Thinking about trading my Note 8 for a Pixel 2 XL

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, although there’s a chance that LG screens could improve this year.

Not holding my breath but it is a possibility, no matter how slim it is
I think the odds are actually extremely high because LG just signed a deal to manufacture OLED screens for next year's iPhone X Plus phones. Apple wouldn't sign with them to add to their Samsung screens without guarantees of much better screens.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
One word. Yikes!

Guess I spoke too soon. I honestly don't know how LG does quality control.

Kinda hoping we won't have to discuss this in the future. It's honestly just heartbreaking to see such a great phone plagued with QA issues. So many things I love about it and yet when I'm going to give it another chance, the QA issues keep biting back. I sometimes wish that if I got the 2 XL, I'd get one from the golden batch.
Well, I'm now on my 3rd XL2. Let's see how this goes. So far so good, but it's been since yesterday morning when I returned the one that had that horizontal grey line.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Floss went w that over the note 8? Damn that's surprising.

Yea Note 8/ s8 Line. He didn't include the s8 line of phones because he said it's basically the same as the Note line towards the end. He really hammered the lag and Touchwiz towards the end of the video. He likes Google phones because of the stock, smooth Android experience.

IMO it could be because he uses a crap load of apps or something. I don't have lag problem on my Note 8 that much. Sometimes Gmail lags a tiny bit but that's about it. Same as my S8 Plus is really smooth as well. A lot more smooth than my Note 7. I loved my Note 7 more than Note 8 because just something about the form fit of it was perfect! I loved typing on that more too. However the Note 7 I had did have some lag to it. Wasn't bad but certainly a lot more lag than the Note 8.

I agree it's odd he picked Pixel over the Note. A year ago he was saying the Pixel was boring I recall in his review right when it came out and comparing it to the Note 7 at the time. I recall he said going from a Note to a Pixel is like going from a Ferrari to a Prius (Pixel XL the Prius.)

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Floss caved? Nooooo!

Likely the Samsung lag got him at a bad time and soured him on it. That's the thing about every single Galaxy I've ever had, including my Note 8, the lag will pop out of nowhere. It isn't constant but enough of a pain to consider something different. My Sony Xperia XZ Premium shows zero signs of this but my iPhone X will also throw a quick tantrum a la Note 8 every once in a while.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Same for me, 99% of the time, my Note 8 is smooth as butter. However, when I least expect it, and when I need it the most, it would lag, freeze, or would require a restart. Something odd I found with the device maintenance recommending to restart the phone periodically as a way to keep it running at peak performance. Either way, love the phone, I really wanted to go for the pixel 2 xl before purchasing the note 8 due to the pure Android experience and was hoping for an apple like experience on - frequent updates, good support, and best camera. I starting to realize how reliant I am with Dex and other features I'm enjoying with the Note 8.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This thing of Samsung Lag must be isolated to Snapdragon Samsungs, I have owned Exynos Samsungs incl. My S7 Edge and Note8, both of which run beautifully.
IDK. I've had the 7 edge, S8+ and Note 8. All snapdragons. No lag in sight. I'll admit I only had the S8+ for a short time but I had the 7 Edge for a while and I've had the Note 8 for 3 months. No lag in sight. Every phone, including the Pixel and iPhones have hicups every once in a while. I've had very few even minor hicups on my Note 8. Absolutely, hands down, best phone I've ever had.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
IDK. I've had the 7 edge, S8+ and Note 8. All snapdragons. No lag in sight. I'll admit I only had the S8+ for a short time but I had the 7 Edge for a while and I've had the Note 8 for 3 months. No lag in sight. Every phone, including the Pixel and iPhones have hicups every once in a while. I've had very few even minor hicups on my Note 8. Absolutely, hands down, best phone I've ever had.

I had both exynos and snapdragon versions of the Note 5, S6, S7, S7Edge and S8 plus. The exynos version runs MUCH better and smoother than the SD version. Wait maybe the note 5 was exynos across the board I don't remember. The battery life is also much better. To me its like if Apple had a version with a snapdragon. It would surely have more problems than the version with their own processor. Developing for two different chipsets is surely a tough thing to do. They need to bring it all in house in the future and cut snapdragon out of it. IMHO

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I had both exynos and snapdragon versions of the Note 5, S6, S7, S7Edge and S8 plus. The exynos version runs MUCH better and smoother than the SD version. Wait maybe the note 5 was exynos across the board I don't remember. The battery life is also much better. To me its like if Apple had a version with a snapdragon. It would surely have more problems than the version with their own processor. Developing for two different chipsets is surely a tough thing to do. They need to bring it all in house in the future and cut snapdragon out of it. IMHO
You're correct about the 5. I had the AT&T version and it had the Exynos. All my other Samsungs have been Snapdragons.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have never had the exynos versions so I can't compare, but I can't imagine my Note 8 running any smoother than it does. It runs smoother than the iPhone X and the 8 Plus that I had for a few weeks each. The S7 Edge was smooth too but not as smooth as the iPhone at the time. This is the first time I can say, without a doubt, the Note runs smoother than the iPhone. Since that's the phone everyone seems to use as a bench mark, I'd say I feel good about my Snapdragon Note 8. If the Exynos is even better then that's awesome for those that have it.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Don't do it. Just finished returning my P2XL this morning and repurchasing another Note 8.
I'm about to do the same. The Pixel XL 2 just feels so damn cheap for the price. I also miss a lot of Samsung features, from wireless charging to reminders, to Samsung Pay. Should have just stuck with Note.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a pixel 2 xl with LifeProof and Tech 21 cases in Mint condition. I have been toying with the idea of trading it for a Note 8. I would miss Project Fi...

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a pixel 2 xl with LifeProof and Tech 21 cases in Mint condition. I have been toying with the idea of trading it for a Note 8. I would miss Project Fi...
Since posting, I purchased an Unlocked Note 8. Discovered that security updates for that are worse than with carriers, and returned it. I had kept the Pixel XL 2, and have gotten happier and happier with it. Perhaps this is partly because we went to an event where I took a lot of photos. It's camera is insane. But overall, the longer I live without the Note, and with the XL2, the happier I am with the XL2. It has it's issues, but the Panda, December build I have is a vast improvement over the original October build black unit I had. The regular security updates are great.

I occasionally have Bluetooth issues, but a phone reboot sorts them out every time. Battery life on the XL 2 is so much better than the Note, there really is no comparison.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I recently received a pixel 2 xl from work and have been using it as my secondary phone. Side by side comparison, both phones have its' pros and cons.

At first, I thought a pure android experience provided by Google would be vastly different from touchwise provided by Samsung. I assumed, I wouldn't run into any issues at all; however, I was wrong. Pixel 2 xl does come with it's slew of problems - Bluetooth issues and some occasional random restarts. I do agree, taking pictures with the pixel is probably one of the best expriences I've had on a smartphone; however, video recording on the note 8 with optical stabilization comes out better.

Batter life on the pixel is about 2 hours longer with same usage compared to the note 8; however, note 8 charges faster than the pixel 2.

Screen is hands down better on the note 8. Although I don't see the blue tint everyone is talking about, I've always been a fan of the curve screen.

I don't find myself using the s-pen often but it's a nice feature to have when I do need to use it.

Both phones are very fast and responsive. No complaint here.

Long story short, thought the Pixel 2 xl would be a note 8 killer, I was wrong, both phones are awesome in their respect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunarmoon0320