Question unable to add second fingerprint

maplewood

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
After changing the screen protector on my Pixel 6 Pro I had to reset the fingerprint. I was able to add one but every time i try to add a second the app just keeps looping back to the screen that asks for my PIN. (which I dutifully enter correctly).

How do I get past that to add a second fingerprint.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Do you have screen protector mode turned on?
b95dc884983fef1003345794dde19c6e.jpg

Also, not all screen protectors are created equally. Cheep AliExpress ones aren't worth their price. Make sure you go with a reputable company.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What kind of screen protector are you using? Plastic, glass, ceramic?

Does the fingerprint reader unlock the device with just the one finger registered or does it struggle?

You say when you attempt to install another it loops back asking for the PIN, is this after it fails or as soon as you begin the attempt? Does it allow you to start the entry process or does it immediately fail and kick you back to the PIN entry screen?

While it may not be ideal, if everything was working and now is not and the only difference is the screen protector, it would seem that you need a new screen protector. A different brand, material or type. I've seen screen protectors that have a bumpy face, like orange peel, and ones with slightly matted finishes that could cause issues with how well an FPR could see through it, and obviously there would be nothing we could do to improve that. If there was a second protector I would say pull off the one, verify everything is working then attempt to reapply and check the results.

maplewood

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you have screen protector mode turned on?
b95dc884983fef1003345794dde19c6e.jpg

Also, not all screen protectors are created equally. Cheep AliExpress ones aren't worth their price. Make sure you go with a reputable company.

Screen protector was on, now it is off. No change in the behavior. I was able to add one fingerprint but not a second.

maplewood

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
What kind of screen protector are you using? Plastic, glass, ceramic?

Does the fingerprint reader unlock the device with just the one finger registered or does it struggle?

You say when you attempt to install another it loops back asking for the PIN, is this after it fails or as soon as you begin the attempt? Does it allow you to start the entry process or does it immediately fail and kick you back to the PIN entry screen?

While it may not be ideal, if everything was working and now is not and the only difference is the screen protector, it would seem that you need a new screen protector. A different brand, material or type. I've seen screen protectors that have a bumpy face, like orange peel, and ones with slightly matted finishes that could cause issues with how well an FPR could see through it, and obviously there would be nothing we could do to improve that. If there was a second protector I would say pull off the one, verify everything is working then attempt to reapply and check the results.
The screen protector is not the problem as I was able to add one fingerprint -- and that fingerprint does unlock the phone. I can't add a second fingerprint.

I can't get to the routine where you repeatedly press the sensor. the sequence is:
1. "Press "Add Fingerprint"
2. Enter PIN
3. phone reverts back to "Add Fingerprint"

4. Endless look of 1 - 3 .