Trying to use an external mic

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the S9 and I am trying to use an external mic and patch cable to record directly from a keyboard to my S9. But the sound seems to be recroding from the internal mic because when I talk my voice is recorded over the keyboard sounds. I thought a direct connection wouldn't pick up other sounds.

I am using a TRRS Y splitter from StarTech, two patch cables, and a 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 x 3.5mm Stereo Jack Splitter Adaptor.

I have the Stereo Plug Jack Splitter plugged into the keyboard earphone output jack.
I have the two patch cables plugged into the Jack.
One patch cable goes to the Bluetooth speaker so I can hear the keyboard.
The other patch cable is plugged into the microphone marked jack of the TRRS splitter.
And last the end of the TRRS splitter is plugged into the earphone jack of my phone.

This arrangement doesn't seem to be working, or if it is, the internal mic on the phone is still picking up exterior noises such as my voice.

For what its worth, when I plug the TRRS adaptor into my phone I do not get notification that a device has been connected in my notifcation bar. I was watching some Youtube videos and it seems this should happen.

Can anyone help me to figure this out? All I want to be able to do is to record directly from my keyboard to my S9 without outside noise. Oh, and I have also tried using a mic plugged into my phone and not connected directly to the keyboard. Same thing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does the app you're using support line-in recording? If it doesn't, then it's always going to use the internal microphone. If it does (you can test it by plugging in your included headset; if the recording is done with the headset mic instead of the phone one, then you're good) but it still doesn't pick up the keyboard, then either the cable pinout of the splitter is wrong (not sure what the pinout should be, though) or the impedance after connecting to both speaker and phone is throwing the input off so the phone doesn't 'detect' that you connected a line-in. Again, if the app supports line-in input, try connecting just the keyboard to the phone. I've never used line-in but since audio output selection does show up in the notification bar, check if the same applies to audio input and maybe you can select the recording source.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the TRRS adapter is for iPhones, it won't work on Android phones - they're wired differently. If you understand electronic, you can wire up your own TRS to TRRS adapter for Android (Android schematics are all over the web - mic+ is the shell, mic- is the first ring up from the shell - look at post #6 in this thread.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali