Third Party Launchers?

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I used to use third party launchers, mostly Nova, but haven't used them for a few years as I'm quite happy with stock versions. In the past, there were many discussions on here regarding their merits but as of late those discussions have deminished. How many of you still use them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I still always use Nova. I love the greater customizability, including icon pack support. I occasionally go back to the Pixel Launcher to test certain features, but before long I go back to Nova.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I also use Nova.

The stock Samsung launcher is actually pretty good now, but there are still things it can't do that I'm used to having with Nova.

Haven't really tried the Pixel launcher on my6, but I'm guessing it would be so barebones that it would drive me crazy.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I always use stock... I've never had a need yet that the stock launcher didn't take care of. I guess I have simple needs :p

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I used to use third party launchers, mostly Nova, but haven't used them for a few years as I'm quite happy with stock versions. In the past, there were many discussions on here regarding their merits but as of late those discussions have deminished. How many of you still use them?

I used nova for a long time. Customizability was on point and I liked that you could back up it's settings and everything. Also liked the 5 page app dock. Now I have a custom rom that uses a launcher named Shady Launcher. Smooth as butter its great. I prefer something over stock because stock is boring lol. My opinion.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I might give Nova another whirl. It's been a couple of years since I last used it. Have there been any significant changes since then?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm always on Nova. Samsung's OneUI is good, but I can't STAND the forced squircle frame on all icons.

I also like being able to change the color and size of the notification number dots. I don't like OneUI's fixed orange color. I prefer to set a deep red color for it, and bump the size up a notch to make the number more readable for my aging eyes.

I also like my calender icon to show the current date, and OneUI seems to ignore it on most calendar apps except it's own.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I might give Nova another whirl. It's been a couple of years since I last used it. Have there been any significant changes since then?
Nova 7 was rebased on Launcher3 and went through a long testing run. It works great with new features, like the Swipe down action on icons. After that new version the launcher is even better than it was. Just a warning. After Android 10 a few OEMs don't allow full Navigation Gestures when using any third party launcher. For example, Xiaomi models are known to have these incompatibility problems. Which phone do you have?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nova 7 was rebased on Launcher3 and went through a long testing run. It works great with new features, like the Swipe down action on icons. After that new version the launcher is even better than it was. Just a warning. After Android 10 a few OEMs don't allow full Navigation Gestures when using any third party launcher. For example, Xiaomi models are known to have these incompatibility problems. Which phone do you have?
Thats still a issue on some device's with gestures:(

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Oh dear me, it's a Redmi Note 10 Pro. I do use guesture navigation so I could well have issues.