Unbiased Slow Rolling User Review

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Good morning/afternoon/evening all!

Some of you may know me from the Epic 4G section, some may know me from the Nexus S 4G section and others might know me from the Epic 4G Touch sections :). So I have made my rounds on Android Central. The point of this thread is exactly as the title states. I will just basically be keeping a "blog" I guess you could call it. I figured everyone reads the reviews from the editors and bloggers and watches videos and such. And a friend of mine(Paul) stated I should start a review thread being I'm not biased and have owned a multitude of devices...and recently returned my LTEVO :p.

First things first....I don't regret returning the EVO one bit!! Not a bit. This device from opening the ups box to the elegant box it came in to powering it on and activating it so far has been amazing and no looking back for this guy. I don't need 14 days to decide! Actually I will but just to get all my quirks about the device out ;) Won't be returning it unless some weird unforseen circumstance makes it a must!

My two main concerns when returning the EVO for the gamble of my experience with the SGS3 was the "pentile" display and the oh so horrible rap that Samsung gets for the....wait for it....GPS radio! Well I am here to assure you that both are far from disappointing. I am excited by the fact that I got a GPS lock in my house without wifi or 3G data helping in under 10 seconds!! Holy crap!! Like really holy crap.

The display is outstanding! Some may say it doesn't rival the display of the EVO but to each his own. I am in love with the display! I owned a Photon so when I heard Pentile I freaked out lol. Nooooooo nooo pixelated images!! Well I have not noticed any as of yet. To me the display is great and I love it. I have my phone set to the highest brightness setting it can be on. On the EVO with it all the way up my battery still lasted me the whole day. So we shall see about how it stands up to my tests as did the EVO.

Well so far that is it for me for now. I will let my phone charge some more as when I got it it was only at 51% charged :p great for being sent from the warehouse but not so much for me to play with I'd kill it in a few hours lmao.

Activating gave me a hard time at first. I tried to activate it on my line using Sprint's website and it told me it couldn't find my phone by the code I provided. Now I entered it correctly multiple times until a chat window popped up and said want some help. Yes I do...lol. Only hiccup with my device as of now. Signed in with my google account and it prompted me to back up my account against the device I said yes and within minutes it downloaded a multitude of my apps I have on my Epic Touch.

So what can I say about this device with my hour or so spent with it. It's amazing! Everything you would expect it to be! Fast, gorgeous, light, just amazing. I hope those who have it or are getting it enjoy it as much as I am so far.

To cut down on confusion I will just be editing this post and maybe post #2 in this thread so it will be newcomer friendly so you don't have to search everywhere for my updates lol.
Thanks for reading :) Off to play with my phone :D

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Day 2:

Here are a few screenshots I took using the little palm swipe methods....which isn't as easy as It sounds lol

Grant it most of this was on WiFi but this is my world :p

b83a0db9-7988-82bb.jpg

b83a0db9-7996-9cba.jpg

And this is with brightness all the way up.
Today ill be talking my kids to a public sprinkler park so we shall see how it holds up outside off WiFi :)

So far I'm still very impressed with the device.
Quadrants are lower but about 100 but benchmarks aren't the end all be all.
One thing I'm still getting used to is the keyboard...can't use it like swype where after you finish typing s whole paragraph and click a word to change it. It doesn't bring up the list of words after you have moved on...
example: the and after in that sentence were three and steer. But once I clicked them after I was done with the whole sentence all I had to choose from where punctuations.

I will keep my updates coming if you guys ar e interested. Any questions or requests just let me know and I will do many best

Day 3 battery and screen time:
b83a0db9-6c8b-888b.jpg

b83a0db9-6c9c-82a8.jpg

b83a0db9-6ca8-3f6e.jpg

Ignore my signature about my market apps ;)

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Never seen you in the Epic 4G section.....sorry! Perhaps we can get acquainted in the Samsung Galaxy S3 threads!! My carrier is Sprint :D

carlos516x

May 11, 2012
Visit site
ZiggSeVO,

Thanks for your post. I also originally had the EVO 4G LTE and it was a beautiful and slick phone. I actually loved the feel and design of the EVO. The display was breathtaking. Super bright and sharp. You can see it perfectly even in direct sunlight. However, I returned it so that I have a chance to try the SG3. I'm glad you do not regret returning your EVO.

Can you compare and contrast the following based on your experience with the EVO 4G LTE?

1) How does the camera compare?

2) How does the display's brightness compare?

3) How does the speed compare?

4) I've read that an FM Radio app does not come preinstalled on the SG3. Can you download a third party app to verify if the FM Radio works?

5)How does gaming compare?

Reactions: Lucki

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
ZiggSeVO,

Thanks for your post. I also originally had the EVO 4G LTE and it was a beautiful and slick phone. I actually loved the feel and design of the EVO. The display was breathtaking. Super bright and sharp. You can see it perfectly even in direct sunlight. However, I returned it so that I have a chance to try the SG3. I'm glad you do not regret returning your EVO.

Can you compare and contrast the following based on your experience with the EVO 4G LTE?

1) How does the camera compare?

2) How does the display's brightness compare?

3) How does the speed compare?

4) I've read that an FM Radio app does not come preinstalled on the SG3. Can you download a third party app to verify if the FM Radio works?

5)How does gaming compare?

This will be short I'm sorry as I'm about to eat dinner

1. Love the camera. Check the picture stickie. Just posted some there.

2. Display is amazing I really love the way the colors pop on this thing. Haven't been outside yet.

3. Speed is noticeable. Trust me on that.

4. Nope there isn't an FM app. Name one and I will try it out as there are many in the market.

5. Which game would you like me to try also?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about if you have the same number of games that are unsupported (I too had an epic 4g touch...when I upgraded to Eco LTE I have a ludicrously large amount of games that won't load and some that cone up on the market as Unsupported device. I'm pissed for example...that I bought NOVA 3 and can't use it on my new phone despite it being able to crank out acceptable performance ( you right in the ear game loft)

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This has to come down to some sort of confusion in the device's footprint with the Google Play Store.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about if you have the same number of games that are unsupported (I too had an epic 4g touch...when I upgraded to Eco LTE I have a ludicrously large amount of games that won't load and some that cone up on the market as Unsupported device. I'm pissed for example...that I bought NOVA 3 and can't use it on my new phone despite it being able to crank out acceptable performance ( you right in the ear game loft)

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

Well nova 3 shows up in the market when I search for it

I'm agreeing with what Paul said. :p

dgene84

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if i am wrong but it was to my understanding that the phone DOES come with a FM app. Have seen maybe 6 you tube videos of people using it and how it works and how it only works with headphone and not via speaker? Is that not correct?

Ninjamonkeh

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I got gta3 off google play it was only .99 cents for a few hours . I can tell you this much , during the opening cut scene , you can flip the phone 180 degrees, and the game doesn't even pause in dialogue, just instantly renders the image. Havent tried any other games yet.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if i am wrong but it was to my understanding that the phone DOES come with a FM app. Have seen maybe 6 you tube videos of people using it and how it works and how it only works with headphone and not via speaker? Is that not correct?

I can't seem to find it in the app drawer anywhere .
Posting some screenshots of my first impressions on battery life.

Check post 2

Last edited:

mc7hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Brightness all the way up. Went to bed at 1:30 am was at 72% and got up at 9:30 at 59%.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Only the international version has the FM Radio app in the app drawer. For some reason the North American ones ax the fm radio more often than not.

gonzo2186

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
How's the radio? Cell reception? WiFi? Can we get a screenshot of signal strength? Samsung is somewhat notorious for being awful at this and I actually use my phone..as a phone sometimes haha.

Any other quirks you've noticed in the short amount of time you've had it?

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How's the radio? Cell reception? WiFi? Can we get a screenshot of signal strength? Samsung is somewhat notorious for being awful at this and I actually use my phone..as a phone sometimes haha.

Any other quirks you've noticed in the short amount of time you've had it?

Haven't noticed any quirks I haven't been able to change in the stock settings of the device. Cell reception is on par with the Epic touch. I have noticed better Wi-Fi and as stated amazingly better GPS.

But for me cell reception is great.

Edited post 2 with more battery stats from day 3