This screen drives me insane. Send it back?

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
If you really want to see it you can go to daydream settings, it gives you a bright white screen to see it. I doubt you will be able to see it in a month. Does not bother me at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: This screen drives me an insane. Send it back?

Normal? It doesn't do that on the S7, S7 Edge , iPhone 6S, HTC One M8, ... Only phone I ever had it on was the One Plus One ...
It's also not just greyish on mine...It's more blurry.

It gets gray on my HTC M9 I just think that's the way Android and Google has made it work.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If you're not happy, return it. Never spend the money you work hard to earn on something you don't like.

Having said that, often times yellowing is a by product of rushing products out the door and not curing the glue properly. If this is the case (it honestly looks like it to me) it will go away in a month or so — after the return period :/

Take it back. Try again. Or try something else :) You have access to two phones I would love to get my hands on — Z5 Compact and Huawei P9.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I to have the yellow at the bottom of my screen, only on white backgrounds. It is bothering the crap out of me. I look at it every time I use the phone because I like to use a white keyboard.

I thought I was going crazy. People at my work said they didn't see it, saying I'm just trying to think of a reason to return it. The thing is I really like the phone, battery life, build quality it's all good. Just don't know if I can get past the yellow at the bottom of the display. I have also read the thing that Jerry said about it being the glue and going away.

Could you imagine if Apple told it's customers that? To me this is what I dislike about android it's a lottery about trying to get a good device. Where is the quality control?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Could you imagine if Apple told it's customers that? To me this is what I dislike about android it's a lottery about trying to get a good device. Where is the quality control?

They did with the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S and iPad 2 and iPad 3 :)

Here's one quick example Apple Support Says iPhone 4 Yellow Tint Problem Is "Residue From Manufacturing"

It's a standard thing that happens to every phone manufacturer that bonds the LCD to the glass/digitizer. Sometimes it goes away during the burn-in at the factory, sometimes after just a few hours using your phone, and sometimes it can take weeks.

That doesn't excuse it — you should still return it if you're not happy.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I have it too. 3 others said they couldn't see it, but I can. Like you guys it's on the bottom side, and it bothers me, but I'm gonna hold out and hope it goes away in a month or so. I was an ***** and used sunshine to S off this one already, don't want to pay again to S off the replacement lol

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Take it back. Try again. Or try something else :) You have access to two phones I would love to get my hands on — Z5 Compact and Huawei P9.
You mean this? :p
13254335_1227128720630672_4978393096624579493_n.jpg

As for the OP, I'm thinking that it might be the glue not fully drying-out from manufacturing. It should go away in a month or two, but I'd get a replacement if it really does bother the heck out of you.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
If you're not happy, return it. Never spend the money you work hard to earn on something you don't like.

Having said that, often times yellowing is a by product of rushing products out the door and not curing the glue properly. If this is the case (it honestly looks like it to me) it will go away in a month or so — after the return period :/

Funny you mention those two phones. The 5 compact is amazing! But I'm a sucker for flagships and it wasn't giving me the wow feeling. More like a rational but great choice. Just held the P9 for the first time and wasn't very impressed either. I'm sure it's a great phone for the money, but the Huawei build style is not my thing. But again, that's emotion over rational thinking :)

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I went to the store and returned it. I think they thought I was insane because no one saw it. Luckily, I had the pictures posted before with me. And it's a great store so they didn't argue and exchanged!

The new unit.... it has the same panel (not the Sharp, the other one with the weird name) and yet it is sooooo different. I actually stopped walking when I went outside and stared at it for several seconds in disbelief. The screen is much brighter!

There's a lot less pink and the yellow is also less or non existing. Not completely sure yet ;) Will have to test in darker conditions.

Either way, I also now have a scratch free unit (my first one already had a dent grrr) AND a better screen. I am one happppy camper.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Also! The camera seems to autofocus faster and take shots more easily. Same software. Either I m delirious and seeing things or I had a realllly bad unit before.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Thx for all your advice, everyone! Made me feel a little less crazy and OCD and made me go back to the store!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Funny you mention those two phones. The 5 compact is amazing! But I'm a sucker for flagships and it wasn't giving me the wow feeling. More like a rational but great choice. Just held the P9 for the first time and wasn't very impressed either. I'm sure it's a great phone for the money, but the Huawei build style is not my thing. But again, that's emotion over rational thinking :)

I used one a few weeks ago shortly after it launched while away from the US.

Really, it's probably the best Huawei-branded device I've used. Performance was pretty snappy, EMUI is actually tolerable and usable and that camera is great.

To my surprise, some variants actually do work on US GSM carriers.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I used one a few weeks ago shortly after it launched while away from the US.

Really, it's probably the best Huawei-branded device I've used. Performance was pretty snappy, EMUI is actually tolerable and usable and that camera is great.

To my surprise, some variants actually do work on US GSM carriers.

I can't stand the UI unfortunately... same for LG even :/

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: This screen drives me an insane. Send it back?

Normal? It doesn't do that on the S7, S7 Edge , iPhone 6S, HTC One M8, ... Only phone I ever had it on was the One Plus One ...
It's also not just greyish on mine...It's more blurry.

Normal. I have seen this on and off through owning iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus etc etc... A characteristic of the LCD like Light bleeding. Not optimal, just not great to have on a display.

Hard to get ideal displays. They're all a lottery.

S7 Edge and AMOLED in general has WAY worse display lottery problems. Having owned 3x of them. Some have bands running down, 1/2 red 1/2 blue, gradients etc.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Very informative thread... Good Luck OP.

Curious, if this is something that can get better (or completely go away) over time is it conversely something that can get worse over time?

thanks

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I still have some of the darker stains at the bottom of the screen on the new panel as well. But it's less. I hope Jerry is right and that it goes away after a while :) I am happier with this unit since I have less pink on the screen, a brighter screen and even the camera and battery seem to perform better. Really weird. I wonder if I had a bad unit. Good thing I returned it!