This should work right?

Xaero252

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay so some of you probably know about replacing the webtop linux distribution on the Atrix 4g with a full fledged ARM distribution of Ubuntu, and that it has now been streamlined into a touch&go app (for the most part) for rooted phones. Knowing that Webtop is pretty much the same on all phones that have a lapdock available for them (and some that don't) and that the way the webtop os works is the same on pretty much all of the phones. Additionally, since the Atrix and the Bionic are very similar in hardware, is it safe to assume that installing ubuntu as my webtop os should work?

I have backups of my current webtop partition (which I won't be touching anyway, I'm going to be installing to sdcard)

Here is a link the the XDA thread on the Atrix lapdock to ubuntu app:
[webtop] webtop2sd 1.1.0 - xda-developers

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Just a quick update - The app won't work due to a device model number check, I'm gonna have to go the manual route.

Damn. :) I was hoping someone would try it! LoL I want to try this as well, but not until I can completely restore it back to factory if I screw it up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Xaero252

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The good news about modifying the webtop is, you should be able to return it to normal presuming you made a proper backup of all the files modified while changing it. This is able to be done through the normal filesystem with JUST root access.

Someone else tried to use the manual guide as well, but it doesn't work the same on the bionic, it should still be very possible...it may have been user error as the person did admit being newer to linux.

If you aren't experienced with a Linux terminal however, I highly reccomend waiting until the webtop2sd app supports the bionic (I'm hoping if we can provide the Dev with the webtop files from Bionic that he can add support for the phone). I'm in the process of dumping & uploading /osh/ (where webtop is stored after the device is booted) so that the dev can take a look through the files and see if his app will work for us like it does for them (which it should, tbh).

globed

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I am going to attempt this:) someone should do it right? So i already backed it all up and i have a way of restoring it should itgo wrong!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reroseroy