To those that owned the V20 since launch, how is your phone holding up?

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have loved this phone since I got it in November of 2016. I think the V10 had a bit more personality and it was trouble free for me, but the battery life and general quickness are better on the V20. It started getting image retention a few weeks ago that got worse and happened quicker after using the phone for a short time. The phone also started running hotter and battery life suffered. I got a replacement from Verizon and all is back to normal. I swear the camera is better and focusing quicker in low light situations on the replacement. We are switching to T-Mobile when the V30 is available, as they have a 55+ plan for $60 for two unlimited lines. I will either pay off the V20 and sell it or trade it in. I will miss the removable battery, but am excited to get the newest V.

Randy Ohio

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
As he said, if you are 55 or over, you get 2 lines unlimited for $60 all in. It's still not "T Mobile 1" though. You don't get Netflix. Still a remarkable deal. Max of 2 lines. We split our account into two, and my wife has two in her name now.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As he said, if you are 55 or over, you get 2 lines unlimited for $60 all in. It's still not "T Mobile 1" though. You don't get Netflix. Still a remarkable deal. Max of 2 lines. We split our account into two, and my wife has two in her name now.

T-Mobile and Metro PCS has some awesome deals (Metro is owned by T-Mobile, but speeds are deprioritized). A single prepaid plan on T-Mobile, $50 gets you 10GB of 4G LTE, unlimited talk/text WITH hotspot (AT&T has similar with no hotspot, probably slower). Recent studies show that Verizon is no longer the fastest, though they still have the best coverage. IMO T-Mobile has the fastest LTE network. AT&T throttles and Sprint is using old technology. Glad they are offering special discounts like that, they should offer more.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have loved this phone since I got it in November of 2016. I think the V10 had a bit more personality and it was trouble free for me, but the battery life and general quickness are better on the V20. It started getting image retention a few weeks ago that got worse and happened quicker after using the phone for a short time. The phone also started running hotter and battery life suffered. I got a replacement from Verizon and all is back to normal. I swear the camera is better and focusing quicker in low light situations on the replacement. We are switching to T-Mobile when the V30 is available, as they have a 55+ plan for $60 for two unlimited lines. I will either pay off the V20 and sell it or trade it in. I will miss the removable battery, but am excited to get the newest V.

I love the V series. Really liked the concept of the V10, a great alternative to Samsung. The V20 by far has to be my favorite phone. Great camera(s), lighting fast OS, amazing battery performance and reliable standby time (once you tweak it a bit), outstanding mic, stellar audio, durable build quality, etc... I will miss the removable battery too, the reason why I switched to LG. However, technology has improved and battery optimization is much better now so I am not too worried. Still keeping my V20 mainly as a back up and the option to change the battery. But I'm looking forward to what LG has in store for us. A truly innovative company. Watch out Samsung.

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile has what they call the Unlimited 55+ plan: 2 lines for 60 unlimited. New customers have to go in to a T-Mobile store and show ID that one person is 55 or older. I have been happy with Verizon, but will save a bunch, even with a new phone installment plan!

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
T-Mobile has what they call the Unlimited 55+ plan: 2 lines for 60 unlimited. New customers have to go in to a T-Mobile store and show ID that one person is 55 or older. I have been happy with Verizon, but will save a bunch, even with a new phone installment plan!

I have it and it's nice to spend about the same as I was for one line. I should mention that you have to set up autopay to get the deal. Finally, a perk for getting old!

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been exceedingly happy with my v20 over the past few weeks.

I couldn't see myself going back to a phone that doesn't offer me as much as as it does.

While technology is always moving forward, that surely doesn't mean that that it is for the better, and in the case of having removable batteries this is a fact.

While it seems that the masses aren't demanding a removable battery and would rather their phones be water resistant, doesn't change the fact that many people still prefer to have them or that it is still the fastest way to have a fully charged phone.

I've seen several trends happen lately that really aren't a true benefit to us consumers, but yet every tech writer claims to be what people really want, and it completely baffles me.

The LGV20 is in my humble opinion the last truly great phone and as long as it is usable will remain my daily driver.

Mac

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine has some pretty severe screen retention as of late so i think I'm gonna do a warranty swap before it runs out in a few weeks. Other than that it's been rock solid I'll keep it as a backup even if i move to something else.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine has some pretty severe screen retention as of late so i think I'm gonna do a warranty swap before it runs out in a few weeks. Other than that it's been rock solid I'll keep it as a backup even if i move to something else.

Weird, I've only experienced that once or twice. It's good to run a fast color cycling video (stuck pixel fixer on YouTube) it really helps reset the LCD screen. Run max brightness for 15 mins.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Weird, I've only experienced that once or twice. It's good to run a fast color cycling video (stuck pixel fixer on YouTube) it really helps reset the LCD screen. Run max brightness for 15 mins.

I've done that, but it's pretty much burn in at this point. The nav bar buttons are permanently there and any static images that are displayed for a few minutes are visible long after they're gone.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I've had my T-mobile H-918 since launch at it is still going strong. It's my daily driver and constant companion. I ported the Google Pixel camera and all my needs are met.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my T-mobile H-918 since launch at it is still going strong. It's my daily driver and constant companion. I ported the Google Pixel camera and all my needs are met.

Same here. Ever since I installed the Pixel 2 camera app, I'm pretty satisfied now with the phone overall. It's doing a great job and keeping me entertained with all the unique features, love the DAC, HQ 3 way microphone, removable battery, IR blaster, tap to wake, 2nd screen... this phone rocks!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've done that, but it's pretty much burn in at this point. The nav bar buttons are permanently there and any static images that are displayed for a few minutes are visible long after they're gone.

Weird, I've had mine for a year now. I have the nav buttons below and apps shortcut above. Nothing is burned in, maybe some slight image retention. Better than AMOLED trust me, those are expensive to replace and easy to burn in.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine's still great. I'm bored and would like to try something new but probably should just be content.

Same here. Been looking at other phones but then I would have to sacrifice features I love and already am used to on the V20. Huawei Mate 10? No headphone jack. OnePlus 5t? No MicroSD. Note 8? Costs $1000. Pixel 2 XL? All of the above.

SaltGuy

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
no issues here except one caused by a fierce drop 3 months ago. speaker phone can't be played without sounding terrible from 3/4 to full volume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54