Thinking about trading my Note 8 for a Pixel 2 XL

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I have been offered an unlocked Note 8 for my Pixel 2 XL
I tried one of those and returned it because they get the monthly security updates last, at some unknown time after all US carriers have released their updates. This is completely illogical, but it's true. I returned the unlocked Note 8. Best Buy agreed to not charge me the restocking fee because they called Samsung and were told the same thing I'm saying above here. I told them that they sold me something with false advertising. That if the unlocked version gets updates last, they need to somehow inform consumers, who based on other vendors, assume the unlocked phones will get updates first.

Erick47

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
My unlocked Note 8 is on the January patch and it's only about a week behind the carrier versions. It really isn't that bad of a wait. In fact, I got December before the carriers too since they were upgrading their phones to November (at least Verizon was) so it isn't as bad as you're making it seem.

Edit: directed to post above mine.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
My unlocked Note 8 is on the January patch and it's only about a week behind the carrier versions. It really isn't that bad of a wait. In fact, I got December before the carriers too since they were upgrading their phones to November (at least Verizon was) so it isn't as bad as you're making it seem.

Edit: directed to post above mine.

Everyone has their standards of how long they think is reasonable to wait for security updates. Since the evolution of Android threats from spam or unauthorized apks to Blueborne, KRACK, and now Spectre, my standard is that Google is already releasing the fixes a bit later that I'm happy with, and waiting an entire month for Samsung to release the fix is not acceptable to me, and that's why I'm unfortunately on the Pixel XL2 instead of the Note. I miss a lot about the Note, but I'm in cyber-security, and now that we've entered this new era of vulnerabilities being (for the most part) purposely exposed by either serious, or fly by night security companies who want to make a name for themselves, I have to be a lot more careful than I was in the past.

Also, I do agree, that Google (and Apple) ships security updates without enough regression testing, frequently breaking basic functionality like Bluetooth, and Samsung perhaps takes longer because they're ensuring that nothing is broken. That's probably the right thing for them to do for the great majority of their clients. It just isn't for me.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I nixed the trade. He had the international Note 8 N950F and I do not need that headache is my thought on that...if I am wrong let me know