Unlimited Data Plan

omegaglory23

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about switching from my iphone 4 to the GS2. My question is I currently have the unlimited data plan for my iphone, if I switch plans will I have to switch to the 2 GB data plan? Or wil I still be able to keep unlimited data? I do plan on using my upgrade to get the phone though.

BuddhaMunx

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
They just transfer you to the "4G" unlimited data plan. That's what they did to me, and I came from an iPhone also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

BugDad25

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I have changed phones twice and have been able to keep the grandfathered unlimited plan. One was from a Windows phone to an Android and the other from a Captivate to the Galaxy S II. If I can do so from a Windows phone to Android I would think you could from a I-phone.

But ask first :)

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is as long as you keep a phone that requires data, that plan will follow you. If you drop to a simple phone, you'll lose it and never get it back.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Speaking only about AT&T, if you have an unlimited data plan with your current, regardless of what type of phone it is, you can keep your unlimited plan with your new phone.

Keep in mind, at least with AT&T, that you can't upgrade through some, and possibly all, 3rd party retailers. For example, I couldn't get my SII through AmazonWireless because AT&T doesn't allow customers to keep their unlimited plans when upgrading through AW. I'm not sure if the same rules apply to BestBuy, Walmart, etc.

Inspector14

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from an iPhone 3gs to the sgs2, kept the unlimited data as well. Just be careful when the store does the switch, sometimes the system or the employee makes a mistake and the plan drops. They can put it back, but it takes days of verifying and paperwork. So check your account before you leave.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Dial *3282# from your phone and you will receive a text with your used data and texts. It will tell you if you are unlimited on data.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Speaking only about AT&T, if you have an unlimited data plan with your current, regardless of what type of phone it is, you can keep your unlimited plan with your new phone.

Keep in mind, at least with AT&T, that you can't upgrade through some, and possibly all, 3rd party retailers. For example, I couldn't get my SII through AmazonWireless because AT&T doesn't allow customers to keep their unlimited plans when upgrading through AW. I'm not sure if the same rules apply to BestBuy, Walmart, etc.

I think you may be partially wrong here. You can still keep unlimited plans, it is just a hassle. They require u to pick a plan, and unlimited is not an option, true. You need to contact support by phone (AT&T) and get it done through them after the fact, or during.

We upgraded a phone at Walmart and had to do this. Almost an hour on phone and had to talk to a supervisor to get confirmation.
Highly suggest writing.g down name, time, and date if you want to go through the hassle to save a few bucks.

captsmirk

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Not true with Amazon wireless. I purchased my SII through them and contacted AT&T prior to activating it when I received it. (which is what they told me to do before I even bought it)
Was able to keep my unlimited data plan without any problems.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not true with Amazon wireless. I purchased my SII through them and contacted AT&T prior to activating it when I received it. (which is what they told me to do before I even bought it)
Was able to keep my unlimited data plan without any problems.

Well, someone at AW needs better training! :D

niannello

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
So i left AT&T for Sprint when the epic 4g touch came out because att coverage just wasn't that great. but what i found out was that sprint's coverage was even worse. sprint let me return my epic 4g touch 28 days after i activated it (even though the policy says14 days) and i went back to att and got the sgs2 today. i actually like it more than the e4gt. anyways the point is, i got my old plan back since i was gone for such a short time (including my unlimited data plan). awesomeness

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Back on July 18, 2010 I went from the bb bis plan unlimited to the Samsung Captivate and kept my unlimited data. When I upgraded to the sgs2 I still got to keep the unlimited data otherwise, I would have just bought the i9100 if I had to sacrifice my data plan lol.

HTH,
Charlie

ttlphotography

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Having been thru this several times, the only way that you can lose your unlimited data is when you make a change to the data portion of your plan or get caught tethering when youre not paying for the tethering option(thats a whole different discussion). Or pick a family package that makes global changes to your whole plan.
You can change/upgrade your hardware(phone) at upgrade time or whenever if you buy a phone from say ebay or craigslist or the like. Equipment changes do not affect your plan setup at all. Some may tell you it will, but that is lack of understanding or training on the ATT employee part. You just then either walk away and try again later with a different employee or ask for the manager.
But ive changed hardware 4 times now and each time ive asked if it affects my plan and each time ive received the same answer.

cwells

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Once your grandfathered in to unlimited data you wont lose it unless you change it. I to switched from an iphone4 and I kept my unlimited data...