Third Party Launchers?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I paid for the full version a long time ago so I will reinstall it and give it a try. Cheers Javier.
When you install Nova it's possible that it won't stick as default launcher on the first try. This is normal with some OEMs and you just need to repeat the process (in both the phone and Nova settings) until it works. Also, MIUI is known for a very aggressive RAM and battery management. This means that there's a chance that it could kill some background processes, like your widgets in Nova, making them not to refresh properly. If this happens make sure those apps/widgets are not optimised in MIUI settings.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
When you install Nova it's possible that it won't stick as default launcher on the first try. This is normal with some OEMs and you just need to repeat the process (in both the phone and Nova settings) until it works. Also, MIUI is known for a very aggressive RAM and battery management. This means that there's a chance that it could kill some background processes, like your widgets in Nova, making them not to refresh properly. If this happens make sure those apps/widgets are not optimised in MIUI settings.
Hi Javier, I thought I would check with the Xiaomi Mi Community regarding this issue. The guru's on there suggested that I leave well alone as Nova will be very unreliable. I'm fairly happy with MIUI's stock launcher so I'll stick with that for now. Thanks for your help.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have used Nova and Niagara, Hyperion and Microsoft. Currently I am using Smart Launcher as I like the categories in the app drawer and I like the arch layout for icons on my screen. Dynamic theming works well and it was simple to set up.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I paid for Nova a long time ago; got it on sale too. Always used it for the same reason as @Javier P does: gestures. double tap to sleep, with Nova, and double tap to wake that's integrated in the Pixel, and I hardly use my power button.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Javier, I thought I would check with the Xiaomi Mi Community regarding this issue. The guru's on there suggested that I leave well alone as Nova will be very unreliable. I'm fairly happy with MIUI's stock launcher so I'll stick with that for now. Thanks for your help.
Yup, unfortunately that's the case with Xiaomi and third party launchers.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
What is it that you don't care for in Nova or is it that Smart Launcher has a feature that Nova doesn't for you?

I actually purchased nova and gave it a good try a couple of times on different devices. I don't know what is available on it now but at the time, it did not have drawers, and the home screen looked like all the others with rows with limited customizing. It had a higher learning curve than smart launcher and more. I wanted something with a completely different look.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I actually purchased nova and gave it a good try a couple of times on different devices. I don't know what is available on it now but at the time, it did not have drawers, and the home screen looked like all the others with rows with limited customizing. It had a higher learning curve than smart launcher and more. I wanted something with a completely different look.
The thing that I like about Nova over other launchers is the backups. You can create endless creations/configurations and then back them up wherever you want so you can recall that one-off crazy configuration 2 years from now...if you want. I don't know of another launcher that allows that reliably.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The thing that I like about Nova over other launchers is the backups. You can create endless creations/configurations and then back them up wherever you want so you can recall that one-off crazy configuration 2 years from now...if you want. I don't know of another launcher that allows that reliably.
I tried so many over the years just to check them out , Nova hands down .

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
To me that does sound crazy. Complicated, crazy, but some people like it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
App drawer is definitely available in Nova. In fact, one reason I liked Nova is because I could use a vertical app drawer. It is also possible to use all kinds of custom gestures in Nova: your mileage may vary there, since not everyone likes using gestures.

Reactions: mustang7757

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

My customization-obsessed self would love to have that as an option!

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have used Nova since my S4. I love the customizations and the backup. I wish Nova would support the Samsung Folds. I miss Nova on my Fold 3. I have tried all the Samsung customizations and they are ok, but they don't deliver what I liked about Nova.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I have used Nova since my S4. I love the customizations and the backup. I wish Nova would support the Samsung Folds. I miss Nova on my Fold 3. I have tried all the Samsung customizations and they are ok, but they don't deliver what I liked about Nova.
Yeah I truly missed Nova on the foldable ...I had Fold 2 and 3 ...

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I really like Niagra for when I want a simpler screen (relatively) but I always end up going back to Nova VII.
ddc3603ff0e83e66fcdc86c6e918f0d2.jpg