Unknown cause for beep sound.. which is driving me insane

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Hello Everyone,
If someone can help me with this, I would be forever grateful and buy you a beer! I've tried everything and no one seems to be able to resolve it. Here's the context:

Problem: On most, but not all calls a tone beep occurs about every minute. The tone is loud and hurts my ears while doing (or receiving) a call, not to mention it's extremely annoying.

Phone & Carrier: Has occurred on both my old and new phone. Old phone was LG ThinQ 7 and new phone is Samsung S21 (128gig). I just got the new phone in December 2021. My carrier is Verizon and I'm on one of their regular 5G plans, not pre-paid.

Timeline: It's been happening for about 2 years. When I had my LG phone I could not resolve it even after speaking with both Verizon and LG techs on a conference call. I was hoping it would go away with my new phone since we could never resolve on my old LG, but sadly and maddingly it's still there! Argghh!

Details:
- With old LG phone nothing we did resolved it. Again, I worked with both Verizon and LG techs and no luck. We did everything including removing all apps and even factory resetting the phone.

- With the new S21 phone I worked with Verizon to test everything we could and nothing fixed it. They checked the signal strength and ran network tests. Finally it came down to 2 options: 1. safe mode or 2. factory reset. I had tried those before and they did not resolve it on the LG phone, but I tried again anyway. Strangely enough in trying safe mode for a couple days, I could not get the beeping to occur. So, Verizon thinks its an app on my phone, but I have no idea which one it would be and seems strange that the beeping still occurred on my LG when all the apps were removed with the factory reset. But maybe it's different with this phone. Anyway, I don't put games or garbage apps on my phone as I work in IT so I have at least some knowledge of the technical aspects and I'm very selective what I put on my phone. I pretty much use only well known apps, but there maybe some that don't fit that category. It's a real pain to try and go through removing apps one by one to see if I can find one that is causing the beeping, so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has had this issue or knows of any apps that are known for causing beeping like this.

- I did not do any transfer from my old phone (like using Smart Switch, Verizon backup & restore, etc). I set up the new S21 from scratch and loaded & configured all the apps manually as well as copied all data/files over manually. I did this to make sure I didn't 'copy over' any issues that might be causing the beeping.

- The beeps occur whether on cell or wifi calling

- The old 'minute minder' that was on previous Samsung models does not come on this phone and I certainly have no loaded it - even if it's available.

- At my location I usually have either 5 bars of 4G or 3 bags of 5G, so that shouldn't be the problem and Verizon network techs confirmed my signal is good my tracking it for a few days.

- My wifi is high speed (225 MB/sec) so that's not the issue, and again, beeping occurs whether I'm on wifi or cell signal.

- My wife's iPhone13 does not have beeping at the same location.

So, the bottom line: It appears it must be some setting or perhaps an app. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
best regards,
Jamie

Last edited:

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Did you say that you have tried disabling the Verizon apps such as Call Filter and so on, that you mentioned above in Post 32?

Yep, I disabled them again and the beeping continues! Arggghhhhhhhh!!!! Any other ideas, not already noted above? This problem is SUPER frustrating. And I can't believe I'm the only having the issue.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I disabled them again and the beeping continues! Arggghhhhhhhh!!!! Any other ideas, not already noted above? This problem is SUPER frustrating. And I can't believe I'm the only having the issue.

I’m very sorry but I can’t think what to suggest. I was about to scrape the barrel by suggesting removal of the SD card, but then learnt that the S21 doesn’t accept one.
I’ll keep the question in the back of my mind and post if anything occurs to me. Changing the phone and/or carrier has occurred to me, but that is a drastic remedy.

If you use your wife’s phone, all is well? I’m wondering - and this is verging on madness - that it may just be caused by something that you wear, such as a medical implant or some fancy watch or pager.

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
I’m very sorry but I can’t think what to suggest. I was about to scrape the barrel by suggesting removal of the SD card, but then learnt that the S21 doesn’t accept one.
I’ll keep the question in the back of my mind and post if anything occurs to me. Changing the phone and/or carrier has occurred to me, but that is a drastic remedy.

Thanks Belodion. Appreciate the thoughts and attempts to assist. This problem existed with my previous LG phone, so it does not appear to be a phone thing - my brand new phone is a Samsung S21. Changing the carrier is not really an option.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Belodion. Appreciate the thoughts and attempts to assist. This problem existed with my previous LG phone, so it does not appear to be a phone thing - my brand new phone is a Samsung S21. Changing the carrier is not really an option.

I added a bit to that post and I’ll ask one more question here: Does your wife hear the beeps if she uses your phone?
You’ll have to excuse the question, to which the answer is almost certainly an obvious Yes, but I shan’t rest until we’ve cracked this.

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
I added a bit to that post and I’ll ask one more question here: Does your wife hear the beeps if she uses your phone?
You’ll have to excuse the question, to which the answer is almost certainly an obvious Yes, but I shan’t rest until we’ve cracked this.

My wife's iPhone 13 works just fine, no beeping issue. And no implants/devices that might interfere with the cell signal.

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Also try this , in settings>sounds and vibration>volume tap>turn these 2 sliders Notifications/System all the way down and retest View attachment 341166

Update.. Spoke w/Verizon tech again and they corrected some programming for my phone on their end, so tried that for a few days...sadly it did not fix the issue. So, today/tomorrow I will try your new idea mustang7757 and see if it makes a difference.

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Honestly, I'm very surprised that no one else has encountered this issue, especially since I only use well known apps made by well know companies (i.e. Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, BitDefender, Amazon, Samsung, etc, et). This is so puzzling....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry no one has been able to figure this out!:-\

I know this would be a hassle, but can you ask your carrier to create a new number for you and port everything over with a new SIM, in case this has to do with your current number? Make sure to ask them not to charge you for this.

Maxeffortdroid

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
@ B.Diddy... That was an option I had thought of, if nothing else but to eliminate the phone #. Of course, though, this would be hugely disruptive for me as I use the phone for both work and personal. However, they are not ready to do so, because after further testing this week (not what I call extensive testing), I cannot get the beep to occur when the phone is in SAFE MODE. So, they are saying it must be software related or an app. I was hoping to resolve this without having to spend 2+ days re-configuring my phone (esp. since I use it for many things at work, including MFA). I looks like I pretty much have no other choice at this point.. sigh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt