Those that upgraded from the Note 9: Any regrets?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the newer is better, unless in rare cases where a company screws up. But fortunately that's not the case here and S10 series is better than Note 9 in every way assuming you don't care about S-Pen.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Improvements is a loose term. What you think are minimal improvements, others think are great improvements. The OP is coming from a older phone, so to them the improvements of either note 9 or S10 will be a decent improvement.

So, OP,... Did you decide on one yet, or going to wait for the note 10 to be announced for official pricing and specs? Just curious what you decided.

Yeah, I'm going with the S10+. After a few days of handling a Note 8, I've concluded that a Note is too heavy to hold in my smaller hands. While the S-Pen is convenient, it's not essential to me, and the upgraded internals should serve me well until my next upgrade. By then, 5G will be more widespread and have the kinks worked out as well.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going with the S10+. After a few days of handling a Note 8, I've concluded that a Note is too heavy to hold in my smaller hands. While the S-Pen is convenient, it's not essential to me, and the upgraded internals should serve me well until my next upgrade. By then, 5G will be more widespread and have the kinks worked out as well.
You will be happy with the S10+. Did the fingerprint scanner work good for you, it works good for me, but apparently that's hit and miss.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
You will be happy with the S10+. Did the fingerprint scanner work good for you, it works good for me, but apparently that's hit and miss.

I don't have the phone yet, but as far as the fingerprint scanner, I saw an interesting video on YouTube where the person scanned his print by alternating his fingers on each hand. For instance, you'd scan your right thumb, then left, then right, then left, until you reached 100% scanned. That would equal one finger. You keep alternating both thumbs four times, or alternate both thumbs and both index fingers twice each. Whichever finger you're comfortable with, you alternate for each scan. This way, all fingers are scanned from all angles, which helps with accuracy.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Improvements is a loose term. What you think are minimal improvements, others think are great improvements. The OP is coming from a older phone, so to them the improvements of either note 9 or S10 will be a decent improvement.

So, OP,... Did you decide on one yet, or going to wait for the note 10 to be announced for official pricing and specs? Just curious what you decided.

Very true. Personally, the internal hardware is the only improvement in the S10 series. The screen, fps, punch, and charging gimmick are all negatives for me.

And by screen, I mostly mean the bezel and punch. I have managed to get my first screen crack in a decade in the Note 9, in part because I keep dropping it while trying to avoid accidental screen touches. Something to think about.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Very true. Personally, the internal hardware is the only improvement in the S10 series. The screen, fps, punch, and charging gimmick are all negatives for me.

And by screen, I mostly mean the bezel and punch. I have managed to get my first screen crack in a decade in the Note 9, in part because I keep dropping it while trying to avoid accidental screen touches. Something to think about.
Well the note 10 will have all of what you consider negative gimmicks and more. I don't consider them negative, in fact I prefer the FPS on the screen.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Well the note 10 will have all of what you consider negative gimmicks and more. I don't consider them negative, in fact I prefer the FPS on the screen.

I've used it before on a previous Galaxy phone. With a rear fps, I just have to pick my phone and go. With the front fps, it is less fluid, sometimes physically uncomfortable, and makes one handed use of my phone a rarity.

Of course, if they left the iris scanner in, then the phone would be more secure and I would be able to use it to work around the fps.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've used it before on a previous Galaxy phone. With a rear fps, I just have to pick my phone and go. With the front fps, it is less fluid, sometimes physically uncomfortable, and makes one handed use of my phone a rarity.

Of course, if they left the iris scanner in, then the phone would be more secure and I would be able to use it to work around the fps.
Everyone is different that's for sure. I used to love the fact the FPS was on the back, but now I'm liking the front. I register my thumb and index finger on both hands, I can unlock the phone one handed or if it's just sitting on the table with the FPS. I had to pick the phone up when it's on the rear. So for me, I've changed to liking it on the front.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the phone yet, but as far as the fingerprint scanner, I saw an interesting video on YouTube where the person scanned his print by alternating his fingers on each hand. For instance, you'd scan your right thumb, then left, then right, then left, until you reached 100% scanned. That would equal one finger. You keep alternating both thumbs four times, or alternate both thumbs and both index fingers twice each. Whichever finger you're comfortable with, you alternate for each scan. This way, all fingers are scanned from all angles, which helps with accuracy.

There's very little need to do that

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
The wife just bought an S10plus she likes it much better than the Note 9. I also own a Note 9. I must confess I do like its form factor and lightness. She also likes the cameras on the s10 plus.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is different that's for sure. I used to love the fact the FPS was on the back, but now I'm liking the front. I register my thumb and index finger on both hands, I can unlock the phone one handed or if it's just sitting on the table with the FPS. I had to pick the phone up when it's on the rear. So for me, I've changed to liking it on the front.

Been there before, didn't like it. It was less natural to unlock and significantly hindered the ability to use my phone with one hand. Wouldn't be much point to even try to do that on a Note 10

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Just one observation, build quality. The N9 is a tank compared to the s10+. Speakerphone resonates the whole back glass on the s10 series.
They have obviously cut corners to save money which is self evident with the universal chrome painted frame and thin panels.

anon(10598448)

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
I still have my Note 9 but I am not using it, nor do I plan on selling it. i like having different phones to switch between occasionally. I even use my Note 8 once in a while.

I really like the S10+ though, so much that I bought two, one for each of my lines. It's just super fast and solid.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Just one observation, build quality. The N9 is a tank compared to the s10+. Speakerphone resonates the whole back glass on the s10 series.
They have obviously cut corners to save money which is self evident with the universal chrome painted frame and thin panels.
Heavier and more bulky note 9 does not mean it's built better.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Bought my wife a Note 9 last year.

She has never had a note.
She sit down and coming from the S8+.
She really likes the note.
She used the stylus and if she goes somewhere and needs to write something down my doctor tells her
She pulls the stylus out and writes it down
It's saved to I believe her photos.
She really likes the 4000 ah battery.
She is very happy with the camera

Asked her if she wanted a newer phone.
She said she never wanted a note till she has used one since last year
The note 9 works great.
Does more than she could ever ask for.
She don't want a new phone.

Think you should weight your options.
On what all is in the toolbox for tools available to you.
Not what everybody else would do.
It's tough to go buy a phone and only have 15 days to use a phone
Only to find out
You would rather have bought a different phone .

Good Luck with your decision.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
None. Love my S10+ Battery champ, the new ultra wide camera and the flow of the UI is just solid. I'll get the new Note most likely but I love this phone.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Heavier and more bulky note 9 does not mean it's built better.
To a certain extent true, but the s10+ is no where as solidly built as compared to the note 9. Hell yeah sd855 in that tight frame even gets hotter than the sd845. What with the heat generation and resonating back glass with volume around 50% , I'd call corners cut by Samsung.