Transformer Prime and External Harddrive for Photography Use

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello All!

I am looking into getting the Transformer Prime and was wondering if I could do this.

Get a CF Card reader to dump pictures directly from the Card -> External Harddrive through the TFP

Thanks!

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have hooked up a USB powered external hard drive to the USB port on my keyboard dock and it worked great. I haven't tried a CF Card reader but with my experience with hooking external hard drives up to the Prime I would expect that to work also.

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Where did you hear of the tethered one and the other apps??? That would be amazing.

Only problem is this usb kit only has 1 usb plug :( I would need 2 to get the dumping directly from card to hd

uglyyeti

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You need either the doc or the usb 2.0 tablet kit. The usb adapter is backordered everywhere right now, but that's my plan.

Does anyone know if you can plug a small usb hub into the asus usb kit? That would give you the extra port. I also just saw a multi-card reader online that had a pass-through USB on the front - that might work.

I have a usb kit on the way - should be here by Wednesday.

delorean7

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It should be able to copy direct from CF to external disk but... I can confirm i can simultaneously import pics (to internal storage TFP) and copy files from an external usb disk. The daft thing just wont give me an interface to copy directly from cam to disk. And yes you need a powered usb hub to connect that setup.

Can someone try who has it rooted to find the cam mountpoint?

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has figure out a way to have a card reader + hd on it at the same time and move the photographs from Card to HD directly or if this is even possible?

Sherlockbonz_1

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
How about getting an SD to CF adapter (search on Amazon, about $20) then use the Asus keyboard/dock. This allows you to use SD cards in your camera. I copy directly from SD card to a 1Tb HDD connected to my Prime and it works great.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
How about getting an SD to CF adapter (search on Amazon, about $20) then use the Asus keyboard/dock. This allows you to use SD cards in your camera. I copy directly from SD card to a 1Tb HDD connected to my Prime and it works great.

Please post pictures of the adapter.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

rawdeadfish

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
i use a sandisk micro mate and it works great, but it is only for SD cards, not CF cards.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't read CF either, but, you don't need an adapter for it, like the one in the picture. Does both full size and micro SD. I actually have one, works great. Cheap too.

Amazon.com: Transcend P5 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader TS-RDP5K (Black): Electronics

Except for the fact that it plugs into a USB... With the prime, that is where the external hard drive will plug into. Unless it can take a USB hub and still read files on two storage devices, i.e. CF card to dump files onto external hard drive.

i use a sandisk micro mate and it works great, but it is only for SD cards, not CF cards.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I was only stating that that card reader is better than the one mentioned. That one needed an adapter, and, the one I posted is better. That's it.

Well, can't you just dump the files onto the Prime temporarily and then move them? It's not direct, but, would solve the problem, no?

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I was only stating that that card reader is better than the one mentioned. That one needed an adapter, and, the one I posted is better. That's it.

Well, can't you just dump the files onto the Prime temporarily and then move them? It's not direct, but, would solve the problem, no?

Not when I shoot 64gig a day when on the road.
I'm seriously thinking about one of the new CloudFTP... But I read it is super slow.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, it would still work, it would just be cumbersome.

Does the power port only let the Prime be mounted? Or would it take a device as input and let it be mounted? If so, with the dock it might work.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, it would still work, it would just be cumbersome.

Does the power port only let the Prime be mounted? Or would it take a device as input and let it be mounted? If so, with the dock it might work.

Either the card reader or the hard drive would be connected to the primes USB. The prime would connect to the CloudFTP via wifi and then another USB device can plug into the CloudFTP. I would of course rather plug both the card reader and the external hard drive directly into the transformer prime... But was told you couldn't do that.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I got that. What I'm saying is, if you have the dock, is it possible to mount a device on the Prime VIA the charging port? Or does it only work the other way around? If this is possible and you have a dock, you could mount the HD VIA the power port on the dock, and, your card reader VIA the USB port on the dock.

I don't have any device that could test this on hand, or, I would. But, it's worthwhile to investigate I'd say.