Unlock to black screen (wash, rinse, repeat)

Michael Ducellier

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I've got the same issue with my nexus 9.

I checked the Android Issue Tracker, an user open an issue 182309) : https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=182309

Contribute to this issue in order to help Android Team to identify it and (I cross my fingers :p) to fix it !

Michael Ducellier

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Good news ! Update from Android bug tracker:

Updates:
Owner: dnaga...

Comment #14 on issue 182309 by dnaga...: Screen turns off after unlock. Nexus 9

Hi,
We have passed this defect on to the development team and will update this issue with more information as it becomes available.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Good news ... After factory reset been a few weeks and no issues. Note I did not customize settings at all from baseline, eg still have hepatic feedback on keyboard, etc ... I've never gone this long without the issue creeping up.

FYI I did also restore apps, etc from a backup so perhaps it's something cached that got wiped out now or something in the combination of customizing settings, I did guess I also don't have developed features unlocked either, last time I did and I sped up the animations as the baseline is a little slow to transition out for me, but I have it all stock settings and good so far.

Posted via the Android Central App

JeffreyVB

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine does it about once or twice a week. Seems to happen when the tablet goes a day or two without use. Maybe i need to factory reset mine too.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Good news ... After factory reset been a few weeks and no issues. Note I did not customize settings at all from baseline, eg still have hepatic feedback on keyboard, etc ... I've never gone this long without the issue creeping up.

FYI I did also restore apps, etc from a backup so perhaps it's something cached that got wiped out now or something in the combination of customizing settings, I did guess I also don't have developed features unlocked either, last time I did and I sped up the animations as the baseline is a little slow to transition out for me, but I have it all stock settings and good so far.

I just hate to have to factory reset and reload all of my files, apps and everything back onto my N9. But, if this is the only solution right now, I'm willing to do it... I guess... lol

J

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Still no issues, unfortunately or fortunately if appears a reset has got me this far, going on a month + now without the issue.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Still no issues, unfortunately or fortunately if appears a reset has got me this far, going on a month + now without the issue.

Good to hear! Question, did you have issues with sluggish OS and apps crashing along with the black screen issue prior to resetting the tablet? If so, how is the overall performance?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Took your advice and performed a factory reset. So far (2nd day), no problems at all! Sluggish apps and OS, unlock to black screen, crashing Chrome seems to be fine now.

J

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Good deal ... mine went flawlessly until I just updated to 6.0 M but its been only a day so I'm giving it time to settle out, may just reset it again now (I know its not something you should have to do).

Samuel Gomes1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm running Android 6, with already security updates installed and this issue keep happening a lot and its very annoying.
I already post in the Google code thread just to give a little more pressure about this. I'm not factory reset the tablet everytime I install an update, no way, let Google fix this.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Android 6, with already security updates installed and this issue keep happening a lot and its very annoying.
I already post in the Google code thread just to give a little more pressure about this. I'm not factory reset the tablet everytime I install an update, no way, let Google fix this.

I've only had this happen once since receiving the new OS. Keeping everything crossed that it doesn't happen again. I agree, Google needs to fix this issue. Although, I'm wondering if it's an app causing this to happen.

J

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I've only had this happen once since receiving the new OS. Keeping everything crossed that it doesn't happen again. I agree, Google needs to fix this issue. Although, I'm wondering if it's an app causing this to happen.

J

Yeah I haven't had the issue since M update so hopefully it's resolved. It used to be continuous. Now if we can get memory management better ... I'm not holding my breath for the Pixel C using an nvidia chipset.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I haven't had the issue since M update so hopefully it's resolved. It used to be continuous. Now if we can get memory management better ... I'm not holding my breath for the Pixel C using an nvidia chipset.

Well, since posting that comment, I have only had one more experience with unlock to black (we need a proper acronym for that term "UTB"). All in all, things are the way they should have been from day one.

J

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It's kinda sad, but no not really, that UTB is now gone for me too ... In fact most issues that languished on for months appear ironed out now with 6.0.1

Goodbye, hopefully forever UTB

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It's kinda sad, but no not really, that UTB is now gone for me too ... In fact most issues that languished on for months appear ironed out now with 6.0.1

Goodbye, hopefully forever UTB

I can't recall receiving the dreaded UTB after 6.0.1 update. I do kinda miss posting things in this thread... But I can live with that loss :)

Keeping everything crossed it doesn't rear its ugly head again!

J

Ian Manzy

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Gentlemen!

UTB is back! Or at least it seems to be and definitely not confined to iterations of Android preceding Marshmallow! I am using a new Nexus 6p which I have not unlocked nor rooted at all (for the first time since I've been using Nexus devices) since I bought it 3 weeks ago. I started experiencing the Unlock To Black for the very first time just half an hour ago. A few important things to note: I DO have developer options turned on. The one system UI change I made to the phone yesterday which I believe may be half the culprit was enabling Daydream mode and choosing an animation for it while charging. The other half of the issue I suspect is a magnet mount in my car (there is a metal plate in the back of my Spigen case). Before the screen started unlocking to black, I had the phone plugged up to my car charger and when I picked the phone up from the magnet the screen would turn on to the selected Daydream animation, when I set it back down it would turn off. I did it several times to make certain the magnet was reproducing this behavior. At first, I thought it was cool! When I got out of my car and tried to unlock the phone the screen would blank out after I unlocked it. I have tried everything short of a factory reset. None of the aforementioned methods worked for me (unlock camera and back button, etc.). I suspect I might be able to reverse this issue by playing with the charger and magnet when I return to my car. Is it possible anyone else that had experienced this issue might have run into this issue after their device was in close proximity to a magnet? Anyhow, I'm glad I was able to do a Google seach about this issue and find that it has happened before. Any words or feedback on this matter are greatly appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred