Thinking about rooting my Captivate

Ramenstien

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been recently thinking about rooting my Captivate. I have begun to get tired of my Captivate in itself and I thought rooting it may make me like it more. But first I do have a few questions. Is rooting illegal? I have always worried that it might be and if it is then I don't want to do it. Also how hard is it? I would really like to see what rooting has to offer me but if it is really hard I don't want to end up paying a lot of money to buy a new phone. Thanks for all the help.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
First off, rooting is not illegal as stated by a recent Library of Congress ruling. Basically, it states that the phone is your device and you can modify it as you please. However, by rooting, you will void your warranty. If you attempt to return it for any reason and they see you have superuser access, you'll probably be out of luck. That being said, you can unroot just as easily as root. Even if something goes horribly wrong, there are many resources available to get you out of trouble.

Right now, the functionality of your Captivate being unrooted is like the tip of the iceberg, meaning there is so much more to find after rooting. My best advice to you is to read, read, and once you feeling you've read enough, read some more. Also, check out xda-developers.com for some wonderful additional resources in addition to the great stuff here. Oh, and watch connexion2005's videos here in the rooting section. They're positively wonderful tutorials. One final thing, don't let anyone pressure you into doing anything to your phone until you feel that you are absolutely ready.

Good luck.

Ramenstien

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see, well that is good. Alright, I will try to read as much about this stuff as I can. Ok, Thanks a lot for your help.

Also, do you know if it works on a Mac? All of the rooting things I have seen just says things about Windows computers.

circleinsidebox

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been recently thinking about rooting my Captivate. I have begun to get tired of my Captivate in itself and I thought rooting it may make me like it more. But first I do have a few questions. Is rooting illegal? I have always worried that it might be and if it is then I don't want to do it. Also how hard is it? I would really like to see what rooting has to offer me but if it is really hard I don't want to end up paying a lot of money to buy a new phone. Thanks for all the help.

there are many methods to rooting, i'd go with
unleash the beash for rooting beginners , it's the epitome of simplicity

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see, well that is good. Alright, I will try to read as much about this stuff as I can. Ok, Thanks a lot for your help.

Also, do you know if it works on a Mac? All of the rooting things I have seen just says things about Windows computers.

I'm not sure if any of the one-click root tools will work on Mac. I would suggest using the root file from here: [GUIDE] How to Install a custom ROM *NOW WITH VIDEOS* - xda-developers

Just rename it update.zip, place it on your internal SD and select reinstall packages from recovery.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The link i provided in the post just before this one gave him all those videos and more + Links were provided in the video discriptions of the video.. but thank you

Lol sorry, if I remember right, he used a one-click method in the video, so I wasn't sure if the root file would be in the video.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
How about rooting with bay_wolf's aio toolbox? Doesn't seem like you need to know much about anything to accomplish it with that application

circleinsidebox

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
How about rooting with bay_wolf's aio toolbox? Doesn't seem like you need to know much about anything to accomplish it with that application

he has a mac so he is limited in his rooting options

unleash the beast is the easiest because it's virtually one click rooting
through your phone, u just place a zip file on your internal sd
boot your phone in recovery mode and reinstall the update package
and you're done

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
doesn't unleash the beast do other things that one may not want to do-or do themselves-in addition to rooting?

I guess he can also download the zip file directly with the device's browser and save it on the phone-then go from there

circleinsidebox

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
doesn't unleash the beast do other things that one may not want to do-or do themselves-in addition to rooting?

I guess he can also download the zip file directly with the device's browser and save it on the phone-then go from there

* Will root your Samsung Captivate (if you already have root that is ok too)
* Can enable sideloading (for installing non market apps)
* Install Busybox & symlinks (V1.17.1)
* Install SQLite3
* Install Wireless Tether App (V2.0.5) (turns phone into a router for free)
* Install Market Access App (V1.0.6) (Can uncensor your market)
* Install News & Weather App (a.k.a. Genie Widget)
* Blocks Advertisements in Apps & Browser
* Removes the AT&T Boot Animation (credit to me!)
* Removes Power On Sound
* Removes Power Off Sound
* Removes AT&T Family Map App
* Removes AT&T Music App
* Removes AT&T Maps App
* Removes AT&T Navigator App
* Removes AT&T Radio App
* Removes AT&T Hot Spots App
* Removes Days App
* Removes Daily Briefing App
* Removes Google Maps (download from market to have the latest version)
* Removes Memo App
* Removes Mini Diary App
* Removes Mobile Banking App
* Removes Mobile Video App
* Removes MobiTV App
* Removes My Files App (Astro File Manager is WAY better)
* Removes Where App
* Removes Write And Go App
* Removes Yellow Pages App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware