Unable to connect LG G3 to PS3 via USB

rockbottomblue

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
When I plug in my LG G3 via USB cable to the PS3, it doesn't recognize it as a storage device so I can't transfer files. Anyone else having this issue and can help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The PS3 would have to be able to connect to an MTP device. From what I could tell on various Playstation forums, it looks like it doesn't have that feature. USB Mass Storage wouldn't be an option anyway, because most modern smartphones no longer connect that way (due to how the phone's storage is organized).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the S2 and phones from that era had a USB Mass Storage connection option. The main disadvantage of that was the need to divide Internal Storage into a small partition for app installation and a larger "internal SD" partition, which could be mounted to the computer like a hard drive, but this meant it would not be accessible by the phone during that time. This severely limited the size or number of apps you could install, due to the smaller size of the app installation partition. Around the time ICS came around, manufacturers started making the storage "unified," which gave you much more room to install apps, but didn't allow for USB Mass Storage. Instead, MTP allows you to see most user-accessible folders while still having the phone be able to access them as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mombai