Turns off immediately after screen unlock(issue about a 3rd party battery)

redscandal

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
As my Note 10.1(2014) is nearly 3 years old, I was experiencing problems on decreased battery life. However, after purchasing and connecting a new battery(a 3rd party one, of course) a strange issue came out. Here's the scenario:
After pressing the power button:
1)"Samsung galaxy note 10.1" text appears
2) Samsung boot animation appears
3) Lock screen shows up: device appers to be turned on properly
BUT:
When I draw the correct pattern to unlock the device, it suddenly turns off(not only a black screen, but also an abnormal shutdown occurs that the device can't be turned on back without connecting to the charger)

*Nothing wrong with the touch panel, if I draw a wrong pattern(ie. if I don't trigger the screen unlock process) the sudden shutdown won't happen.

*Device works perfectly with the old(original) battery. I guess the new 3rd party battery is responsible for the issue, but haven't found a logical explanation on why this happens...

**As you will probably know, these tablet batteries come with a 6-pin connector which has a pair of red, a pair of black and a pair of blue(or sometimes green) wires.

I guess those blue cables are like the "BSI" pin on cell phone batteries, so the new 3rd party battery has something wrong with those cables or the pcb which those cables come from?

EDIT: Charging process is all OK using both the original and the 3rd party battery.
Problematic behavior is triggered by screen unlock.

I need your valuable experiences and ideas! Thanks a lot :)

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
First thing you need to check:
Does your tablet charge with the new battery ? Press the HOME button, the green battery icon should show up

I wonder why you buy third party battery when the new OEM is only around $15
LARRY JOHNSON signed autographed Hornets teal Jersey JSA Witness #WP255885 | eBay

Probably this connector has a loose connection,common seen in Samsung battery. I fix it by pushing the opening closer for six cables

z8t3ysov3vr364q6g.jpg

Manufacturer fix it by silver conductive glue

tio8h8ppeuq41p96g.jpg

Last edited:

redscandal

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Yes, it does charge properly with both two batteries. I can even use the lock screen widgets without having an issue. The only problem is when I unlock the device with the correct password/pattern. BTW, thanks a lot for your comprehensive reply. Those contacts seem to be OK but I'll try using a conductive paste or glue.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You can read this threat with more details, I don't want to repeat as the problem is the same in every Samsung tablets

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...screen-flickering-problems-5.html#post5182576

If has more than 200,000 read, an evidence of how popular this problem is in Samsung tablet.

However, the majority of problems come from battery connector on mainboard, also common problem of Samsung tablets. It needs to be resoldered to fix cracked solder joints. Most inexperienced users will look and say my connector is fine, however, it's not.
You can try to turn on while your thumb press directly on the connectors, it may close the gaps of cracks.
The white and black battery connectors are used almost in different Samsung tablets. The one has battery connector located at the center is the most one has cracked solder joints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaAKjmrMR2s

Last edited:

redscandal

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Actually I've read your messages on thread before. Will try all of your advices when I have enough time.
I'd really like to know what's the battery-dependent relation between the screen unlock, and the sudden shut down(tried many times to confirm it, it's not something random and definitely triggered by screen unlock). Even after reading tons of messages on this, still couldn't find a conceivable reason that satisfies my interest in electronics. All of these messages point to a bad connection but it'd be great if someone could explain it. What changes with the battery(power system), when screen is unlocked?

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
When I draw the correct pattern to unlock the device, it suddenly turns off(not only a black screen, but also an abnormal shutdown occurs that the device can't be turned on back without connecting to the charger
You should pay attention to this issue why it cannot turn on back without connecting to the charger ?
I have never seen unlock a tablet causing a shutdown unless it's a power issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts