Throttled??

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I'm being throttled. I usually use about 5g a month on unlimited data.
Thinking bout switching carriers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Looks like those speeds were recorded on 3G. When Verizon throttles, do they switch from 4G to 3G, or do they just cut the speed of the 4G? Are you sure you just weren't in an area with poor 4G reception, or that 4G had cut out for other people as well?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if I'm being throttled. I usually use about 5g a month on unlimited data.
Thinking bout switching carriers.

I think a lot of 3G users are getting throttled or the equivalent there of. I use about 4GB/mo. I see speeds as low as .06mb and that's down and up. Depends on the time of day. Late at nite and early morning are best speeds for me in Central Oregon. I just wish 4G would get to this neck of the woods.
This said tho isn't Sprint the only non throttling carrier? I wouldn't trade Verizon for Sprint ever. Been there done that and they suck bad. Throttling is less annoying.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The grass is always greener on the other side, until you realize it was just someone barfing.:D

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's an article that addresses the issue:

Did you know Verizon also throttles unlimited data service? | Signal Strength - CNET News

It still says that it's only for 3G, so I'm not sure if Verizon is now starting to throttle 4G as well. Since you say that you're mostly on 3G at home, I'm guessing that you do fall under the throttling criteria (>2GB/month).

They have yet to announce any throttling on 4G.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was convinced I was being throttled the other week. I couldn't even load a 30 second video clip in under 4 or 5 minutes. So I did a soft reset by holding down power and volume down. After it rebooted, it's been great ever since.

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Why do you pictures show 2bars for signal on 3 g

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Photos I see show 4G LTE with 2 bars. Unless he changed the photos since original post that is similar to what I got.

moke

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
call in and ask a rep (even a billing rep) to see if the SFO for Data Optimization is on your line.

if it is, you are throttled. be ready for a little pushback or curiosity on your use/knowing inside industry term.

if not, then head over to a tech rep ... and DO NOT be calling from the phone you want to trouble shoot please.

jeromyraider

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
if 4g isn't closely available, invest 20$ in a WiFi router and enjoy your home internet speed and save gas driving for 4g. also sprint dosen't throttle so if there coverage is good in your area of daily doings i would consider flashing.

jd_jim

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like those speeds were recorded on 3G. When Verizon throttles, do they switch from 4G to 3G, or do they just cut the speed of the 4G? Are you sure you just weren't in an area with poor 4G reception, or that 4G had cut out for other people as well?