Question Transfer thousands of pictures from Moto G to PC

French_guy

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello
I'm looking for a new phone for my wife. But before, I want to transfer all the photos from her current Moto G stylus (2020) to a PC
She has a HUGE amount of pictures (close to 9,000) and every time I start transferring to a PC, sooner or later I will have an error such as "not responding" or something like that
What is the best way to successfully transfer ALL the pictures without any errors that stop the process?
I also tried to transfer from the internal memory to the SD card, but the process stopped somehow as well

Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It may be best to do this in smaller batches, transferring only a few folders at a time. Long term, you may want to consider a backup service, which you could let things upload in the background automatically, then simply download them to the next device. This could take longer and requires more setup, but you get redundancy of the backup plus a more hands off approach during the transfers.

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
I transferred 5000+ highish res pics and videos 3 days ago over USB.
I was amazed how quick it was and no fumbles. A few minutes tops.

I let Windows 10 put it in the folder it suggested, I forget what at the moment.

It does work. My newish Dell pc (don't scoff!) has only a 1tb hard disk that's mostly empty but is pretty fast compared to the very old laptop I still use for most things.

It was probably a higher speed blue usb port I connected to rather than another two slower ones alongside on the front panel I use for the keyboard and mouse. Again I didn't look.

Were you using a usb cable and selected photo transfer like I did rather than media?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

French_guy

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I transferred 5000+ highish res pics and videos 3 days ago over USB.
I was amazed how quick it was and no fumbles. A few minutes tops.

I let Windows 10 put it in the folder it suggested, I forget what at the moment.

It does work. My newish Dell pc (don't scoff!) has only a 1tb hard disk that's mostly empty but is pretty fast compared to the very old laptop I still use for most things.

It was probably a higher speed blue usb port I connected to rather than another two slower ones alongside on the front panel I use for the keyboard and mouse. Again I didn't look.

Were you using a usb cable and selected photo transfer like I did rather than media?
I don't recall.....when I plugged the phone's USB cable to my PC, I had to select the USB mode to "Transfer", but don't recall if I could choose between Media or Photo. I will have to check again
But anyway, when Explorer was ready (it takes time with so many pics) I did ctrl+c / crtl+v....and sooner or later, it will "crash"
So next time I will look at the Transfer option. But I will also try to copy smaller batches as well (ctr+x / ctrl+v)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
(ctr+x / ctrl+v)

Don't use this, use the copy command. If you use the cut command, and something goes wrong again, there is a high likelyhood you'll lose the files permanently. Always copy and paste, then verify the transfer completed properly before deleting the originals (if you so choose). The cut command effectively deletes the original file, holding it only in memory until pasted. If anything goes wrong that interrupts the process, the original is gone and unlikely to be recovered.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
^ if doing so, I believe the below is still relevant. You can buy a $1.99 plan for original resolution.

First thing's first, let's see what Google has to say about both quality settings:

High quality:
*these are the new terms active from June 1st, 2021

All photos uploaded before June 1st, 2021 don't count towards your 15GB free Google account storage limit

All photos uploaded after June 1st, 2021 DO count towards your 15GB free Google account storage

Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16 MP, it will be resized to 16 MP.

Videos higher than 1080p will be resized to high-definition 1080p. A video with 1080p or less will look close to the original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12