Trading in your phone to Google is a total SCAM

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So Google is a total scam when it comes to trading in your phone. I took advantage of trading in my LG G6 and got an estimated value of $220. Of course when they assessed the phone they said it was worth $44 because I didn't factory reset my phone. I took video of me factory reseting the phone, so when I opened up a dispute I sent that video. Of course it took them 4 weeks to finally say that I did reset the phone and that I get the full value of $220. So they gave me a Google Store credit of $176 and will not apply that amount to the Google finance of the phone. I have called muliplie times they say they can't credit that amount towards my phone. So in order for me to get the credit amount that I should have gotten in the first place, I need to buy a product that I don't want or need.

Does anyone know how to get this resolved???

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
They're correct that Google Store credit cannot be used to make payment on the Synchrony Bank financing account. One thing you could do is order something worth about $176 and then sell it when it arrives, just don't open the box, etc. so it's brand new in unopened box. Then use that money to lower the balance on your financing account.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Man that sucks, I'd heard there were issues with them so I purposely didn't trade in my G6. I'm just going to put it on Swappa and sell it outright then use the cash for something else. Lesson learned right?

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's extremely unfortunate. You must keep in mind that trade-in programs are always intended to benefit the firm, not the consumer. You are better off selling your previous device second-hand, and then applying that cash to your next purchase.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've learned my lesson. Unfortunately, I did the same thing with my wife's phone and I am waiting on getting the credit on her phone. If they do the same thing I may never buy another thing from Google. It sucks becuase I absolutely love the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happens with cars. If you trade in a car, you get $X off the price. If you bargain hard, you can get the same car with the same options for the same price - then sell your car for additional money.

Trade-ins have been a scam since some con man invented the concept. You'll almost never get as much for a trade-in as for a straight sale, and you could have gotten that discount without the trade-in in most cases (not with cellphones, of course).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So Google is a total scam when it comes to trading in your phone. I took advantage of trading in my LG G6 and got an estimated value of $220. Of course when they assessed the phone they said it was worth $44 because I didn't factory reset my phone. I took video of me factory reseting the phone, so when I opened up a dispute I sent that video. Of course it took them 4 weeks to finally say that I did reset the phone and that I get the full value of $220. So they gave me a Google Store credit of $176 and will not apply that amount to the Google finance of the phone. I have called muliplie times they say they can't credit that amount towards my phone. So in order for me to get the credit amount that I should have gotten in the first place, I need to buy a product that I don't want or need.

Does anyone know how to get this resolved???

Correct --- Store credit is what Google said they would give. Store Credit and financing are two separate things. That is why you had to agree with the bank that does the financing when you signed up for financing the phone and not Google.

This is standard operating procedure for most financing things.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Correct --- Store credit is what Google said they would give. Store Credit and financing are two separate things. That is why you had to agree with the bank that does the financing when you signed up for financing the phone and not Google.

This is standard operating procedure for most financing things.

I think the trade ins are also processed in most cases by a third party

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the trade ins are also processed in most cases by a third party

They may be. Not sure on that one. Either way Google stated the trade in would be for store credit. Just like carriers say the trade-in for old phones will usually be discounted from your bill over 24 months.

They show in big letters "Get $300!" which is true but .. over 24 months. Since Google isn't a carrier (unless using Fi) they give it in the value of Store Credit.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They may be. Not sure on that one. Either way Google stated the trade in would be for store credit. Just like carriers say the trade-in for old phones will usually be discounted from your bill over 24 months.

They show in big letters "Get $300!" which is true but .. over 24 months. Since Google isn't a carrier (unless using Fi) they give it in the value of Store Credit.

Selling it on Swappa is usually a better alternative

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure as hell ain't gonna do it again, but Google/Project Fi eventually came through with the $138 they didn't give me in October for my 6P. Mind you it took 5 months of whining and shaming them on reddit, but at least we're pals again. I'm just never letting them near my toys, I don't care how much they cry!

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, this is discouraging. I thought my trade in was supposed to be applied to my credit card since I bought it outright. Can't wait to see how this pans out for me. (Just shipped it last week, so they haven't received it yet.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is discouraging. I thought my trade in was supposed to be applied to my credit card since I bought it outright. Can't wait to see how this pans out for me. (Just shipped it last week, so they haven't received it yet.)

Take a look at the agreement

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What bothers me is that they said the reason I didn't get the amount was that it wasn't factory reset, which is just wrong. I would have been ok with them saying they can't pay me the amount because of a a scratch or a dent but not factory reset, please. I emailed the person handling my dispute the video I had of me factory resetting the phone, and of course they then gave me the full amount but took a month to come to that decision.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What bothers me is that they said the reason I didn't get the amount was that it wasn't factory reset, which is just wrong. I would have been ok with them saying they can't pay me the amount because of a a scratch or a dent but not factory reset, please. I emailed the person handling my dispute the video I had of me factory resetting the phone, and of course they then gave me the full amount but took a month to come to that decision.

It was probably what the third party handling the trade ins told them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards