Underrated?

dlrogers81

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you feel that the M9 is underrated? I think it's an awesome device. I seriously have no complaints about it. It does everything that I need it to do very well, and never lags. I even get good shots with the camera.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :D

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you feel that the M9 is underrated? I think it's an awesome device. I seriously have no complaints about it. It does everything that I need it to do very well, and never lags. I even get good shots with the camera.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :D
I think after this update and all the other work they've done on this phone, its really nice now, and highly under rated. I'm gonna be very happy...until the M-10 comes out.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I find it ridiculous that the M9 was bashed so hard by media, reviewers and consumers for being an evolution of the previous versions. Most people said HTC took an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach" and that was a horrible decision and it may kill them.
However, all I hear about the new S7 is how fantastic it is that they just evolved the device rather than revolutionized it. That they took the right approach with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and making an iteration of the S6.

Soooo, HTC make a positive evolution of a great device and it is bashed, Samsung makes a positive evolution of a great device and it is praised. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I find it ridiculous that the M9 was bashed so hard by media, reviewers and consumers for being an evolution of the previous versions. Most people said HTC took an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach" and that was a horrible decision and it may kill them.
However, all I hear about the new S7 is how fantastic it is that they just evolved the device rather than revolutionized it. That they took the right approach with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and making an iteration of the S6.

Soooo, HTC make a positive evolution of a great device and it is bashed, Samsung makes a positive evolution of a great device and it is praised. I don't get it.

Welcome to the land of Android hypocrisy and double standard. Prime example, look at the reaction to the S7 bringing back the SD Card vs when HTC brought the feature back into its lineup. Yes, a lot of editors and commenters have had disdain for HTC ever since the M9 didn't live up to the renders shown prior to. Luckily here at AC they are very impartial about every device they review. HTC will never be given a fair shake as far as I'm concerned.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the land of Android hypocrisy and double standard. Prime example, look at the reaction to the S7 bringing back the SD Card vs when HTC brought the feature back into its lineup. Yes, a lot of editors and commenters have had disdain for HTC ever since the M9 didn't live up to the renders shown prior to. Luckily here at AC they are very impartial about every device they review. HTC will never be given a fair shake as far as I'm concerned.

When/if they get the camera right on the HTC10 they will build up a lot of consumer equity going forward. Also, they can't release beta software as a finished product. The phone was fine after several firmware/software updates but most people don't have the patience for that. It's their own fault.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
And lots of that goes back to the SnapDragon 810 having issues in the beginning and not HTC necessarily.

Guess it wont matter to me with no front facing speakers my interest in it goes way down. I listen to music on my device a lot more then i take pictures.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm not a Samsung fan in anyway, but I think the S7 is being given a pass by so many critics because it's pretty much what the S6 should've been. Sd card and water resistance are back, and those were the main pain points of the S6.

I came to the the M9 from a G3, so the quality of the M9 is crystal clear to me. I honestly think the M9 would have gotten a pass as well if HTC had knocked it out of the park with the camera.

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I just got an m9 last week, my first HTC phone. I always wanted to try one for the speakers.

I am impressed with the phone. Great speakers and a very fast phone overall. My only complaint is the location of the power button which I think is in a horrible position. Otherwise, if this phone has a 5.5" display it would be darn near perfect.

henrykrinkle

May 9, 2015
Visit site
It's almost comical how Samsung is being praised for making minor changes to the S6 while HTC was pilloried for doing the same with the M9. The only thing wrong with the M9 is that is was barely distinguishable from the M8. Sure, there were some initial problems with overheating but they were fixed. I just purchased the S7 Edge (not really by choice, had to replace a failing phone on another line) and cannot wait for the M10 to be released (another upgrade available in August). In terms of hardware the S7 is nice but there have been major bugs from day 1 and spending time with TouchWiz really makes you appreciate Sense. HTC needs a better ad campaign.

Bildriver

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I also really like, the M-9. I think what I like most about HTC devices is that they make it easy to personalize them. I hope the 10 does for them what the EVO did. Good things are coming. HTC will be back on top.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with Bildriver - I too hope the HTC 10 can breathe some life back into HTC. I loved my EVO on Sprint.
I also really liked the M7, M8 and M9 was so-so. So heres to being positive and hoping the 10 is a great device.

salutcemoi

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
It's almost comical how Samsung is being praised for making minor changes to the S6 while HTC was pilloried for doing the same with the M9. The only thing wrong with the M9 is that is was barely distinguishable from the M8. Sure, there were some initial problems with overheating but they were fixed. I just purchased the S7 Edge (not really by choice, had to replace a failing phone on another line) and cannot wait for the M10 to be released (another upgrade available in August). In terms of hardware the S7 is nice but there have been major bugs from day 1 and spending time with TouchWiz really makes you appreciate Sense. HTC needs a better ad campaign.

Minor changes?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a Samsung fan in anyway, but I think the S7 is being given a pass by so many critics because it's pretty much what the S6 should've been. Sd card and water resistance are back, and those were the main pain points of the S6.

I came to the the M9 from a G3, so the quality of the M9 is crystal clear to me. I honestly think the M9 would have gotten a pass as well if HTC had knocked it out of the park with the camera.

Yes I think he's right. Get the basics right and the phone is a winner. Put some extra features in and the phone is a classic piece of hardware. S7 this time did exactly that. Last year they refined the design. This year they completed the package with the basics and the extra features.

I've used both m8 and the m9. And honestly, the screen, the battery life and the camera were better on the m8 than the m9. You may disagree. I still love both phones as built quality and design are my first priority in owning a phone plus Sense is the best android skin out there. Having said that, this was my experience.

M8s screen was way more vibrant and alive. The battery life was very very good. And though mp count was low it took some great photos.

M9 screen is a little faded away. The battery life isn't that good. And the photos are...ummmmm well, the same. But it has so much potential. Just the software puts it down.

And also, with everyone in 2015 trying to go bezel less. I was hoping they'd do the same. But they came up with the same massive bezels.

So the basics; camera battery screen and design (bezels) didn't appeal to me. And I only used the phone for a month then changed. I won't say which one I'm using now because people go crazy. I'm just going to say that I love it.

And if the 10 gets screen battery and camera right, I'm going back.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463