TOTALLY locked out of S6 by no fault of my own??

Superflu0us

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
OK Samsung and Android warriors - I desperately need your help on this one! It’s very concerning, as it could happen to anyone who owns a Samsung/Android.

(Too Long/Didn’t Read: 4 technical issues have happened at once, and the Samsung Store staff are trying to tell me there’s nothing I can do... other than wipe my phone).

OK, for whatever reason, my fingerprint reader on the S6 failed to unlock my phone the other day. This went on for most of the day. Eventually, it gives you the option of unlocking it using a Google account login, which successfully did indeed unlock my phone.

[Technical issue 1: Can you explain why my fingerprint scanner stopped working? The phone is less than 6 months old]

Once I got into my phone I naturally decided to change fingerprint to PIN. This would be the sensible option, after having spent some 8 hours unable to use the phone due to either a software issue or the sensor playing up.

I created a new pin *very carefully* - ensuring with 100% certainty that I don’t mistype it.

Then, I deliberately locked the phone, and went to unlock it using that pin.

Lo and behold, to my shock… it failed to recognise the PIN.

I can’t articulate how carefully I created this new PIN. It absolutely, categorically, matches the number I proceeded to enter and re-enter.

[Technical issue 2: Why didn’t that newly created pin get recognised?]

I know the temptation is to believe that I was careless when setting my pin, but why would I be - given I’d been locked out of my phone for hours just prior? (I recognise that that is what the store staff would want to believe, so they don’t have to confront the ugly fact that there’s an inexplicable reason as to why their pin codes aren’t working).

So then I’m like - OK, well I’ll just mistype it enough times, until it eventually does offer me the option to log-in with Google again.

But… this never happens.

I deliberately mistyped my PIN multiple times, but it never prompts me to log-in with Google (contrary to what previous forums suggest).

[Technical issue 3: Why didn’t it prompt me to log-in with Google e-mail credentials?]

So, then I try to log in using Google’s Android Device Manager online.

This sounds promising, because the Android Device Manager does indeed locate my phone. It then gives me the option to enter a temporary password, which is great. Then, on my phone, I can see that a temporary password has been applied.

But… again, to my dismay, there’s no password field to enter the temporary password. There’s only a PIN field.

So I go back to Android Device Manager and change the password to a numerical password, like a PIN.

This… sadly… fails to unlock to phone, still.

It appears the Android Device Manger may be held “behind the gates” of the PIN lock system, which I continue to be at the mercy of. That’s just a guess though.

[Technical issue 4: Why isn’t the Android Device Manager creating a usable password that the phone recognises - or why isn’t the phone giving me a field to type the password I just created? Or, why is the Android Device Manager newly set password being held behind the gates of the PIN lock?]

My exasperation only worsened when I took the phone into a Samsung store.

They had a look, then eventually said “unless you have a Samsung “Find my mobile” account, which you would have had to create before using the phone, we can’t help you - you will have to wipe your phone”.

Oh, and then they tried to charge me $55 to wipe my phone. Obviously, I’m not going to resort to this just yet, so I left the store.

I don’t recall creating a Samsung account - though I would have done so if properly advised of its benefits earlier (especially in relation to the ineptitude of the all other phone-unlocking options). Either way, searching for my “Find my mobile” credentials failed to yield any fruit - so that option also proved impotent.

For now, all I can do is use another device, while hoping someone out there has suggestions that might help.

Anyway I don’t want my negative experience to have happened in vain, so, if you have a Samsung/Android phone, my advice is two things:

1) Create a Samsung account NOW, and ensure “find my mobile” is functional.

2) DON’T change your phone to PIN mode, as you apparently surrender your ability to unlock your phone using your Google credentials, which is dangerous.

The sad part is this could happen to anyone. I didn’t forget my PIN, my fingerprint didn’t change (to my knowledge, haha).

It looks like I’ve been caught in at the intersection of 4 different technical issues - none of which should have happened - but that doesn’t mean I should have to erase my entire phone. The sense I get is that there’s something inherently wrong with this process/protocol/system.

I doubt I could be the only person affected. Hopefully soon, someone recognises this is quite possibly a systemic issue which threatens to become widespread - so the issue can be rectified.

After 4 different iPhones, this is my first Samsung/Android experience. I’ve loved using the phone, but for this to happen after just 6 months is definitely not fun. Especially when the store tells you should wipe your phone, then tries to charge you! It’s really frustrating when you’re trying to explain there’s a genuine problem, and you get a strong sense they simply think you’re a careless dingbat who forgot their PIN - which is absolutely not the case.

Please let me know if you have any ideas for potential avenues I might be able to pursue. Please also let me know if something similar has happened to you. Cheers!

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Well, sure is a long complain xD. At this state, i recommend you to do a factory reset. You dont need to dish $55 for a reset. Thats INSANE. All you need to do is connect your phone to a PC. Download samsung smart switch at your PC. Then do a full backup of your phone from smartswitch. After finish backing up, do a factory reset then restore your data back again from smart switch. Your phone might have a bad android install and a factory reset can fix it.

But try this before a wipe, go to settings > lock screen&security > other security settings > clear credentials.

I hope you can fix your phone.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Superflu0us

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Well, sure is a long complain xD. At this state, i recommend you to do a factory reset. You dont need to dish $55 for a reset. Thats INSANE. All you need to do is connect your phone to a PC. Download samsung smart switch at your PC. Then do a full backup of your phone from smartswitch. After finish backing up, do a factory reset then restore your data back again from smart switch. Your phone might have a bad android install and a factory reset can fix it.

But try this before a wipe, go to settings > lock screen&security > other security settings > clear credentials.

I hope you can fix your phone.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Hey Tech-Newb, thanks for taking the time to respond! I'll keep that in mind, but at this point I'm still hoping Android or Samsung will create a workaround (or fix the "Android Device Manager" glitch) - or that other S6 users who have experienced the same issues will come forward. Aside from the fact that I think it's a bit unfair to have to erase a phone due to systemic issues, I'd hate to erase everything on the phone... then a few weeks later hear of someone else having been in my position, who found a way around it! I'm still a bit in shock with regard to how all four issues could somehow occur at the very same time, and part of me is convinced I can't be the only one. Let me know if you have any further thoughts or suggestions - and thanks again!

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, well,

I did the exact same thing today after my finger scanner became a bit erratic, now the new PIN won't work, screwed

Rick

Eduardo Gutierrez4

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Well, well,

I did the exact same thing today after my finger scanner became a bit erratic, now the new PIN won't work, screwed

Rick

Hey Tech-Newb, thanks for taking the time to respond! I'll keep that in mind, but at this point I'm still hoping Android or Samsung will create a workaround (or fix the "Android Device Manager" glitch) - or that other S6 users who have experienced the same issues will come forward. Aside from the fact that I think it's a bit unfair to have to erase a phone due to systemic issues, I'd hate to erase everything on the phone... then a few weeks later hear of someone else having been in my position, who found a way around it! I'm still a bit in shock with regard to how all four issues could somehow occur at the very same time, and part of me is convinced I can't be the only one. Let me know if you have any further thoughts or suggestions - and thanks again!

hello has anyone found the solution to this problem

Last edited by a moderator:

mzroboto

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
The same thing has happened with my moto z play. I'm at a loss. It's been yearss since this was posted but curious if anyone else has found a fix. I'm about to go back to iPhones.

JasonBT

Jul 11, 2018
Visit site
Heard this issue from alot of people......been facing it myself.....I have just one solution and that is to flash it completely...