AT&T Galaxy S8 Two s8's on att network, one received the android 9 update the other hasnt? Force update?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have two s8's on att prepaid. They are the same phone. About 1 month ago my phone received the android 9 update.

The other phone still shows no updates available.

Is there some way to force the update to this other phone?
Anyone have any ideas why its not pulling the update?

Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Updates are usually staged, and not all devices get it at the same time. However, if there IS an update available (if for some reason the update got pulled like Samsung has done a couple times with the Pie update, then it won't be) you can always try to use a computer to update it (via Smart Switch on a PC). Alternatively you can try a Best Buy with a Samsung Experience area and they can update it for you.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Updates are usually staged, and not all devices get it at the same time. However, if there IS an update available (if for some reason the update got pulled like Samsung has done a couple times with the Pie update, then it won't be) you can always try to use a computer to update it (via Smart Switch on a PC). Alternatively you can try a Best Buy with a Samsung Experience area and they can update it for you.

Thanks for the reply. I thought smart switch was only for transferring content? It can pull down the latest firmware/OS version as well?

Our phones are "unlocked" s8's in our case (on att prepaid).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I thought smart switch was only for transferring content? It can pull down the latest firmware/OS version as well?

Our phones are "unlocked" s8's in our case (on att prepaid).
Yes you can check smartswitch , hook up to your computer and make sure in settings of smartswitch >preference is enabled for latest download.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Yes you can check smartswitch , hook up to your computer and make sure in settings of smartswitch >preference is enabled for latest download.

I finally tried this and its saying the latest version is already installed with RB1 (att) and android 7 for some reason.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Could you also flash the update by simply putting it on the phone and running it ?
How you would flash it it by running Odin on the computer , putting all 4 files after being extracted and put the phone in download mode. Takes about 15 minutes.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
How you would flash it it by running Odin on the computer , putting all 4 files after being extracted and put the phone in download mode. Takes about 15 minutes.

I've not done the odin method in forever, i cant recall but does it wipe existing data doing it this way? I'm assuming i'd have to track down the actual update files somewhere first, connect the phone and run it?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've not done the odin method in forever, i cant recall but does it wipe existing data doing it this way? I'm assuming i'd have to track down the actual update files somewhere first, connect the phone and run it?
If you use home CSC instead the regular it shouldn't but back up everything just in case you never know.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45