - it's back to where it was, no problems. My wife's had the battery get hot once. Pulled it, let it cool off, and it never happened again.

The radios are pretty good, but if there's no signal, there's no signal. The Razr was never known for great radios (in fact, the first one was known for terrible radios), so if it works, a Note 3 should. (And with most carriers, you have about 2 weeks within which you can change phones.)

A $10 receiver inside the back cover and a $15 charging plate. I'm using a Lugu Lake for both, but there's a large selection on Amazon. Qi is just about a commodity, so a few dollars more isn't going to buy anything but looks. (I prefer a charging plate with an indicator light, so I know when the phone is positioned right. On this one it has to be a bit off to the right and a little over the front edge.) Once you get the receiver in position, tape it to the phone (not the battery), so if you want to take the battery out you just swing the receiver out of the way on its tape "hinge", and it stays in position when you fold it back to put the phone back together.
I have samsung qi cover. Can i use a receiver with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko