Ugly Orange Messages in Lollipop - How do you change it?

amazondrone

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My GS4 just updated to Lollipop and that orange is ghastly! And there seem to be fewer choices in the stock texting app when it comes to customizing those colors. Dislike. This orange looks like a Dreamsicle, which are not tasty, IMO.

After watching the video above, I'm thinking it might be time to go to GS6....

These new color schemes and shapes make my phone look like a kid's toy, which is NOT a good thing, IMO.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the orange is bad, it is like neon orange.

I can't imagine anyone designing this and saying, "man that orange looks good".

My Samsung tech thought it was disgusting too.

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Synycalwon, I completely agree. I remember Kit Kat, where after it was installed on my SG4, half my apps stopped working because they lost the ability to write to the SD Card. If they made the O/S optional, and alerted you with a change log, like stating that some of your apps may not work after this because they will not be able to write to the SD Card, I would never have installed it. The way it is now, it's like the Wild Wild West, where anything goes with very little consumer/citizen oversight/protections.

Last edited:

BINNIEBug

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I was happy to see other people hate the Samsung orange. I took the suggestion of one of the posters and download ed message plus.I wish I had known about this months ago

happee2bmee

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Nobody likes it so why keep it? They should listen a little more to consumer. After all it's a personal choice - don't judge me but I have ordered a new phone. Not worth the annoying new changes. :p

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Yup, this is why I always disable the OTA updater when at all possible to take back control over this wild west mentality (as well as turn off auto-updating of apps in Google Play).
I do the same in the Play Store too -- but I remember with KitKat on my SG4, I had the option to turn off OTA auto-updating, but it looks like on Lollipop/Note 4, that option doesn't exist anymore, or at least, it's no longer obvious. I don't recall that the Note 4 w/Kit Kat had it or not, but the Lollipop version doesn't have that option (or it's hidden somewhere where I can't find it.) Anyways, I decided not to wait for Samsung any longer and decided to root my phone this week and manually setup the Theme Engine on my Note 4. Waiting for Samsung to do this, even if they do this, is one day too long. They should have released this with Lollipop update for Note 4 users.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that I love about android is that if I don't like something I have many other options to choose from. It's cool if you don't like the color scheme , but you're not forced to use the stock sms app. #ijs

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that I love about android is that if I don't like something I have many other options to choose from. It's cool if you don't like the color scheme , but you're not forced to use the stock sms app. #ijs

I like that, but I would prefer they just let us choose colors, much like Windows does on your computer.

Fedginator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
You will have to change to a new texting app. You might be able to find the previous texting apps apk on xda. But not always

Posted via the Android Central App

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I like that, but I would prefer they just let us choose colors, much like Windows does on your computer.

I agree and I totally understand that. I dislike the orange as well, but people are acting like they just have to sit and look at that orange. There are plenty of other options.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree and I totally understand that. I dislike the orange as well, but people are acting like they just have to sit and look at that orange. There are plenty of other options.

Right.. I don't pay much attention to it. It is very ugly, but it's my phone, not someone I'm married to lol

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
hahahaha, sitting here laughing at all the time we have all spent complaining about the background color of a messaging app, myself included.

#firstworldproblems

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
No matter what color they would have made the messaging app someone would hate it. You can't please everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No matter what color they would have made the messaging app someone would hate it. You can't please everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well of course, but orange is a very polarizing color and not a popular liked color.

Either you like orange or you hate it and it has no neutral properties in the color.

EdFromOhio

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It's amazing to me that there are 6 pages of chatter, but no mention of a solution other than installing a list of other messaging clients. There has to be a way to change the color...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing to me that there are 6 pages of chatter, but no mention of a solution other than installing a list of other messaging clients. There has to be a way to change the color...

There is no solution other than installing another messaging app.

You can not change the colors on the stock messaging app template.

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
There is a solution. Complain to Samsung. Tell them you want the SG6 Theme Engine on your Note 4. Officeofthepresident@sea.samsung.com or President@sta.samsung.com

No change will happen unless critical mass is reached to have Samsung do this, and that will take all of us writing to Samsung complaining about this and asking for the SG6 Theme Engine for the Note 4.

I wrote about this in a previous post in this thread. You can set any color you like with the SG6 Theme Engine, including the Messenger App. I'm pasting the details below:

SG6 Theme Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3MRU-SatY4

You'll see you can virtually apply any color you want (take a look at 2:18, you'll see the text messenger in green as an example the St. Patricks theme.)

I encourage any Note 4 user that wants this feature to contact that address and request that the SG6 Theme Engine be also pushed to Note 4 owners, we paid just as much money and it's also a current Flagship phone. If enough requests go to that Executive Support at Samsung, maybe they will not only listen, but actually do it -- I just hope they don't drag their feet if they do or that they won't do anything other than release it for the Note 5. It literally can be done now by copying the correct system files from the SG6 over to the Note 4, only you need is root access to do so.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz