To those with MIL-SPEC cases on your Note 9: Do you notice any signal interference?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
As someone who is prone to accidental drops, one of the things I consider when looking for a MIL-SPEC case is whether or not the case "chokes" my phone, thereby affecting its signal strength. This is along with having maximum protection on the sides as well as the top and bottom, regardless of having a screen protector installed, is very important to me.

I'm waiting for a price drop on the Note 9 to pull the trigger, but I'm looking at case options. These include the OtterBox Defender, LifeProof Next, Speck Presidio Grip, UAG Monarch, RhinoShield Solid Suit, ArmadilloTek Vanguard, Pelican Voyager, and the X-Doria Defense Lux.

Of these, the only case I have experience with is the Speck Grip case. I have the CandyShell Grip on my current Nexus 6P. While it definitely has saved my phone a number of times, the screen on the 6P is flat as opposed to the Note 9's curved display. Also, the rubber on the sides of the case has worn, to where I've had to tear a piece off one side, while it has warped on the other. So besides Speck, do any of you have experience with these cases? If so, do you notice any signal interference with them on your phones? Which of them has the maximum amount of side protection? If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to recommend. Thanks in advance!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the Defender, Armadillotek, Caseology Legion, and Samsung rugged case. I haven't noticed any signal problems.

For side protection the only one that's actually raised on the sides is the Armadillo case. The only thing I hate about it is the built in screen protector and the kickstand which when in use exposes the back of the phone some allowing dirt to get into it. Overall it's a good case.

The Defender almost is at the same level as the edges but is pretty thick so still gives decent protection and that's what I'm using right now.

The Samsung rugged case lips on the top and bottom are decent but terrible protection on the sides because it's rather low.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The test is to put a case into a microwave oven, along with a glass with a little water in it, and heat at full power for about 60 seconds, then open the oven and feel the case.

I only use Defender cases (warning - you can't drive over them with the phone in them - there's a possibility of damaging the phone), and I've never noticed any temperature rise from that test, saying that they're radio-transparent. I've never tested the belt clip, but you don't use the phone when it's in the clip anyway (the screen should face the clip), and my phone's rung and gotten texts and emails when in the clip, so that's probably radio-transparent too. (But I'm not melting a clip to prove that it isn't. And the spring may form a loop with the bar, which wouldn't be healthy for the magnetron.)

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The test is to put a case into a microwave oven, along with a glass with a little water in it, and heat at full power for about 60 seconds, then open the oven and feel the case.

I only use Defender cases (warning - you can't drive over them with the phone in them - there's a possibility of damaging the phone), and I've never noticed any temperature rise from that test, saying that they're radio-transparent. I've never tested the belt clip, but you don't use the phone when it's in the clip anyway (the screen should face the clip), and my phone's rung and gotten texts and emails when in the clip, so that's probably radio-transparent too. (But I'm not melting a clip to prove that it isn't. And the spring may form a loop with the bar, which wouldn't be healthy for the magnetron.)

Yea, Supcase on their youtube channel has a video of them driving over a phone with theri Unicorn Beetle case and the phone survives. Uh, I don't think I'll try that. How is it those test phones never break, but in daily life the phone still breaks in the case in a fall.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Although an uncomfortable case the only case with raised sides is the Ringke Wave. However,it's not a comfortable case to hold for long periods of time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Otterbox has sides raised above the screen level, if that's what you mean by "raised sides" - and it's a comfortable hold if the Note 9 is - it's a little large for "my fingers' taste".

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't consider those cases rugged as I do the Otterbox, UAG monarch, or Unicorn Beetle type rugged. Those are very high level rugged cases.
No maybe not but the Samsung offers MIL-STD 810G - 516.7 Certified Military Grade protection as the OP asked, don't think the Legion is as rugged though.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I use the UAG Plasma Ice on my iPhone X’s. I love the UAG line of cases so I would always recommend one of theirs. Their cases are protective yet stylish too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia