Turning off Ambient Display when sleeping

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way that I can turn off ambient display from say 10pm to 6am or something so when I'm sleeping it doesn't use battery?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You could try Tasker App and see if there's something in display settings that could be set up. I have a feeling disabling AOD isn't there but I'm not sure. Have you tried running with it off at night to see if it makes that much of a difference?

RStock521

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I was just coming on here to see if there's a way to turn on Ambient Display when on the charger. I have a Qi charging pad on my desk at work, and it'd be nice to be able to just glance over to see if I have any notifications. But I don't need Ambient Display to be on while it's in my pocket while walking around.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Use the Pixel Stand. It will let you do some other things like picture frame that you can't do without it. One of the setting is that it can automatically turn off the screen when you turn off the light to sleep.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
in the pocket or laying your phone down on the screen side turns ambient light/ AOD off other then that no schedule

henderjr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can have a quick setting to turn AOD on/off using the Tiles app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rascarlo.quick.settings.tiles

Can also be done via tasker and without root thanks to a recent update.

Both ways will need a PC to grant secure settings access using ADB.

See screenshots of Tiles and Tasker here

Both apps will direct you to the command you'll need to run on your PC using ADB

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Nobody should buy this phone if they're looking for a "feature rich" device.

That's why I like pixels..... there's a difference between "feature rich" and "feature heavy". I like pure Android because it does everything I need without a heavy, complicated, cumbersome skin over it. I want my phone to work smoothly and dependably, with a clean quick interface without a ton of bloat, or overly heavy skin with a bunch of settings I'll never use. But that's just me ;-)

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
That's why I like pixels..... there's a difference between "feature rich" and "feature heavy". I like pure Android because it does everything I need without a heavy, complicated, cumbersome skin over it. I want my phone to work smoothly and dependably, with a clean quick interface without a ton of bloat, or overly heavy skin with a bunch of settings I'll never use. But that's just me ;-)

Good post. I'm with you on this.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yup, at night I just put it face down and the ambient goes off.

I just found this thread after realizing that ambient display was using 10% of my battery today. 10%! I used to brush off the idea of turning off ambient display to save battery. 10%! I was surprised.

Ok - so put face down when I don't need it. I wish there was a built-in timeframe setting.

In any case, I use it all the time but it's good to know how to disable it easily.