Tutorial: How to find out soruce of Nexus 9 problems

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
Very often i see posts "my Nexus 9 is garbage, its slow/random reboots/unresponsive etc." but theres such posts too "im lucky mine works perfect". Whats the difference? I don't believe thats wide spread hardware defect because theres no rule. Different Production Dates don't make difference, it doesn't matter if tablet was bought 2014 or 2015, or colour. My idea is that something is going corrupt app, data or system. Or bad application. Mine was sudennly saw behaving strangely slow, self reboots without errors 4-5 times a day, high pitch unpleasant noises from speakers when watching Youtube. I tell you how i fixed it.

Trough "Settings - About Tablet - Send feedback about this device" i looked into various system logs. There was lots of errors. I downloaded Device Assistant from Google. After it detected that my device rebooted itself couple of times it recommended trying out "Safe Mode" on Nexus 9 for 3-5 days to see if this app or hardware problem. I tried it for 5 days, guess what no more reboots all problems gone, my Nexus 9 self resets, high noises when watching YouTube, unresponsiveness, lag! It's gone :) its over week without problems

Safe mode disable all non-google third party apps from running, background apps from running too. It's like safe mode on Windows, only necessary apps are to use YouTube, Gmail, Chrome. If problems gone (lag, resetting) then do factory reset without backup, do not restore any apps! install app manually from Play Store not from backup or trough setup wizard. Try to detect what app causes problems trough selective instalation/system or event logs. It helped mine Nexus 9

How to turn on "Safe Made"
Press and hold power button
pres and hold "power off" option with your finger till pop up comes "Reboot to Safe Mode"
then choose OK

Last edited:

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Good advice here! On a side note this not only applies to the Nexus 9, but all Nexus devices as the reboot to safe mode is a OS feature and not specific to one device.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
That is a good piece of info. It's not a panacea for all N9 (or any device) issues, but it's the second step when issues arise (reboot is the first step). With my N9 (no speaker issues but lag and reboots), it didn't help. I'd do complete factory resets (final step when all else fails) and on the later resets didn't add apps. Within four weeks, issues would return. I even ran DU with which others had success. Not here. The weirdest part is, Marshmallow seems to have fixed it. For some, MM turned their perfect device into a problem device. N9 is my 6th google device along with several other Android tablets. N9 had been the only true lemon in the bunch. Now, it's great. Even though we'd like to think that each device comes off a production run 100% equal to the others on the run, it doesn't happen. Fortunately, they all don't have to be 100% alike to be 100% functional. I'm glad yours is running well now. I'm really glad mine is because I thought it was washout. I hope others read your advice. It could save a lot of headaches.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet