Unsupported File with new photo

kocuba

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Hello just got the S21+ this past week. I've taken some pictures with the camera and they show up in Google Photos. But I was try the camera again today and noticed when I click on a photo after taking it from the camera app(thumbnail) It give me the Unsupported File message and then the thumbnail photo disappears.

Anyone know what I did wrong?

kocuba

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
No. But I figured it out. I transferred over a folder named .nomedia to the root. Renaming that got my pictures back. Turns out I guess I have to just have a file named .nomedia in that folder and that does the same job.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Glad you figured it out. You don't want to have a .nomedia file/folder in the root, because that means no image file in the root user directory or any other subdirectory will be displayed in any gallery app.

pres7012

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
Hello, my wife's S21 is doing this when downloading a photo from Google photos too. However, she can open it from the folder, but clicking on the downloaded notification tab and opening with Gallery, it says unsupported file. We also did the Smart Switch and transferred files from S8. My S21 doesn't do it, but hers does. Any ideas how to resolve? Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What file format are the downloads in? Are you downloading multiple photos at a time, or one by one?

pres7012

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
They are jpegs. Just downloading one photo. If I navigate to the folder it downloads it to, I can open it. But I cannot open the file in Gallery from the notification bar when the download is finished. I click the download on the notification panel after the download, open with Gallery, Gallery opens and a pop-up says "unsupported file."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As discussed earlier in this thread, you checked to make sure there isn't a .nomedia file in that folder, right?

classaxe

Jan 5, 2024
Visit site
Hello just got the S21+ this past week. I've taken some pictures with the camera and they show up in Google Photos. But I was try the camera again today and noticed when I click on a photo after taking it from the camera app(thumbnail) It give me the Unsupported File message and then the thumbnail photo disappears.

Anyone know what I did wrong?
My default storage medium was the SD Card. Sometimes my phone - Galaxy A51W - has problems writing to the SD Card so makes it read only. After restarting and confirming that there was no longer a message telling me 'SD Card set to read-only', I could take and view photos once again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My default storage medium was the SD Card. Sometimes my phone - Galaxy A51W - has problems writing to the SD Card so makes it read only. After restarting and confirming that there was no longer a message telling me 'SD Card set to read-only', I could take and view photos once again.
Welcome to Android Central! Since there's no write protection tab on a microSD card, that often suggests a faulty, corrupt, or counterfeit card. You might want to consider reformatting the card. In any case, make sure any important files on the card are backed up or synced somewhere safe, in case the card unexpectedly fails.

classaxe

Jan 5, 2024
Visit site
Thank you.
Actually, I did change the SD Card after experiencing this before, and intentionally bought a good brand high speed replacement specifically recommended for phones. Specifically I installed a 256GB Kingston Micro SDXC IU1 from my local Staples store. It looks identical to this one seen on Amazon:
This one is rated for video, although there are now higher speed replacements designed for 4K video.

But what you say makes sense. Much appreciated.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.
Actually, I did change the SD Card after experiencing this before, and intentionally bought a good brand high speed replacement specifically recommended for phones. Specifically I installed a 256GB Kingston Micro SDXC IU1 from my local Staples store. It looks identical to this one seen on Amazon:
This one is rated for video, although there are now higher speed replacements designed for 4K video.

But what you say makes sense. Much appreciated.
I see -- but are you saying the problem still happens even after replacing the card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the card formatted FAT32 or some other format?

Try also cleaning the SD card slot. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out.

Reactions: BerryBubbles