Trusted Bluetooth Devices

m_rex

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone receive their Gecko yet? Interested in hearing some reviews before pulling the trigger.

Posted via Android Central App

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone receive their Gecko yet? Interested in hearing some reviews before pulling the trigger.
They just posted an update on their indiegogo site that said they encountered a problem with high battery drain on some units so they stopped shipments to fix it. I know a lot of people are upset about the delays but I'm glad they're fixing stuff and making it right before they ship them.

Charles Az

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If anyone is looking for a new device to try, I'd recommend the sticknfind tag, its on groupon now for $15.

Bluetooth Object-Location Tracker. Free Returns.

The one listed on groupon is a knock-off, but the tag I got in the mail says sticknfind on it, and it works with the sticknfind app (the Samsung version for some reason). It has a replaceable battery that lasts up to a year, and you do not need the app installed to use it as a trusted device.

I've only had it a couple hours now, so I can't say much about its reliability, but it paired easily, can be used as a trusted device, and it was only 15 bucks. I'm not running kitkat yet (need to find the time to root first) so that may cause some problems. I'll post an update in a few days once I've had some time to test it out.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Groupon deal sold out already, but sounds interesting. Curious about battery drain and if it will work with the kitkat update, which broke my wonderfully useful CobraTag's ability to be used with the Maxx.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The update just released seems to have fixed the Bluetooth for the Cobra Tag. I haven't received a drop-out on my Cobra Tag all day, which would drop out randomly a half dozen or more times per day after the last update.

Looks like it will be suitable as a trusted BT device again.

P-raggles

May 18, 2014
Visit site
So I got this Sony Smartwatch 2 for my b'day and I really have not had much excuse to wear it. Now that I know about this feature I think I will start wearing it all the time! What a great surprise to discover this handy feature...and that it is a Moto exclusive! My purchase just keeps getting validated....

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
So is there a near consensus best or favorite bluetooth device everyone is using now? It's been a few months since anyone's posted in this thread.

Gregory Caravelli

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd be curious to know whether Motorola's latest Power Pack Micro works as a trusted BT device, and if so, how reliable it is. For me, this feature would be the most compelling reason to get it.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Waiting for news on the Gecko. Looks hands down like the right one...don't even know if it exists yet.

I've not heard anything about my Gecko in the last 6 months at least. Last kickstarter I do. I'm 2 for 5 and the products I did receive are crap.

I'm really waiting for Moto's new Skip keyfob that was reported on a few weeks ago. Hoping they've optimized to work correctly.

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I've not heard anything about my Gecko in the last 6 months at least. Last kickstarter I do. I'm 2 for 5 and the products I did receive are crap.
They are still regularly posting updates to their indiegogo activity page here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gecko-make-your-smart-phone-smarter#activity
They have been way slower than I expected on these, but it's encouraging that they're committed to shipping a quality product instead of just kicking out what they had. I missed the campaign deadline but still got the same price on a pre-order, but that just means I'm even farther down the list to get mine.
I'm really waiting for Moto's new Skip keyfob that was reported on a few weeks ago. Hoping they've optimized to work correctly.
This is really cool. I'm wondering why Moto didn't have this last year, given that they supported Trusted Bluetooth then. Way more convenient than the NFC tag (I rarely used mine, and it got lost somewhere at a customer's site).

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed the Motorola Connect app was updated with support for the power pack micro. Maybe it works with that update? If not, that's pretty lame.
No, it still doesn't work.

To be a trusted device you have to pair with it, and the Micro doesn't give you the pairing PIN.

I just tried again.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Got my Gecko today. I installed the app and got it paired with the tag (that was a bit of a pain as the battery it shipped with was dead). The find my tag works. And it sounds an alarm if I walk too far away with the tag or phone. All the app functions seem to work.

I cannot, however, figure out any way to get the tag to work as a trusted device. There is no way to pair it with the phone (other than through the app) so it doesn't show up in the list of bluetooth devices.

Still hoping the Motorola skip fob will be released and work. Given they added this feature with the 2013 droids and X, it's a shame they haven't provided a good working solution.

DroidTurbo1

Banned
Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Got my power pack micro today (black canvas). Easy pairing with Turbo thru Moto Connect app and it works flawless for BT trusted device thru app. It has excellent reverse location of either the Turbo or the PPM with audible ping as well as GPS location in app. (Requires High Accuracy location turned on)

This thing was a lot smaller than I expected, just a little bigger than a box of matches. It is well built and is easy to use with its single button operation and notification light. Don't forget it charges up any Micro USB device with 1500mah and can last a full month after its battery is drained to still locate your phone.

Moto makes things simple, durable elegant and functional. Highly recommend for all the features at just $40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisnan