Thinking of switching to iphone-Android is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Got HTC Evo 4 LTE 3 weeks ago.
I am thinking of exchanging for iphone. While its a beautiful screen and I like swype and voice dictation, I have been disappointed with everything else.

I really do not like ICS,and there is little help out there for 4.0. I have not been able to transfer music on the phone without complicated apps that require complicated extras.

I get a lot of emails that "cannot be displayed". (They can be displayed on Maildroid, but Maildroid lacks a lot of other basic features)
I have found the android apps really bad compared to the ones on my ipad touch.There are so many game apps for android, but they are all lacking basic things.How hard is it to make a good hearts or backgammon app. Some of the apps I use on ipod dont seem to work on android, even after downloading them.

I really do not want to have to hire someone to help me get my phone going. I have had it for 3 weeks and am not impressed by Android at all. Maybe its 4.0 but I like that the iphone is ready to go and easy to use.

Customer service called me to ask how things were. I asked a few questions, he called back, but didnt know all the answers, then never heard back from him.

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Lol customer service doesnt really kno tha ins and outs of phones android, iphone or other wise

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Android Central Forums

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If you read here in the forums lots well informed people could offer some useful info back to you. It might take half or a whole day but usually someone will chime in on the in on the solution.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like user error. You would probably be better off on the iphone they are made for people like you. I mean how hard I'd it to drag and drop music from folder to folder? -_-

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS!!! ;)

C'mon and be nice...if this is someone's first Android, it does take a little getting used to. There are a TON of nice folks out on the Android forums who will be more than happy to walk you through the steps to get your phone working.

And the reality is, Carracerz 14, A LOT of people are probably going to jump on the Android platform to keep their Verizon unlimited data plan for another couple of years, so it's in everyone's best interest to "play pretty"!

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like user error. You would probably be better off on the iphone they are made for people like you. I mean how hard I'd it to drag and drop music from folder to folder? -_-

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS!!! ;)

Seriously. That's just wrong. I've very capable tech geek & use iPhone & iPad as well as a galaxy tab 2. Let's help instead of insult.

Reactions: tlrsax54

johnanthonyhurst

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup, switching from android to iphone is the biggest mistake. Android is much better than Iphone. What you are buying in IPhone is apple and not the phone, the name will cost you more than that of the phone. For androids, most phones offer better specs and features as compared to apple's iphone, moreover, iphone is very secured when it comes to installing applications on it and changing system settings while in android the user is allowed to do all what he wants to his phone. Just find a good android phone, check this link for a guide http://www.techyv.com/article/2011-best-android-phones

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone works out of the box. The proprietary links are the best. They are in the midst of protecting their SSA from EPAR; however do not be swayed by politics and fans. They will taint your thread. Just do your research and decide for yourself. My 4S is hacked and powerful...but I don't parade through here...until something better than the S3 or one X arrives:)

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup, switching from android to iphone is the biggest mistake. Android is much better than Iphone. What you are buying in IPhone is apple and not the phone, the name will cost you more than that of the phone. For androids, most phones offer better specs and features as compared to apple's iphone, moreover, iphone is very secured when it comes to installing applications on it and changing system settings while in android the user is allowed to do all what he wants to his phone. Just find a good android phone, check this link for a guide http://www.techyv.com/article/2011-best-android-phones

It's 2012....

I use both android and iPhone together. They are essentially the same exact thing. The differences are minor.

You buy an iPhone because it just works.

talonace

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
In my personal experience between the iPhone and an Android I would actually go with the iPhone in the end for stability. I have had a Hacked iPhone and a rooted droid and I have to say, iPhone didnt have any problems hacked and my droid actually did have some problems. I am a Droid fan so don't get me wrong. I think in the end of it here it all boils down to opinion. Sorry to say but Apple does have a more solid platform guys.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Seriously. That's just wrong. I've very capable tech geek & use iPhone & iPad as well as a galaxy tab 2. Let's help instead of insult.

In all fairness to carracerz14, the OP has posted nothing but issues with his phone. We've been trying to help him out for awhile.

I don't know if he has a dud phone or it's just user error, but he shouldn't be having these basic issues, and the complaints he has are vague, such as "apps lack basic features" but no details and "mail cannot be displayed" but no details (like...what mails? What app has he tried? Are they from a specific sender, is it all emails, just some, are they HTML emails, etc?). What about transferring music? Yeah, he mentions he's having trouble, but why? What is he trying to get music from? iTunes? A PC? His iPod? What app(s) is he trying? Even if it's iTunes (as I suspect it is), is he using Doubletwist? What kind of issues is he having? Was he aware when he was buying music from iTunes (assuming that's where the music is from) of the DRM they put in place and that he might have issue getting his music into anything else? Apple is king of tying you into their ecosystem and making it as hard as possible to get your stuff out. That's why I (and many people) avoid iDevice specific stuff like the plague (like why would I ever buy an iBook that only works on Apple devices when I could use Kindle and it works on everything....likewise with music...why would I ever buy it through iTunes when I could use Amazon or Google and have it work on everything?)

For the games he's concerned about, which ones is he using? What "basic features" are lacking that apparently the app on his iPod has? Has he read the reviews? Has he asked for recommendations in the apps/games forum?

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, but when asking for help, you need to provide some details rather than just vague references to things not working.

Anyways, maybe it is best he gets an iPhone. I mean, I don't like it, but many people think it's simple. I disagree and think Android is simpler, but that's me. Just some examples:

1. Android apps crash less (surprising, but iOS is not more stable): Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes
  2. You have to do things from certain places in iOS. For example, do you want to send a picture as an attachment on an email? You can't do it from the email. In fact, you can't attach anything from the email app. You have to go to your gallery, and attach it to an email from there, and even then you can only attach one (so to share 5 pictures I have to send 5 mails). On Android, you can do it from either place (the email app or the gallery app...and attach as many as I want). Do you want to share a picture to Facebook? Well, you can't do it from the gallery (at least until iOS6 comes out, supposedly, but what if you want to share it with Instagram? Well, maybe in iOS7 in 2014/15 they'll add that...and then maybe Flikr in iOS8 in 2014/15). What about editing a picture with your favorite photo editing app? Can't do that from the gallery either...gotta be in the app. Android has sharing down pat...I can do it from the app side or the gallery/file side, and to any app I have installed. They've done it right.
  3. Want to add a word to the dictionary? Depending on your keyboard, it's typically one press on Android (I use Swype, and it's just a matter of typing in the word and pressing "add to dictionary" and I can do it anywhere that allows me to type. On iOS, you have to back out of whatever app you're typing in, go into settings, into general, keyboard, shortcuts, then add them from there (yes, it's buried 4 deep into a menu). Why is it so complicated?

I could go on. iOS is not as user friendly as people make it out to be...by a long shot. I suspect people think this because it's just a screen of icons so it looks simple. Looks are deceiving. I get extremely frustrated with my iPad. Heck, just last night, I found out if I'm viewing a YouTube video in a web page or in an app, you can't add it to your favorites. Why the hell not? Why do I have to be in the YouTube app to save it to my favorites? I can on Android. So on my iPad I have to make note of the video, exit my app, go into the YouTube app, do a search, and add it to my favorites from there. Pain in the ass.

You have to jump through hoops to do pretty much anything. Android has the business layer down pat....if you're looking at a picture, Android knows you might want to save it, share it (to any app that can handle a picture), edit it, etc. iOS thinks you might want to email it or Tweet it. That's it. Oh wait...in iOS6 (in several months), they'll let you share it to Facebook too. Whoopee. Let me know when I can share a picture with any app I have installed that will handle a picture. Let me know when I can click on name or address in a web browser or another app and the OS will recognize I might want to view that address on a map, or call them, or drive there or see what's nearby or add it to my contacts. Then iOS will be where Android was at 3 years ago. Don't make me jump through hoops to do things. Recognize what I'm looking at and give me options for all the stuff I might want to do with that type of content. That's the power of Android.

Sorry for going off. I just don't understand this iOS "ease of use" nonsense and disagree completely with it.

As for the OP (or anyone else), I highly suggest viewing these videos before thinking about going to the iPhone (long but worth it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=1&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayx4XsBaJBI&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=2&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGQ_xts_Gw&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=3&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPKVWv1WxU&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=4&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5A4k1bDV0s&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=5&feature=plpp_video

Last edited:
Reactions: Raul720

selders59

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I went from the HTC evo 3D to the iPhone 4S when my 3D crapped out and Sprint could not even fix it. But within 2 months I am back with the evo 4lte and I am MUCH HAPPIER. The iPhone just did not cut it for me. It is a closed system so no rom developing and all the good themes and apps you have to pay for. Glad to be back on Android.

Sent from my "Beach Watcher" 4LTE

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
In all fairness to carracerz14, the OP has posted nothing but issues with his phone. We've been trying to help him out for awhile.

I don't know if he has a dud phone or it's just user error, but he shouldn't be having these basic issues, and the complaints he has are vague, such as "apps lack basic features" but no details and "mail cannot be displayed" but no details (like...what mails? What app has he tried? Are they from a specific sender, is it all emails, just some, are they HTML emails, etc?). What about transferring music? Yeah, he mentions he's having trouble, but why? What is he trying to get music from? iTunes? A PC? His iPod? What app(s) is he trying? Even if it's iTunes (as I suspect it is), is he using Doubletwist? What kind of issues is he having? Was he aware when he was buying music from iTunes (assuming that's where the music is from) of the DRM they put in place and that he might have issue getting his music into anything else? Apple is king of tying you into their ecosystem and making it as hard as possible to get your stuff out. That's why I (and many people) avoid iDevice specific stuff like the plague (like why would I ever buy an iBook that only works on Apple devices when I could use Kindle and it works on everything....likewise with music...why would I ever buy it through iTunes when I could use Amazon or Google and have it work on everything?)

For the games he's concerned about, which ones is he using? What "basic features" are lacking that apparently the app on his iPod has? Has he read the reviews? Has he asked for recommendations in the apps/games forum?

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, but when asking for help, you need to provide some details rather than just vague references to things not working.

Anyways, maybe it is best he gets an iPhone. I mean, I don't like it, but many people think it's simple. I disagree and think Android is simpler, but that's me. Just some examples:

1. Android apps crash less (surprising, but iOS is not more stable): Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes
  2. You have to do things from certain places in iOS. For example, do you want to send a picture as an attachment on an email? You can't do it from the email. In fact, you can't attach anything from the email app. You have to go to your gallery, and attach it to an email from there, and even then you can only attach one (so to share 5 pictures I have to send 5 mails). On Android, you can do it from either place (the email app or the gallery app...and attach as many as I want). Do you want to share a picture to Facebook? Well, you can't do it from the gallery (at least until iOS6 comes out, supposedly, but what if you want to share it with Instagram? Well, maybe in iOS7 in 2014/15 they'll add that...and then maybe Flikr in iOS8 in 2014/15). What about editing a picture with your favorite photo editing app? Can't do that from the gallery either...gotta be in the app. Android has sharing down pat...I can do it from the app side or the gallery/file side, and to any app I have installed. They've done it right.
  3. Want to add a word to the dictionary? Depending on your keyboard, it's typically one press on Android (I use Swype, and it's just a matter of typing in the word and pressing "add to dictionary" and I can do it anywhere that allows me to type. On iOS, you have to back out of whatever app you're typing in, go into settings, into general, keyboard, shortcuts, then add them from there (yes, it's buried 4 deep into a menu). Why is it so complicated?

I could go on. iOS is not as user friendly as people make it out to be...by a long shot. I suspect people think this because it's just a screen of icons so it looks simple. Looks are deceiving. I get extremely frustrated with my iPad. Heck, just last night, I found out if I'm viewing a YouTube video in a web page or in an app, you can't add it to your favorites. Why the hell not? Why do I have to be in the YouTube app to save it to my favorites? I can on Android. So on my iPad I have to make note of the video, exit my app, go into the YouTube app, do a search, and add it to my favorites from there. Pain in the ass.

You have to jump through hoops to do pretty much anything. Android has the business layer down pat....if you're looking at a picture, Android knows you might want to save it, share it (to any app that can handle a picture), edit it, etc. iOS thinks you might want to email it or Tweet it. That's it. Oh wait...in iOS6 (in several months), they'll let you share it to Facebook too. Whoopee. Let me know when I can share a picture with any app I have installed that will handle a picture. Let me know when I can click on name or address in a web browser or another app and the OS will recognize I might want to view that address on a map, or call them, or drive there or see what's nearby or add it to my contacts. Then iOS will be where Android was at 3 years ago. Don't make me jump through hoops to do things. Recognize what I'm looking at and give me options for all the stuff I might want to do with that type of content. That's the power of Android.

Sorry for going off. I just don't understand this iOS "ease of use" nonsense and disagree completely with it.

As for the OP (or anyone else), I highly suggest viewing these videos before thinking about going to the iPhone (long but worth it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=1&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayx4XsBaJBI&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=2&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsGQ_xts_Gw&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=3&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPKVWv1WxU&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=4&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5A4k1bDV0s&list=PL6802272A3298B902&index=5&feature=plpp_video

You can do whatever you want with iTunes music. If you don't know that then you're lying about using an iDevice.

Other than that I don't care about the rest of your rant. Whatever. They are both great systems & work easy.

Btw, most of those videos are BS & the guy clearly doesn't know how to use iOS. Like blaming iOS for the dolphin browser being able to copy. Safari does it just fine. Not being able to edit text file from dropbox & blaming it on ios, notability & Droptext & quickoffice all do it just fine, why can't Dropbox. Sharing a we page to FB, easy, there are bookmarklets that sit right in the bookmark tool bar. Plus there are many 3rd party videos that have FB sharing features. Odd, on one hand he uses dolphin browser, another he uses safari but hates it. Seriously... Anyway, many other things he's wrong about & I don't truly believe he's an iOS user or he would know these simple things.

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
What about transferring music? Yeah, he mentions he's having trouble, but why? What is he trying to get music from? iTunes? A PC? His iPod? What app(s) is he trying? Even if it's iTunes (as I suspect it is), is he using Doubletwist? What kind of issues is he having? Was he aware when he was buying music from iTunes (assuming that's where the music is from) of the DRM they put in place and that he might have issue getting his music into anything else? Apple is king of tying you into their ecosystem and making it as hard as possible to get your stuff out. That's why I (and many people) avoid iDevice specific stuff like the plague (like why would I ever buy an iBook that only works on Apple devices when I could use Kindle and it works on everything....likewise with music...why would I ever buy it through iTunes when I could use Amazon or Google and have it work on everything?)

iTunes/Apple dropped the DRM protection from their music a couple years ago. The music I listen to on my Android phone with Google Play Music are songs transferred directly from my iTunes account on my PC.

Just saying...

Last edited:

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
iTunes/Apple dropped the DRM protection from their music a couple years ago. The music I listen to on my Android phone with Google Play Music are songs transferred directly from my iTunes account on my PC.

Just saying...

I also use my iTunes music through google music or amazon cloud player.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Just saying...

Yeah, I know that, but don't you still have to pay 30 cents a track to free your music that you purchased before that change (pretty sure I'm correct on that)? And as of last year, with the intro of iCloud, purchases from before the DRM-Free change are once again re-downloaded with DRM on them: Source. As far as I know they still haven't fixed that, but again, I could be wrong on that....I avoid it.

The point was that the OP doesn't provide any info about what issues he's actually having outside of (and I quote): " I have not been able to transfer music on the phone without complicated apps that require complicated extras."

Anyways, it's not telling us anything about the actual issue.

Other than that I don't care about the rest of your rant. Whatever. They are both great systems & work easy.

I never said they didn't work well. Apologies for the "rant" but to say Android is hard to use while iOS is simple is just not true (IMO). If you can't pick up both phones and use them out of the box, then....wow. They're the same (or basically the same) for all your basic tasks (calls, surfing the web, texts, downloading/purchasing/installing apps, etc), and I was pointing out how Android makes a lot of things even simpler, while iOS makes you jump through some hoops or menus to do seemingly basic tasks.

But whatever. Just get easily annoyed when people complain about Android being "oh so complicated you have to be a tech genius to use it" when that's not the case at all. It only gets complicated when you start talking about customizing the crap out of it....but out of the box, it's easy-peasy.

Last edited:

Dave4321

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The main iPhone advantage are the number of quality apps including games. Android is catching up, but it's not close yet. I mostly use my phone for web browsing. iPhone web browsing is terrible for me because it doesn't have word wrap.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I know that, but don't you still have to pay 30 cents a track to free your music that you purchased before that change (pretty sure I'm correct on that)? And as of last year, with the intro of iCloud, purchases from before the DRM-Free change are once again re-downloaded with DRM on them: Source. As far as I know they still haven't fixed that.

I paid the $25 for iTunes match which in essence "frees" your music by throwing all of your tracks into the iCloud. (I have over 4k songs, I was not about to do it song by song).

And there is a workaround to the iCloud songs with DRM protection that works, that's how I got older iTunes songs on my Android device, but it's a pita process.

Apple certainly does not make it easy to work outside of their environment, but that's exactly how they want it. I jumped on the iPod bandwagon from day one, so I've been using iTunes for just as long (a decade plus). So I've found ways to play my music on my Android devices, and Google Play actually sees all my iTunes music, and allows me to stream all of it. I just can't download any of the iTunes songs to my device that happen to still have the DRM. That's when I use the workaround I mentioned.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
^^ Thanks.

Don't get me wrong...I'm more than willing to help the guy out (and have in a couple of his other threads). He just needs to provide some details about the issues beyond "Android is terrible" and a bunch of vague references to things.

Maybe I'll try again. After all, I truly want people to be happy with their phone, so here goes:

First, have you looked/read through the these threads:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html
and
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

I have not been able to transfer music on the phone without complicated apps that require complicated extras.

What issues are you having? What music are you trying to get on it? What format are they in? Are the DRM-protected? How are you trying to get it onto the phone? What "complicated" apps are you using?

I get a lot of emails that "cannot be displayed". (They can be displayed on Maildroid, but Maildroid lacks a lot of other basic features)

What kind of emails? Are the HTML or plain text? Are they from the same user or same company? What is unique about the emails compared to the ones that do display, or is it just random (or seemingly random)? What email apps have you tried? If I PM you an email address, can you forward one to me so I can look at it on my phone?

I have found the android apps really bad compared to the ones on my ipad touch.There are so many game apps for android, but they are all lacking basic things.How hard is it to make a good hearts or backgammon app. Some of the apps I use on ipod dont seem to work on android, even after downloading them.

What basic features? That's a pretty generic phrase, so what specific features do you consider basic that they aren't doing? It's kind of hard to screw up Hearts or Backgammon and a quick search on the Play store reveals at least a few hundred Hearts games and about 400 Backgammon ones. Have you tried posting for advice in the Games forum asking about one with the specific features you are looking for?

And what do you mean by "don't seem to work"? Do they not open? Do they error? Do they force close? Do they just not function the way you were expecting? Other?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.